Author Topic: I need help understanding a SMU voltage measurement circuitry  (Read 274 times)

Offline DanielDlouhyTopic starter

Hello everyone!
I am working on designing my own Source Measure Unit and I was looking how to make the voltage measurement circuitry. The output is floating, so it has to be a differential measurement. Because my biggest inspiration is the mighty Keithley 236, I looked there for inspiration. And I don't seem to understand the circuit fully... Because in my head it can't work up to 110 V, as it should. Even the simulator (falstad - website) didn't help.

I also found a simplified schematic made by Jaromír Sukuba, that he used in his diy SMU. (see attachment)
https://github.com/jaromir-sukuba/J-SMU

Just to clarify, the 15V0+ and 15V0- are floating. But still, the voltage difference between SEN- and SEN+ is up to 110V and I don't know how this circuit is able to measure that. When the input op amps can't handle more that about +-15V and it's even clamped using diodes D4 and D5 :( . I know it has to be something with the floating power supply, but I can't quite understand it, can someone help me understand it, please?

Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 06:21:07 pm by DanielDlouhy »

Offline jaromir

• Supporter
Re: I need help understanding a SMU voltage measurement circuitry
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 05:56:29 pm »
Hi there.

Potential on SEN+ is close to +-15V ground potential (the difference being votlage drop on current sense resistor)
Potential on SEN- is negative with respect to +-15V ground when output voltage is positive. +-15VO ground potential is floating near SEN- potential. Voltage on U11 output follows its input (that is, SEN- voltage), and is divided down using R29/R28 divider, and therefore brought to levels within +-15V range.

My name is Jaromir Sukuba.

The following users thanked this post: DanielDlouhy

Offline DanielDlouhyTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 06:16:22 pm »
Thank you very much, or should I say Děkuji mockrát! :)
I didn't realize that SEN+ is so close to the ground potential, now it makes much more sense... I will take a look at this more, and I may write again :) But for now, a big thanks!

And I am really sorry that I misspelled your name, I will fix it right away.  :palm:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 06:21:44 pm by DanielDlouhy »

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 12:36:49 am »
So what do people test with high voltages like that? And do SMU's use AC sweeping voltage like a Curve Tracer ? I gather a SMU can be a current or voltage, sink or source, is it basically just DC tho, and people still use the HV for testing transistors/diodes or even leakage testing caps?

I copied a Heathkit Curve Tracer, but still never finished the op-amp section, and now I want to use a micro-controller with it. I'd love to try to copy an old, low voltage version of these, or just leave out most the HV section.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf