Author Topic: Is it possible to identify an SMD Capacitor or other component on a motherboard  (Read 5583 times)

Offline HelloBugTopic starter

I was trying to fix a laptop motherboard. I don't have the schematic for it.
I needed to replace some smd components that were corroded, like a capacitor.
They are the standard smd type components you would see with no markings, like the smd capacitors in the image linked to below.
http://www.capacitorlab.com/capacitor-types-ceramic-smt/ceramic.jpg

Is it possible to repair and replace smd components like those capacitors without a Schematic or donor board?
I would hate to throw away a potentially fixable laptop, but I just don't know what to replace any of the components with.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
You cannot identify SMD ceramic capacitors by their looks. If there are still some terminal plating left, you could measure capacitance. Voltage rating would be selected according to place it's used at or just go to max available voltage rating for the size. If cap is completely destroyed, you could try looking for similarly looking cap, preferably sitting on the same power rail and measure that.
But I don't think that is the main problem. If there is corrosion somewhere under BGA, you won't be able to fix that without special equipment.

Offline HelloBugTopic starter

So you think I should find a similar looking capacitor on the same power rail, remove it and then measure the capacitance?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
So you think I should find a similar looking capacitor on the same power rail, remove it and then measure the capacitance?
yes

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
You could also guess based on what it does. If it's decoupling on a power rail then 100n is a reasonable guess. If it's physically bulky then it may be as large as 10u.

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
You could look at the component the cap is near.  Then check the data sheet.  For example, if the cap is for a power regulator, the datasheet for the power regulator would be a good place to start.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf