Author Topic: Is the Extech 355 a good multimeter ?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline l3gi0nTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Is the Extech 355 a good multimeter ?
« on: November 27, 2021, 01:17:13 pm »
I already have a cheap multimeter that I bought for 20 dollars. I am looking to buy a very accurate one....

I am looking at Extech 355: http://www.extech.com/products/EX355

Is this Extech as good as other reputable brands like Fluke, Amprobe, Brymens and etc ?

How does it compare with my cheap multimeter ? See the attached picture for the cheapo's specs.

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Is the Extech 355 a good multimeter ?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 07:22:38 pm »
Good Morning l3gi0n,
     Your budget is an important factor in deciding a DMM.
If you can afford $220 then the Brymen 869s will serve you well.
Others will disagree, but that is my opinion.
      DMM recommendations are probably the most common topic on the forum along with oscilloscopes,  so pooch around in the search function and you will find more recommendations than
you can shake a stick at.
     Good luck with your choice, (by the way, what is the brand and model of the 'cheapy' that you have now?) :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: l3gi0n

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 04:14:20 am »
Extech as a company is fine. It is US-based, has been around a long time and I would generally trust its CAT ratings and that its "CE" mark means "Conformite Europeenne" and not "China Export". Some of its meters are UL listed.

I've had an Extech 330 for over 10 years and it works well but otherwise is not very remarkable. You can get more for your money now from Uni-T and Aneng.

Note that Extech is now selling some rebranded Bryman meters -- e.g. the MM series. Lots of multimeter offerings are actually rebrandings:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rebranding-of-multimeters/

I am looking to buy a very accurate one....

By "accurate" do you mean more counts? I think a 6000-count meter is perfectly adequate for most people -- hobbyists and professionals. It mainly depends on what you need to do with the meter.

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 02:09:59 pm »
By specs alone your el cheapo meter doesn't look bad.

Offline l3gi0nTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 02:42:59 pm »
Good luck with your choice, (by the way, what is the brand and model of the 'cheapy' that you have now?) :popcorn:

it is a rebadged HP-39C. the Extech is $140 CDN...is there something better in this price range ?

By "accurate" do you mean more counts? I think a 6000-count meter is perfectly adequate for most people -- hobbyists and professionals. It mainly depends on what you need to do with the meter.

The cheap one that I have is 6000 count. I want to use the meter to repair electronics and do DIY kits.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 02:53:06 pm »
it is a rebadged HP-39C. the Extech is $140 CDN...is there something better in this price range ?

A lot of people like the Uni-T 61E which you can get from aliexpress/ebay for around $60 USD.

Or get the Tenma rebranded version for $55 USD at Newark:

https://www.newark.com/tenma/72-10415/dmm-hh-10a-1kv-22000count/dp/94AC6580?ost=72-10415

The cheap one that I have is 6000 count. I want to use the meter to repair electronics and do DIY kits.

6K counts is perfectly fine. Others to consider: Aneng 870, Aneng 8008. Search the forum for reviews and comments on these meters.

Offline rpiloverbd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 10:34:24 am »
Sorry, I never used this meter. Personally I like Sanwa CD800A digital multimeter.

Offline Bobson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 10:12:26 pm »
Extech 355 seems to be rebranded CEM DT-9917. CDN$140 is overkill for this basic meter.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 03:09:22 am »
Indeed the meter is very expensive for the specifications. You would be better served by the aforementioned AN870, the bit more upscale UT61E from Newark and, if you are concerned with safety, Dave's Brymen BM235 or the more featured BM257 from TME (I think US$115 + shipping).

Years ago, Extech had a good lineup but was suffering with terrible quality control - you can find threads here from 2013 through 2016 with reports from users opening their brand new meters and finding horrible assembly problems.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 01:23:18 pm »
I used a number of Extech products. I don't have complaint but I don't feel they are good products. I didn't buy those that I used. If I were to buy Extech products it would be for the reason it's cheaper than others otherwise I wouldn't. I don't think I like a company like Extech which since founded never made any of their products themselves.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf