Author Topic: Is t12 tips compatible with aoyue 2702 soldering iron?  (Read 919 times)

Offline saronnoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Is t12 tips compatible with aoyue 2702 soldering iron?
« on: December 02, 2023, 10:27:04 am »
I read contrasting opinions about that .... is anyone here able to confirm or dismiss the compatibility?

t12 compatible tips are very cheap on hte market ...

but photos shows some differences ...

aoyue tail and pinout

t12 original tips ...

It looks like t12 tips has one pin less. And what about the pinout? What about the resistance/watt? What about the thermal sensor?

TIA

• Regular Contributor
Re: Is t12 tips compatible with aoyue 2702 soldering iron?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 10:33:44 am »
here I found some check tips ..

Since they say a-c are the same, so c is not really needed, maybe there is a possibility t12 are compatible ...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 10:39:47 am »
Ok, I checked ... the pinout/resistance in the photo is correct

I also see one of my tip lacks C pin ...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 10:49:14 am »

This is a video where a t12 tip are demolished to see how it is made ...

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 12:42:29 pm »
They look similar to the QUICK TS1200A tips.
Heater resistance is similar, so you have nothing to lose by trying out.
The worst thing that could happen is a burned T12 tip if the TC curve is very different.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline u666sa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 08:53:21 pm »
I read contrasting opinions about that .... is anyone here able to confirm or dismiss the compatibility?

Compatible. Indeed, WQ is copy of T12. However, you will have to modify your solder iron a bit. I recommend you purchase separate solder iron and have two irons, one for stock WQ tips and one for T12 tips. Here are instruction on foreign language -- http://kodabra.ru/all/aoyue-2702-i-hakko-t12/
Basically google translate.

The real golden piece of information is contained within this commend.

Basically you would have to fiddle with contact, so that they are touching proper parts of T12 tips. It's no problem, remove them, and place them where they would touch -- there are several places where you can place them.

WARNING: order a new iron and modify it, leave your original iron alone. WQ tips are nicer, they are shorter and easier to use, and they are of better quality. But, for a price of 1 WQ tip you could buy 15 el cheapo T12 tips on aliexpress.

The following users thanked this post: audiotubes

Offline u666sa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 09:09:39 pm »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 09:31:14 pm »
Those are 8 ohms, your DMM or testing probes seem to be bad!
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline u666sa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 09:50:45 pm »
Those are 8 ohms, your DMM or testing probes seem to be bad!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 12:48:18 am »

Compatible. Indeed, WQ is copy of T12. However, you will have to modify your solder iron a bit. I recommend you purchase separate solder iron and have two irons, one for stock WQ tips and one for T12 tips. Here are instruction on foreign language -- http://kodabra.ru/all/aoyue-2702-i-hakko-t12/
Basically google translate.

The real golden piece of information is contained within this commend.

Basically you would have to fiddle with contact, so that they are touching proper parts of T12 tips. It's no problem, remove them, and place them where they would touch -- there are several places where you can place them.

WARNING: order a new iron and modify it, leave your original iron alone. WQ tips are nicer, they are shorter and easier to use, and they are of better quality. But, for a price of 1 WQ tip you could buy 15 el cheapo T12 tips on aliexpress.

Thanks. The cost is exactly the point here. I do not think aoyue tip deserve 12 euro each ....
I think also you are right about buying another iron .. I have anyway 4-5 tips from aoyue, they work fine, so I still want to use them and keep an iron the way it is now.

And, regarding the 2 pin / 3 pin discussion ... my 2702 works clearly also with tip with two contact. I have one aoyue tip with 2 contact only ..... so, it can manage both type of tips. But now I wonder how he keep temperature under control ...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 01:09:23 am by saronno »

Offline u666sa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2023, 08:20:49 am »
And, regarding the 2 pin / 3 pin discussion ... my 2702 works clearly also with tip with two contact. I have one aoyue tip with 2 contact only ..... so, it can manage both type of tips. But now I wonder how he keep temperature under control ...

That link I gave you, guy says T12 just works with his station no mods, and his station has 2 contact aoyue tips. So if 2 contact aoyue tip works with your iron, then chances are no mods will be required. As far as 3 contacts, I think they made it because of legal issues so that it wouldn't be that readily compatible with Hakko. Legal issues plus monetary issues, selling tips are money.

Now I did disassemble my iron. There are 5 wires, 1 and 2 are together, 3 and 4 are together, and 1 green one just connects to chassis inside station. So thermal resistor most likely is in series.

Here, I ordered tips real cheap, shipping is about 20 days. Try it, if need to mod iron, then get a new iron https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005005971901133.html
I also seen aoyue iron on aliexpress, about 20 bucks.

You could also get a T12 iron instead of aoyue iron. But then there would be issues with stand and I think aoyue has a quality iron.

On a side note, lately I've been seeing aoyue stations like mine and yours being for sale real cheap on free ads sites. You can buy a used station for about 50 bucks. Technology is getting old. Even smallest tip is not small enough. There are better stations today. Pretty much everyone upgraded their Hakkos, Louis Rossmann, iPad Rehab, STS Telecom, and other youtubers. T12 is rarely seen in repair videos these days.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 08:32:21 am by u666sa »

Offline Alessio

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 01:48:24 am »
Hi u666sa
I also have an AOYOUE station, and I'm following your experience very closely, have you received the T12 tips btw?
I have already tried modding my iron to accept them but to no avail alas.

Also, you said people are moving away from AYOUE and similar stations.. would you suggest any new model to look at?
Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf