Author Topic: Is it effective to wear an ESD wrist strap on ankle  (Read 1096 times)

Offline matthuszaghTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Is it effective to wear an ESD wrist strap on ankle
« on: July 14, 2021, 04:26:10 pm »
I discovered that it's significantly more convenient for me, while working at my workstation, to wear my ESD wrist strap on my ankle rather than my wrist. This interferes less with my work.

Does this provide as good (or nearly as good) ESD protection as wearing the wrist strap on my wrist? I guess this comes down to a question of whether two different points on the skin can maintain a non-negligible voltage. Thoughts?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Is it effective to wear an ESD wrist strap on ankle
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 04:34:21 pm »
I guess this comes down to a question of whether two different points on the skin can maintain a non-negligible voltage. Thoughts?
Only when you are under process of electrocution... or your species are electric eel.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 04:36:12 pm »
The human body itself is fairly conductive (Just measure resistance between your left and right hand with a DMM) so it does not matter where you GND yourself.

Those ankle straps do have to connect to something though. If you walk at home over your plastic carper it does not work.

Those ankle straps are normally used in area's where people work with electronics for a living such as PCB assembly houses. and there the whole floor is an ESD mat.

If you have a grounded SMD mat on you desk, you can also go stand on your desk with your heel strap.

Offline matthuszaghTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 04:42:52 pm »
Those ankle straps do have to connect to something though. If you walk at home over your plastic carper it does not work.

I use it just like I would a wrist strap (in fact, it is actually a wrist strap, just used on my ankle). That is, the ankle strap is connected via a 1M resistor to earth ground. The ESD mat I work on is also connected via a 1M resistor to earth ground.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 05:13:00 pm »
Just FYI:  When flammable anesthetics were used (e.g., cyclopropane), the ESD protective connection was made at the foot.  Also, ESD straps designed for attachment to the lower leg are commercially available: https://www.antistat.com/product/esd-heel-strap-with-clip-fastener-fluorescent/

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 05:16:39 pm »
I discovered that it's significantly more convenient for me, while working at my workstation, to wear my ESD wrist strap on my ankle rather than my wrist. This interferes less with my work.

Does this provide as good (or nearly as good) ESD protection as wearing the wrist strap on my wrist? I guess this comes down to a question of whether two different points on the skin can maintain a non-negligible voltage. Thoughts?
In big labs, it’s common to use a conductive floor finish and conductive shoes/sandals/clogs in lieu of wrist straps. So yes, it’s totally fine to use it on your ankle.

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 12:44:46 pm »
When flammable anesthetics were used, The connection to the body was through the shoes. Either special operating room shoes were used or there were booties with a strap that went into your shoe.
The floors were also special linoleum that was conductive,

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 12:52:39 pm »
For home use, being bare footed on top of any kind of grounded ESD mat is most comfortable and easy; you don't need to think about it at all. It's not that you suddenly develop a huge charge if you happen to rise both of your feet simultaneously for a minute.

In fact, being bare footed all the time tends to reduce ESD problems significantly even without any other measures.

ESD shoes are obviously available and not even that expensive, comparable to your average brand shoes, but why bother wearing shoes at home lab, but this might be a cultural thing, I don't know.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf