Author Topic: Identifying surface-mount fuses?  (Read 3679 times)

Offline ThisDoesNotComputeTopic starter

• Contributor
    • This Does Not Compute
Identifying surface-mount fuses?
« on: March 27, 2014, 02:14:33 am »
Hello all,

I've been working on a bit of a project lately, trying to resurrect a Nintendo Game Boy Color that won't power on. I've determined that one of the surface-mount fuses is blown, and unlike a lot of others who repair Game Boys (who just bodge a wire across the terminals and say "good enough") I'd like to actually replace it. I haven't found any information online as to what specific fuse I need, and I don't know a ton about identifying the different types of surface-mount packages. Below is a photo of the fuse, located at F1. Clearly it's rated for 1A, but I have no idea about determining voltage. Based on what Nintendo's put in other Game Boys, it's a fast blow, but that's about all I know. Can anyone offer some advice as to how I can figure out what replacement fuse to get?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:42:41 am by ThisDoesNotCompute »

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Identifying surface-mount capacitors?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 02:20:37 am »
Clearly it's rated for 1A, but I have no idea about determining voltage

Only the current and blow speed is important.  Voltage is not (W=I2R, and it's the W that causes it to blow)

NB: Your title is asking about capacitors, but the message is about fuses.  Quite different things :)  Luckily for you it's a fuse that you want to know about, because surface mount caps are seldom marked.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline ThisDoesNotComputeTopic starter

• Contributor
    • This Does Not Compute
Re: Identifying surface-mount capacitors?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 02:42:24 am »
Clearly it's rated for 1A, but I have no idea about determining voltage

Only the current and blow speed is important.  Voltage is not (W=I2R, and it's the W that causes it to blow)

NB: Your title is asking about capacitors, but the message is about fuses.  Quite different things :)  Luckily for you it's a fuse that you want to know about, because surface mount caps are seldom marked.

OK, so that's good to know about the voltage.

And yes, I'm talking about fuses. Why I put capacitors in the title is beyond me...it's late and I'm tired.  ::)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: Identifying surface-mount fuses?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 03:03:14 am »
The fuse voltage rating indicates the max voltage is guaranteed not to pass after it blows.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf