Author Topic: Reverse a swtch.  (Read 1803 times)

Offline davelectronicTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Life's too short.
Reverse a swtch.
« on: January 17, 2017, 10:59:14 am »
So i bought a couple of thermal swiches (bi metalic) unfortunately tired i ordered NC instead of NO relised when they turned up. So not wanting to reorder again, i thought relay to reverse the thermal switch state over when activated to NO, closing on temperature rise. My question is, does anyone know of a better arrangement to this problem  ? Thanks for reading.

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Re: Reverse a swtch.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 12:28:59 pm »
If the switch was operating line operated loads, relay good idea.
If just a logic level signal you could use single gate logic to effect
the inversion.

http://www.ti.com/lit/sg/scyt129f/scyt129f.pdf

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline davelectronicTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Life's too short.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 07:31:58 pm »
Its only for 12 Volt loads at a few hundred mA, thanks, i will take a look at this idea.

Offline eblc1388

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:28:44 am »
Its only for 12 Volt loads at a few hundred mA, thanks, i will take a look at this idea.

On temperature rise, a NO thermal switch would operate and provide power to the load, if that's what you want.

In order to use a NC thermal switch to provide the same function, you can use either a relay or better still a PMOS to save on idle power lost.

Connects the S(source) pin of the PMOS to +12V, its D(drain) pin to the load. Connects the NC thermal switch between its G(gate) and S pin. Then connects the G via a 22K resistor to 0V. Because of the NC nature of the thermal switch, the PMOS is cut off so no power to the load. When temperaure rises, the thermal operates and becomes open circuited. PMOS is biased and power is then fed to the load. The idle power loss is the current through the 22K resistor only.

Offline alanb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:43:16 pm »
Is there a mechanical solution to this whereby you  disassemble the switch and re assemble with the bi-metallic strip the other way up?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf