Author Topic: I would like to make a receiver for my RF signal generator  (Read 2523 times)

Offline zdelarosa00Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Manipulate your machine, you're a Technomancer...
I would like to make a receiver for my RF signal generator
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:24:51 pm »
Hi, I have this really old RF generator O0 (image link below), and it can output in a range from 150KHz to 435MHz, i’m really not sure if its FM or AM (maybe you can help me tell?), and I have nothing to listen to it :-BROKE , I would like to make one of those DIY receiver boards :box: , but they are for commercial radio and i have found that they tune other ranges above the ones I want, maybe you can help me out listing parts or giving me a schematic? im talking simple ic’s and a couple of tuners and switches thing :-/O . Thanks (: (stepping up my smiley game)
Space landfill waste consultants say: "If you think you can or if you think you can't you're right" - Always on my way to be a better electronic wizard

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: I would like to make a receiver for my RF signal generator
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 11:34:27 pm »
My Spanish isn't exactly stellar, but it looks like it's got an adjustable modulation level, and external input.  I'd guess it's much like the classic kind, where the modulation is transformer coupled to the oscillator supply.  Since the oscillator runs in saturation, this varies the output amplitude, giving AM.

To listen to the modulation, it should be enough to connect a diode to the output.  Crude, but effective.

Is it vacuum tube or solid state?  Take pics inside 8) 8)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 12:40:45 am »
There are lots and lots of receiver plans available online, if you look among the ham radio homebrew community. Everything from tuned RF receivers,  regerative receivers, super heterodyne recovers, direct conversion, etc. lots to experiment with.

If you just want to check operation, a shortwave receiver can be used.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 12:42:39 am »
Would a Software Defined Radio dongle be of any use?

They are usually cheap and the software is freely available.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 12:44:10 am »
It is indeed tubes  :scared: ! GE tubes.... Okay so the simplest is wiring a diode and a speaker to the outpu t??? AM then it is... (: sorry for the long wait :palm:

http://imgur.com/a/o0M5z
Space landfill waste consultants say: "If you think you can or if you think you can't you're right" - Always on my way to be a better electronic wizard

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 01:38:40 am »
Ah yup, looks like a newer (maybe or not nicer) version of the Eico 322 I have.  Audio modulation, changes the plate voltage a little thus modulating the RF output slightly.  That's what the transformer is doing, strapped on there.

The RF output level is high impedance (perhaps 1kohm at the maximum amplitude setting), not particularly powerful, and pretty high in distortion (which might be seen as an advantage or a hindrance).  My 322 typically shows 10-20 nice strong harmonics on the spectrum, of varying amplitudes as the frequency and band are adjusted.

As an instrument, it's pretty pitiful.  A low impedance buffer, transformer, or other matching circuit, would be highly valuable for improving power output, and generally making it useful among 50 ohm systems.  Not much can really be done about the distortion, either for reducing or eliminating it, or for trying to make it more consistent (the harmonics might be useful if they were a known and stable level for all ranges).  The harmonics vary because of the class C oscillator (= distortion generator), the varying capacitance (shunts the harmonics differently over frequency), and resonant modes of the coils (which are especially important on the higher ranges, where peaks and dips occur).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 11:58:24 am »
Yeah, i didnt actually expect much of it, i think its fairly simple to modify the output to something more simple. Funny what you say about the Eico brand, i found this and also a tube oscilloscope laying around at ny grandpa's house, the oscilloscope was an Eico 427 i think, i will catch photos of it later for you (:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf