Author Topic: Kapton tape vs aluminum tape?  (Read 15049 times)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Kapton tape vs aluminum tape?
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 08:43:27 pm »
Very interesting thread, thanks everyone! Regarding shields (specifically for EMI), I have a few sheets of Mu-metal hanging around.. Is it necessary or more effective to electrically ground them?
Yes, you want to ground EMI shielding.

Otherwise, stray voltages will be created and the shielding act as a capacitor (which will be seen on the signal).

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 09:49:49 pm »
Very interesting thread, thanks everyone! Regarding shields (specifically for EMI), I have a few sheets of Mu-metal hanging around.. Is it necessary or more effective to electrically ground them?

Mu-metal is really for low-frequency magnetic shielding, not traditional RFI/EMI.  For anything above a few hundred kHz, it's unnecessarily expensive.  What source(s) of EMI are you trying to shield? 

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 10:06:03 pm »

Mu-metal is really for low-frequency magnetic shielding, not traditional RFI/EMI.  For anything above a few hundred kHz, it's unnecessarily expensive.  What source(s) of EMI are you trying to shield?
Nothing at present, but a future possibility may exist to integrate a ~40khz SMPS and analogue on the same PCB.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf