Author Topic: Is this 220v capable board? (Dewalt DCB095)  (Read 1549 times)

Offline haizaarTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Is this 220v capable board? (Dewalt DCB095)
« on: December 04, 2022, 05:56:47 am »
Hi all,

I've got myself the US version of one of those DeWalt 8V screwdrivers. The charger says it's 110v but seemingly the same kit is sold on Amazon AU, and AU reviewers say it's 220v capable (just need a plug adapter). Also on some other non-English forum people reported that post 2020 chargers are actually 220v ready but didn't go into details.

Is one capable to tell whether mine is 220v capable? The pictures are here: https://imgur.com/a/uwus7gM.

Thanks a bunch!

Offline bidrohini

• Regular Contributor
Re: Is this 220v capable board? (Dewalt DCB095)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 07:26:14 am »
In the 2nd picture of the board, it is written '250V'. Looks like it can be powered up with 220V directly.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 07:42:10 am »
The one component to check to make sure is the big black capacitor in the primary part of the power supply. If it is rated for 400V or more then yes it should might be capable of handling 220V.

Edit: in light of the rightful remarks of wasedadoc and Ian.M, I changed it to might be capable.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 03:08:46 pm by pcprogrammer »

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 11:16:38 am »
The one component to check to make sure is the big black capacitor in the primary part of the power supply. If it is rated for 400V then yes it should be capable of handling 220V.
That is not a guarantee. What is true is that if that capacitor is rated less than 400 volts then the board should not be used on 220 volt. The converse does not necessarily hold.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 12:26:23 pm »
You'd also need to check the specs on the switching transistor Q1 and look at the track layout to see if there are adequate creepage and clearance distances for 230V mains supply.  Even so, at best it would be indicative of a 230V rated design, and would *NOT* guarantee it wouldn't go bang! or rapidly degrade  if fed with 240V AC.

*MOST* manufacturers with wide voltage range capable PSUs are happy to claim that on the exterior ratings label.   If it doesn't say something like 100V - 250V AC on the label, odds are it isn't capable of operating at a significantly different supply voltage without possibly extensive modifications.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 12:30:08 pm by Ian.M »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 02:21:19 am »
Thank you all for your prompt replies! The main capacitor is glued the to board and unluckily the voltage/capacity ratings are on the glued-in side.
Is this some kind of thermal glue? At what temperatures does it usually yield? (I've got temperature controlled heat gut)

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 06:16:20 am »
Don't think it is thermal glue. It also looks like the rectifier diodes are underneath this capacitor. At least the fuse is also rated for 250V. But like Ian.M wrote, there are many aspects that are in play.

Post some pictures of the underneath, so we can look at the traces.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 06:14:56 am »
Uploaded more pictures of the backside of the board as requested to the same album: https://imgur.com/a/uwus7gM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2022, 09:40:55 am »
To wrap this up - after bracing myself and having finger on the kill switch, I plugged the charger into the mains. It worked fine and managed to charge the battery. YMMV but so far it works for me.

Thanks everyone for your valuable relies.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 10:55:52 am by haizaar »

Offline litle

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 10:07:01 am »
Found this thread via google, just registered to reply:

The questionable Capacitor is in fact rated for 400V.

Hope this was not ooo much necroing as it was the only information I could find in the whole Internet regarding this toppic...
Bye and you´l most likely never see me again ;)

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 11:00:16 am »
Thanks for chiming in.

To update everyone: the charger is still working just fine. However I use it about twice a year, just to put the "engine hours" in perspective.

This tool is amazing for assembling IKEA furniture - just enough torque to drive their screws into pre-drilled chipboard holes but nearly not enough to blow them out.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 12:11:31 pm »
Another thing to look at are high value resistors (hundreds kΩ) used for startup supply to the PWM controller. Their power dissipation quadruples with doubling of input voltage and in dodgy designs they may run quite hot already. In unlucky cases they could appear to be OK initially, but go bad after a few minutes of warmup or aften some accumulated hours of operation.

The following users thanked this post: haizaar

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf