Author Topic: How to create an electronic 3P3T switch?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline mdijkensTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
How to create an electronic 3P3T switch?
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:36:26 pm »
Hi

I want to replace a 3 pole 3 throw latching on-off-on switch (see attached) with electronics to switch it with a mcu
all 3 poles are only used for small ttl signals, but I don't want to use mechanical relays
it would be nicest if it is a scalable design that could also be used if I want to switch 5 or 10 signals

I have been googling for sometime now, but can't really find a nice (hopefully) not to complex solution
What would be a good way to implement this? are there ic's that do stuff like this? Any schematics that could point me in the right direction?
I assume this requirement pops up regularly in designs where you electronically need to switch multi-line inputs/outputs?

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: How to create an electronic 3P3T switch?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 11:11:01 pm »
Google: Crosspoint switch IC
Its up to you to code the MCU controlling it to make the correct connections between inputs and outputs.

You could also do it with some CD4051 or CD4052 analog switches, (or their 74HC equivalents), with their control inputs in parallel.   4051 is 1P8W and 4052 is 2P4W.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd4051b.pdf

N.B. for 'latching' you'd have to maintain control circuit state. i.e. if its to power back up in the same state your MCU need some non-volatile or battery backed memory
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:13:20 pm by Ian.M »

Offline mdijkensTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:50:25 pm »
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
I looked at the datasheet and the CD4053 seems to be exactly what I'm looking for

See attached picture:
Could it work like this?
Assuming MCU and both UARTs all use 3V3 or 5V and the UARTs do not consume more than 30-40mA ?

Could I just duplicate this for 6, 9, ... poles?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:53:44 pm by mdijkens »

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 12:31:04 am »
Nope.  The 4053 is no good for directly switching power.

Personally I'd use a 4052 for the signal lines and P-MOSFETs (with gate-source pullup resistors so they are normally off) as high side switches to control power to the two UARTs.   IF you use a 74HCT4052, its inputs are 3.3V compatible when its running with 5V Vcc, so no level conversion required.

If you can rearrange the circuit to have one active high MCU output to enable each UART, rather than having IO2 as a master enable and IO1 selecting the UART it would make it much easier as then you could use AO6602 complimentary MOSFETs,  with its N-MOS device as a level shifter driving the gate of its P-MOS device so the MCU can control a supply voltage greater than its logic '1' level.    Alternatively, if there is a higher unregulated rail available, simply use a separate regulator with an enable pin for each UART.

Alternatively, keep the 4053, (use the 74HCT version to avoid the need to use level shifters), and use its third channel to switch ground to the gate of one of the high side P-MOSFETs at a time to switch on that UART.   To extend it up to 16 ways, use three 74HCT4067 chips, for the RX, TX and Vcc gate control, and 16 P-MOSFETs and gate pullup resistors.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:43:39 am by Ian.M »

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 02:12:26 pm »
Ive used 405X's (TI CD74HCT4052's most recently) in a couple of projects. Just dont forget to connect the VEE pin and they are very useful for switching signals around between devices.  :palm:

In one project I used them to select the UART of N devices, and in another I switch CLK and MISO for SPI like devices (actually shift registers - MOSI is connected to all devices permanently, as without a CLK input the change in levels on the input pin is ignored).

Also remember to pull up or down the signals connected to which ever side becomes the "output" of the 405X as I dont believe they are complementary outputs, and consequently any inputs on that signal would float otherwise.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf