Author Topic: Is the compensator output on DSO protected?  (Read 4863 times)

Offline truhlik_fredyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Is the compensator output on DSO protected?
« on: February 19, 2011, 01:36:29 pm »
At the moment I want for one-off usage (perhaps 20minutes) a simple function generator. And I have Rigol DS1052E, there is the compensator output for adjusting probes. It's 1Khz and its suits my needs very well. But I don't know how well its protected, like when I will draw to much current, or short it out. The device should not draw much current but just for the case. Its silly idea and I don't want to regret it.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Is the compensator output on DSO protected?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 02:05:21 pm »
well as mine mysteriously does not work anymore I would say no. My only explanation for mine is that I accidently shorted it. I suggest using a buffer just to be safe, Failing that throw a 555 timer circuit together or use an MCU

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 04:25:19 pm »
well as mine mysteriously does not work anymore I would say no. My only explanation for mine is that I accidently shorted it. I suggest using a buffer just to be safe, Failing that throw a 555 timer circuit together or use an MCU

I will make MCU one, just I had this lazy evil thought to make shortcut and use the compensator for it. Thanks to turning me back :D (i was close :) )

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 04:28:16 pm »
yea you best use and MCU, it is as easy as flashing a led, no point in risking blowing your scopes calibrator, I've done that somehow

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 04:44:59 pm »
But if 1 kHz is all you need, just isolate the Rigol's calibration output with a voltage follower op amp to provide driving output to your load.  For this app you can use any op amp you have that is anywhere like a 741.

But if you do have an op amp handy, just make an oscillator with it, and save your worry:

If you don't have an op amp, you aren't picky about the output waveform, you can make an oscillator with any one of at least a transistor, op amp, or logic gates, and then at least a capacitor and some resistors.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/square.html
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 04:08:44 am »
But if 1 kHz is all you need, just isolate the Rigol's calibration output with a voltage follower op amp to provide driving output to your load.  For this app you can use any op amp you have that is anywhere like a 741.

But if you do have an op amp handy, just make an oscillator with it, and save your worry:

If you don't have an op amp, you aren't picky about the output waveform, you can make an oscillator with any one of at least a transistor, op amp, or logic gates, and then at least a capacitor and some resistors.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/square.html

Thanks, I was thinking about something like that but I was afraid that I can touch the ground near by the compensator output and I will short it before it goes to voltage follower. But thanks anyway.

Offline tecman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 03:26:56 pm »
Op amp circuits are nice, but you ideally should have as fast a rise time as practical.  Make a simple oscillator with a 74HC04, buffer it with a couple of more inverters in the HC04 and you will have a nice fast rise source.

paul

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf