Author Topic: Instek-PC3030 questions  (Read 297 times)

Offline FlameTai1Topic starter

• Punkheads!
Instek-PC3030 questions
« on: January 04, 2024, 11:32:04 pm »
Hi all, about to pick up an older style DC power supply, while I'm okay with it having analog displays, I was curious how hard of a project would it be to convert the displays to digital? Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Pic is of the one I'll be snagging up!

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Re: Instek-PC3030 questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 12:52:37 am »
I have two of those exact same supplies.  Been on the bench for years now.  Powered lots of projects and works fine for what it is.  Only ever had one output diode problem that was pretty easy to fix.
About the only time they get use these days though is in parallel/series with the Rigol DP832 when I need more current or voltage.

I would personally say it's not worth it to mess with the analog displays.  The front panel pots are really pretty coarse.  So unless you also plan on changing the set point adjustments too you aren't getting a lot.  If you need better readout, just put a meter on the output and monitor it that way.

The following users thanked this post: FlameTai1

Offline FlameTai1Topic starter

• Punkheads!
Re: Instek-PC3030 questions
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 02:58:04 am »
Really appreciate the input! Actually an electrician by trade so good point on the multimeter. I'm 32, finally starting to delve into the world of ICs and learning about everything that I can for it. I know a decent amount already but never had the tools (oscilloscope, etc) to properly diagnose issues and/or prototype my own boards. Super excited to do so though! Have only ever replaced bad components and blown caps when obvious to the eye, which is far and few nowadays with them getting smaller and smaller lol!

Actually perked my interest big time to get into board prototyping because of my Flipper Zero  :-DD

Anyway, not looking to make it extravagant or super accurate, was actually just looking at it as a possible learning experience that would just have an upside to it as well tbh!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf