Author Topic: Is switching a hifi receiver push button using an optoisolator OK?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline slekvakTopic starter

Is switching a hifi receiver push button using an optoisolator OK?
« on: September 26, 2016, 09:11:59 pm »
Hi!

My receiver has a speaker select (zones) toggle on the front of the chassis, with a simple push button behind it. As far as I can tell from the service manual, the button is switched to chassis ground and connected to a input on a microcontroller. I am planning on switching it with a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino.

Would it be safe to use a optoisolator for this, or do I need a relay? I have soldered two wires to the push button, shorting them seems to work fine, and was hoping I could use a "4N35 FSC Optocouplers Phototransistor 30V DIP6" I have available...

Snippets from service manual:

I hope someone is able to give me some advice (and/or comfort)  :)

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Is switching a hifi receiver push button using an optoisolator OK?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 09:20:16 pm »
Sure.  Richard Crowley turned me on to using optofets such as the H11F1M series because then you don't even need to know polarity.  But you have the parts and you have the schematic so that's no problem.

It's possible (but almost definitely not true) that they're putting some current through the switch which would mean you'd have to drive the LED pretty hard to "press the button".  You could simply measure the current going through the switch using a multimeter on a mA range.  The 4N35 has a guaranteed minimum current transfer ratio of 1, which means if you put 10mA through the LED it will allow 10mA through the phototransistor.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:30:02 pm by Paul Moir »

Offline george.b

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Is switching a hifi receiver push button using an optoisolator OK?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 06:17:58 am »
It should work. I mean, it's just a logic pin, I doubt it'll drain much current through the optocoupler.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf