Author Topic: Instagram seems to have done a mass banning of electronics accounts  (Read 4450 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Instagram seems to have done a mass banning of electronics accounts
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 08:42:02 pm »
Personally I have never seen the need to have a FB, twitter, or Instagram account. I see absolutely no value is these services. Just a bunch of lemmings following other lemmings over the cliff.

If you are selling stuff to said lemmings before they go over the cliff, these services are useful to you!

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2021, 08:55:16 pm »
I think from a business perspective you'd be crazy not to utilise social media. You need to advertise and engage where people are looking, and that isn't TV, radio or newspaper anymore.

The problem is that the ecosystem is currently an oligopoly that colludes with other media oligarchs to ensure that competition is stifled if not stamped out. See Parler as an example.

Unfortunately people en masse gave the big few social media platforms all their power, to the point where even government agencies are dependant on them as a service.

Decentralised social media federations are in the works, where the contents of multiple platforms and individual content streams can be collated to provide a larger web of content and a level of immunity from any one entity having the power to ban, censor or generally screw with.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2021, 09:36:42 pm »
Personally I have never seen the need to have a FB, twitter, or Instagram account. I see absolutely no value is these services. Just a bunch of lemmings following other lemmings over the cliff.

Move along then, you have zero reason to post in this thread.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: edavid, tooki

Offline cortex_m0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2021, 12:36:16 am »
Yes, a company cannot  do whatever they want.
If you want to dump dangerous waste material in the ground on your company premises, the environment agency will fine you.
You cannot fire employees without a reason. They very well may sue you for doing such think and win.

American here. Yes, you can fire employees at any time without cause. The only thing you cannot do is fire someone for being in a protected class. A new boss can't come in and fire everyone wearing a yarmulke, for example, because religion is a protected class. However, the boss can come in and lay off a whole department because they want to outsource that function -- even if that department were predominantly composed of Jews. An employer would be within their rights to layoff employees by pulling names from a hat, although that would be a pretty stupid way to go about it.

Wrongful termination lawsuits in the United States are usually contractual matters. If there is a union contract in place, or an employment contract, the terms of that contract can be litigated. The most common thing is whether severance pay is called for and whether the prescribed amount of severance was paid.

I do however agree that there should be a means to reach customer service for these companies. I blame Google for that in large part - there was never good customer support for Gmail, even though one's email account is a critical piece of infrastructure for their online life.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 07:55:05 am »
Yes, a company cannot  do whatever they want.
If you want to dump dangerous waste material in the ground on your company premises, the environment agency will fine you.
You cannot fire employees without a reason. They very well may sue you for doing such think and win.

American here. Yes, you can fire employees at any time without cause. The only thing you cannot do is fire someone for being in a protected class. A new boss can't come in and fire everyone wearing a yarmulke, for example, because religion is a protected class. However, the boss can come in and lay off a whole department because they want to outsource that function -- even if that department were predominantly composed of Jews. An employer would be within their rights to layoff employees by pulling names from a hat, although that would be a pretty stupid way to go about it.

Wrongful termination lawsuits in the United States are usually contractual matters. If there is a union contract in place, or an employment contract, the terms of that contract can be litigated. The most common thing is whether severance pay is called for and whether the prescribed amount of severance was paid.

I do however agree that there should be a means to reach customer service for these companies. I blame Google for that in large part - there was never good customer support for Gmail, even though one's email account is a critical piece of infrastructure for their online life.
Yeah, but in large part of America , you can shoot someone for trespassing in your garden. And you get like 0 payed holiday a year. So it shouldn't be the level, we are measuring ourselves to. I'm not surprised that your laws are not protecting the employees. The OP isn't American. Applying the US law to foreigners, even if something happens online, and the company is located in the US... is a very very bad idea.

Offline mvs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 09:52:16 am »
The OP isn't American. Applying the US law to foreigners, even if something happens online, and the company is located in the US... is a very very bad idea.
Yes, but it was not a personal account of OP. B2B relations are much less regulated then B2C, even in the EU.
There is a freedom of contract and applicable law can be defined there.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:13:31 am by mvs »

Offline bobgotit

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2021, 01:16:03 am »
 Maybe it's :-// another creator trying to get rid of the competition :-//

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2022, 02:01:36 am »
They are composed of software engineers.

(I am an SE myself so I know what I'm talking about.)

But, are the software engineers making the business decisions?

The senior execs (of these tech giants) might have been from software engineering background, but once they moved into a management position, they likely do not think like a software person anymore.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 02:04:29 am by Rick Law »

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2022, 02:23:57 am »
They are composed of software engineers.

(I am an SE myself so I know what I'm talking about.)

But, are the software engineers making the business decisions?

The senior execs (of these tech giants) might have been from software engineering background, but once they moved into a management position, they likely do not think like a software person anymore.

That was one year ago.

The topic was resurrected yesterday by a 1 message poster, kseniacygan, with a generic reply that doesn't make much sense in the context.  Probably a chat bot.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2022, 05:16:38 am »
People, people, people...Do not base your living income on (anti)social media. Get a real job.
Posted at eevblog.com ;)
Forums have not generally been considered social media.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf