Author Topic: IEC connector crimps  (Read 1289 times)

Offline bifferosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
IEC connector crimps
« on: June 26, 2022, 12:21:45 pm »
I've bought some IEC connectors they have spade connectors that seem to match the standard 4.8mm crimp size, however they have oversized holes compared to the standard crimp spades.  Can I just use the normal crimps with these or is there something special I need to use?   The hole is about 2.8mm.

Thanks!

Offline geggi1

• Frequent Contributor
Re: IEC connector crimps
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 02:18:56 pm »
I beleve these are for soldering.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 04:10:21 pm »
They fit the standard spade connections fine, the big hole is for soldering, but the spade connectors grip the side, and hold well enough.

The following users thanked this post: bifferos

Offline Jeff eelcr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 06:17:48 pm »
If in doubt use high temp fastons as these will be stronger.
Jeff

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 03:59:52 pm »
You could use spade connectors but they best be high quality units.  I've become jaded with respect ot spade connectors as there are too many unit (spade crimps) of poor quality that either fall off or end up smoking pretty badly.   If you really want to go spade, buy high quality crimps and make sure they are properly installed.

Is there a problem with soldering the wires directly to the IEC entry unit?   This is often a better choice.

Offline bifferosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 02:44:33 pm »
They look to be holding well. I made the mistake of trying to use 1.5mm cable with the blue crimps, but once I switched to 2.5mm all was well, and they passed my 'pull out' test.  The crimp itself is holding pretty well on the spade too.  I got the crimps off Amazon.

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 08:54:45 pm »
You could use spade connectors but they best be high quality units.  I've become jaded with respect ot spade connectors as there are too many unit (spade crimps) of poor quality that either fall off or end up smoking pretty badly.   If you really want to go spade, buy high quality crimps and make sure they are properly installed.

That's what happens if you use the insulated spade connectors.
Buy a proper crimp tool (yes, $100+) and use the uninsulated ones. They hold better than solder. Dedicated loose sheaths or crimp tubing on top.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 05:36:33 pm »

That's what happens if you use the insulated spade connectors.
Buy a proper crimp tool (yes, $100+) and use the uninsulated ones. They hold better than solder. Dedicated loose sheaths or crimp tubing on top.
In either case, insulated or not I've found that a lot of the spade connectors are just too cheap to hold up to the full current ratings of an IEC socket.   You are far better off buying your crimp connectors from a reputable manufacture and yes using their recommended crimp tool.   A good crimp tool does nothing for connectors that don't grip the spade correctly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf