Author Topic: I have a list of 28 Opamps and I need your experience.  (Read 5666 times)

Offline Avelino SampaioTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I have a list of 28 Opamps and I need your experience.
« on: August 08, 2022, 02:17:24 pm »
Hi!

This year I decided to invest $100.00 in Opamps. See my list in image 1.

Now I need your experience to define, in order of priority, the best ones for each project (image 2). I would like you to indicate me three per project. I will try to specify what I want to achieve in each project. Let's start with the PSU.

Floating PSU (image 3).

* Vmax=18v / Imax=2A / CV and CC
* CV with full priority, getting the best possible transient response.
* A protection transistor will be inserted in the project, to respond faster if the output is shorted.
* Less noise possible.

What are the top three Opamps on my list for this project? I would very much like you to justify the reasons for your choice, so that I can acquire better knowledge.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 03:37:11 pm by Avelino Sampaio »

Offline MasterT

• Frequent Contributor
Re: I have a list of 28 Opamps and I need your experience.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 02:33:13 pm »
Circuits is non functional, +-5V is not enough to control 19V

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 02:39:12 pm »
The "ground" of the +/- 5V rails seems to be connected to the power supply output -- where it says "18V".

Offline MasterT

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 02:50:45 pm »
If so, than +3V is virtually -15V - way below -5V power line.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 03:39:33 pm »
Nesse caso, +3V é praticamente -15V - muito abaixo da linha de alimentação de -5V.

Thanks. I changed the design. I hope I got it right.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 03:45:00 pm »
The power supply part would likely need some extra compensation, unless one uses a pretty slow OP-amp (LM358 may be slow enough).

If precision is not top priority the RC4558 should be a reasonable pick - probably good enough. The NE5532 may also work but is kind of overkill. If good precision for the current is wanted, the OP27 or ADA4075  (about similar to the OP27) may be an option.
Noise wise (CV mode) the reference can be more a factor than the OP-amps. For the amps part the noise may matter, but usually the amps mode is more like lower priority.

The following users thanked this post: Avelino Sampaio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 04:47:19 pm »
The power supply part would likely need some extra compensation, unless one uses a pretty slow OP-amp (LM358 may be slow enough).

The drawing I presented is very incomplete, being only a small representation. Yes, there will be compensation. The use of the LM358, for being slow, would force me to increase the value of the output capacitor, to compensate in the transient response? And wouldn't that affect the CC answer?

If precision is not top priority the RC4558 should be a reasonable pick - probably good enough.

When you refer to accuracy, are you referring to Offset voltage? Is there anything else that influences accuracy?

The NE5532 may also work but is kind of overkill.

What does exaggerated mean? An SR=9v/us ? BW=10MB ?

I would like to know what is the line that divides the Opamps, considered slow, moderate and fast. For example, is a sr up to 2 considered slow for this project? Between 2 and 7 is moderate ?

If good precision for the current is wanted, the OP27 or ADA4075  (about similar to the OP27) may be an option.

Would you choose different Opamps in this project of mine? For example, a faster one for CV and a slower one for CC. Does this have any foundation?

Noise wise (CV mode) the reference can be more a factor than the OP-amps. For the amps part the noise may matter, but usually the amps mode is more like lower priority.

Understood.

Offline blackdog

• Frequent Contributor
  • Please stop pushing bullshit...
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 10:45:32 am »
Bom dia Avelino Sampaio,  ;)

I have searched extensively for opamp that can be properly applied to control loops for linear power supplies.

These are the specifications I have emphasized:
Minimum 12V Supply Voltage
Slew rate >10V/uSec
Wide phase margin > 75 degrees at normal load capacitance
Low noise
Fet inputs if posible

Candidates
No1
The best opamp found so far is the ADA4625-1.
This one gets up to about a 90 degree pase margin.
The dual version of this opamp has a clearly worse pase margin and common mode input capacity.

No2
Another of Analog Devices is the ADA4522-1 this also has a pretty good phase margin with a normal capecative load at the output, this is around 75 degrees.
This opamp has a number of other advantages which are:
Auto zero
Low bias currents up to 50 Celsius.
High supply voltage possible, up to 55V.
Low 1/f noise
What is unfortunate is this low -PSRR, but with good decoupling this can be controlled
Also, the phase margin is dependent on the supply voltage.
The phase margin in the datasheet of this opamp is given at 50pF load of the opamp output.
With a good design, this can be significantly less, which is why I indicate 75 Degrees.

Kind regards,
Bram
Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 12:46:45 pm »
Of the ones on your list that I am familiar with, the LM358 is perfectly adequate for this and its low bandwidth will simplify frequency compensation.

Using a faster operational amplifier will improve performance only up to the point where additional frequency compensation must be added to make it stable.  The output resistance from the transistors and output capacitance are usually what limits performance, and some designs minimize the output capacitance for better performance but this requires careful consideration of the frequency compensation.

HP made a lot of power supplies which use the same idea of floating low voltage rails for the control circuits.

Another of Analog Devices is the ADA4522-1

What is unfortunate is this low -PSRR, but with good decoupling this can be controlled

Isn't the PSRR 150dB or higher?  A lower negative PSRR is normal but common.

Usually the recovery time of a chopper stabilized amplifier would preclude it from this application, but the ADA4522-1 recovers pretty fast.  Some recover extremely slowly.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:59:14 pm by David Hess »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 02:03:12 pm »
Bram:

thank you very much for the nominations but it has to be a nomination for my list. I do not intend to invest in other opamps.

A curiosity - in your NA-01 project you used the ADA4077 (sr=1.2v/Us , Bw=4M , Margin of 55%). A modest SR, compared to its indication. This makes me very confused.

David Hess:

OP27, nominated by Kleinstein, seems to be a good candidate as well. It already has a high compensation (image 1) and a good phase margin (image 2). (sr=2.8v and BW=8M). What do you think ?

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 02:56:14 pm »
OP27, nominated by Kleinstein, seems to be a good candidate as well. It already has a high compensation (image 1) and a good phase margin (image 2). (sr=2.8v and BW=8M). What do you think ?

I used an LT1007, which was Linear Technology's version of an OP27, in my last power supply for low noise, but it required extra frequency compensation for good transient response.  In retrospect a 1 MHz LT1001 (OP07 equivalent), or an even slower part, would have been just as good or maybe better.  The extra frequency compensation needed by a faster part lowers the bandwidth and slew rate leaving performance mostly back where it would have been with a slower part.

Most precision operational amplifiers, including the OP07, OP27, LT1001, and LT1007, have a limited input differential voltage range which can be a problem because the current or voltage error amplifier which is not currently active will have a voltage applied across its input.  The current into the inputs needs to be limited to prevent damage, and the effective short across the inputs needs to not affect circuit operation.

Offline blackdog

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 05:46:01 pm »
Hi Avelino Sampaio,

Power supplies look easy but are definitely not.

The schematic you're talking about dates back at least 10 years, when those fancy modern opamps weren't available.

The ADA4077 is a beautiful opamp and the 1.2V/uSec is certainly fast enough for a good LAB power supply.
You do need a fast and good Power section if you use the ADA4077 as shown in my schematic.

The reason I started experimenting with the ADA4077 is because in the first datasheet that came out a much wider phase margin was mentioned...
But of course I could not really stick to that, because on that datasheet it said "provisional".
In the end, the fast Power section showed in my schematic gives a good performance.

This just as I indicated to you, that this also with an LM324 opamp posible with a good fast power section. :-)
It doesn't always make sense to figure everything out optimally, you also have to take your application into account.
I got the nicest and most wideband low Ri of my design with 2x the 2SA1943 + 2SC2911 and then with two low inductance resistors for the current sense resistors(0.1 Ohm), short wiring and tuned output network direct over output connectors of the power supply.

For an impression of how good that power section can be, below is a picture of the impedance measurement.
"F" is the double compound power section, with 2x 2SA1943 and de filter in de picture.

The output impedance is certainly a magnitude better than I have been able to find from other LAB power supplies.
However, very good types have come out in recent years from some IC manufacturers with very low noise and wideband low Ri.
But of course those are not LAB power supplies.

In a private email to Avelino Sampaio I had already explained that that very nice low Ri that is possible with my design, disappears like snow in the sun due to long and/or bad cabling!
Why then still design it so that the Ri is very low....
You can as example then e.g. connect multiple loads to the power supply without them affecting each other.

So it really depends on your application and how well you are going to make it.

Not to mention, it also depends on your knowledge and measurement equipment and measurement setup how well you're going to get it.
The optimal result is pretty hard to get right.
You can compare it a bit to building a good 10V Voltage Reference, pretty simple in schematic, but oh so hard to keep it within 1PPM between 20 and 30 Celsius and load variations.

Some tips for the builders of linear power supplies.
2N3055 type power transistors are too slow.
Most old types Darlingtons are too slow.

These above type transistors cause the phase margin to become too small for a relative fast responding current and voltage loop.
One then often solves this by e.g. making the currrent loop much too slow, don't do that!
Use good and not China junk power transistors.
And certainly they can make good components in China, but through ebay and aliexpress this is almost impossible to find them.

Use good Motorola audio transistors (if you can still get them original) like the MJ21193 - PNP MJ21194 - NPN series.
These have a Ft of around 7-Mhz.
This makes the internal cabling in the power supply less critical for oscilations.

The 2SC5200/2SA1943 are of course also good(Fairchild and On Semi make them with differetnt parnumbers),
but because of their high Ft they can give problems, usually this can be solved by a capacitor at the input of the power section that compensates the impedance of the longer wiring to the buffer capacitor.

Most of the Sanken power transistor you can also use.
If you can order at Mouser or another company, look at the NJL1302DG and th NJL3281DG these ar "Thermaltrek" power transistors from ON-Semi.

These transistors have an extra diode in the housing intended for temperature sensing of audio amplifiers.
For power supplies you can use them for driving the fan control.

Short side jump
I use these transistors (four pieces) to heat an oven and the diodes drive the opamp for the temperature control, which works very well!

Conclusion
Especially for beginners, it is better not to try to get the most out of it.
Use medium speed power transistors and as I have already shown you can make a very good power supply with a NE5534A (YES! the "A" type) that is low noise and fast enough to respond.
With the advantage that you can then also compensate the opamp as needed.
I use at least five different types of power supplies, one sites fits all is not really possible.

When building a linear power supply, you can learn a lot.
Remember that every piece of wire has resistance and inductance.
So also on the wires of the capacitors, or the wires that are e.g. on induction low resistors.
You will notice this for example when you start connecting the sens wires and the network that comes over the terminals of the power supply.

This is not of course incomplete, but keeping it reasonably legible is for is hard enough for this "Dyslexic Monky" <= Thats Me! *Grin*

Kind regards,
Bram
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 07:00:13 pm by blackdog »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 07:15:40 pm »
Some tips for the builders of linear power supplies.
2N3055 type power transistors are too slow.
Most old types Darlingtons are too slow.

It depends on the application.  For a power supply with 50+ microfarads of aluminum electrolytic output capacitance per amp, they are fast enough.  There are a lot of regulated power supplies built with transistors slower than the modern 2N3055.

Use good Motorola audio transistors (if you can still get them original) like the MJ21193 - PNP MJ21194 - NPN series.
These have a Ft of around 7-Mhz.
This makes the internal cabling in the power supply less critical for oscilations.

Modern audio power transistors are a great choice.  The original ring emitter transistors like the DH44/DH45 series work well for even higher performance but are faster so more attention has to be paid to local oscillations.

Offline blackdog

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 07:49:08 pm »
Hi  David Hess,

Psttt, don't tell anyone, but one of my treasured power supplies here on my workbench (Dutch DELTA D030-1) has 2N3055 transistors....  :-DD

The DH44/DH45 series transistors are nicely fast, but also less robust, I did tests with four of them and they didn't stay alive a few times in my design.
When working out the schematic even better, they will probably be good to use.

But as you point out, the speed of these transistors makes it difficult to keep them HF stable.

Kind regards,
Bram

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 08:59:41 pm »
I used an LT1007, which was Linear Technology's version of an OP27, in my last power supply for low noise, but it required extra frequency compensation for good transient response.  In retrospect a 1 MHz LT1001 (OP07 equivalent), or an even slower part, would have been just as good or maybe better.  The extra frequency compensation needed by a faster part lowers the bandwidth and slew rate leaving performance mostly back where it would have been with a slower part.

It was very enlightening. Thanks

Use medium speed power transistors and as I have already shown you can make a very good power supply with a NE5534A (YES! the "A" type) that is low noise and fast enough to respond.
With the advantage that you can then also compensate the opamp as needed.

I don't have the "A". And as for the ADA4075, what do you think? Fast, accurate and has a very interesting phase margin.

https://datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/1809171712_Analog-Devices-ADA4075-2ARZ-R7_C143913.pdf

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2022, 10:02:56 pm »
Psttt, don't tell anyone, but one of my treasured power supplies here on my workbench (Dutch DELTA D030-1) has 2N3055 transistors....  :-DD

Several power supplies that I have rebuilt use 2N3771 (40V, 30A, 150W) power transistors which only have a specified minimum Ft of 0.2 MHz instead of the 2.0 MHz of a typical 2N3055.  My kit variable power supply on my bench is a 723/2N3055.

The DH44/DH45 series transistors are nicely fast, but also less robust, I did tests with four of them and they didn't stay alive a few times in my design.

Their lower secondary breakdown safe-operating-area definitely needs to be taken into account.

But as you point out, the speed of these transistors makes it difficult to keep them HF stable.

I would say less forgiving rather than difficult.  We get away with a lot with big slow bipolar power transistors.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2022, 12:02:47 am »
Hi!

Well, I've completed my list of opamps, candidates for use in linear PSU projects.

Here's a video I found on YT, explaining in a simple way, the importance of maintaining a phase margin and a gain margin, to achieve good stability.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2022, 07:53:30 am »
HI

It is time to list the possible candidates for the design of an electronic load, with the following specifications: