Author Topic: Isolated DC/DC converter help  (Read 560 times)

Offline Sultanpepper123Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Isolated DC/DC converter help
« on: April 22, 2020, 11:22:10 am »
Hello, I would really appreciate if someone would share his insights on whether an isolated DC/DC converter of a fixed output (12V) can sustain that output even when input is lower than 12V, the datasheet says the input range 9-36 VDC which may be the answer but i would really like to get a confirmation if possible.

Also a side question, this datasheet does not indicate any input or output filters or recommended capacitors for optimal operation except a 10F MLCC at the output , any recommendations on this ? my thought was to throw a few bulk capacitors at the input/output and call it a day.

DC/DC Converter

Datasheet

Offline Vovk_Z

• Super Contributor
Re: Isolated DC/DC converter help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 11:57:58 am »
There can be two types of isolated DC-DC. First is unegulated so output will depend on input (strictly or slightly). Those type devices are short input range rated, for example 12VDC/12VDC rated.
But if they are rated 9-36 VDC(wide input range) to 12V - they must be regulated.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:01:03 pm by Vovk_Z »

The following users thanked this post: Sultanpepper123

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 12:07:30 pm »
It is regulated. On page 4 it states 0.5% line regulation.

You can and should put bulk caps on input. It's not needed if the input cable is short or it has local regulation, but if you distribute voltage across a long distance, it is a virtue to decouple it locally, even if the module is regulated on its own.

Thank you for sharing your time and insight, will throw a few caps on the input and output. Regarding the input requirements, do you think i might experience any problems if the input voltage gets less than 12V(input) ? .

There can be two types of isolated DC-DC. First is unegulated so output will depend on input (strictly or slightly). Those type devices are short input range rated, for example 12VDC/12VDC rated.
But if they are rated 9-36 VDC(wide input range) to 12V - they must be regulated.
Thank you sir for sharing your time and insight,  do you think i might experience any problems if the input voltage gets less than 12V(input) ? .

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 12:16:03 pm »
Thank you for sharing your time and insight, will throw a few caps on the input and output. Regarding the input requirements, do you think i might experience any problems if the input voltage gets less than 12V(input) ? .

No. It promised 9V min, and it should deliver that promise. People pay Recom for its reputation, and they are not going to throw it away for no reason.

:-+ Thank you sir , really appreciate it

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf