Author Topic: kicad pcb new netlist read error  (Read 951 times)

Offline rtalianoTopic starter

kicad pcb new netlist read error
« on: September 03, 2018, 01:48:04 pm »
I am re-entering the hobby electronics field after quite a few years......meaning I have never used pcb design software. I have been learning KiCad and, while I think I have the fundamentals under control, it appears like many new users that I am in library hell. I chose a very basic project to learn on but unfortunately it is a project for which footprint info was not available through github for most components. I succeeded in importing footprints through Digikey and creating two on my own. I saved them all to a project-specific .pretty folder and added that location to the library list. I thought I had successfully completed the foot print associations with CvPcb....I manually matched up the symbols and footprints and exported/saved the netlist...and verfied that the netlist is in the project folder and opened it with textedit to see if things seemed to be in order. BUT, when I open pcbnew and attempt to read the netlist I get an error messages like the ones below for every component.

Error: Component “R2” footprint “PR02000206802JA100” was not found in any libraries in the footprint library table.
Error: Cannot add new symbol “R10:/5B8BE1AC” due to missing footprint “Cap_Disch:CF12JT300R”.

So I am guessing I somehow have things organized wrong. One thing that confuses me is the footprint libary table. I am not sure what its signficance is if each component has its own footprint (.mod) file. When I view it with text editor it just gives a path ((fp_lib_table
  (lib (name Cap_Disch)(type KiCad)(uri ${CAPACITORDISCHARGEFINAL}/Cap_Disch.pretty)(options "")(descr ""))
)
This table file appears to point to the .pretty folder as I would expect so I would guess that the location of this table file immediately outside of the .pretty folder doesn't matter?

Any help would be appreciated. An hour of googling has not yielded anything useful.

Application: kicad
Version: (5.0.0-3-g5ebb6b6), release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.54.0 LibreSSL/2.0.20 zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.24.0
Platform: Mac OS X (Darwin 17.7.0 x86_64), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (UTF-8,STL containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.67.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.51.0
    Compiler: Clang 8.0.0 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=ON
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=OFF
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON