Author Topic: FM Demodulators  (Read 1906 times)

Offline helix1Topic starter

• Contributor
FM Demodulators
« on: December 11, 2015, 01:52:23 pm »
I am in the planning stages of a new project - building a basic compact FM receiver circuit. My requirements for the project are that it should receive a single frequency up to around 100MHz, the receiver should be battery powered and as small as possible without going to SMD components, and kept at a reasonable cost.

I have been considering either a PLL approach or a quadrature demodulator approach so was wondering which might be better for my particular project.

Any input would be really helpful, suggestions for good existing designs, PLL chips or mixers for the quadrature demodulator etc.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Re: FM Demodulators
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 02:12:53 pm »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 02:26:24 pm »
Thanks Cliff, I've done some basic Google searches, and am now at the stage where I need a bit of guidance from an experienced hand to help zoom in on one of the better designs.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 02:31:32 pm »
Discretes only?  If so, the most bang for your buck would probably be a Foster Seeley Discriminator

However if you are willing to use ICs, and can source a N.O.S. Philips TDA7000, its more or less a complete FM radio on a chip, just add an AF amplifier, a tuned circuit for the L.O. and a few passives.  Edit: you are lucky, Futurelec still have stock: http://www.futurlec.com/Philips/TDA7000pr.shtml
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:36:18 pm by Ian.M »

Offline moya034

• Regular Contributor
  • Former Welder, IT guy, and Ham Radio Junkie
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 03:46:47 pm »
However if you are willing to use ICs, and can source a N.O.S. Philips TDA7000, its more or less a complete FM radio on a chip, just add an AF amplifier, a tuned circuit for the L.O. and a few passives.  Edit: you are lucky, Futurelec still have stock: http://www.futurlec.com/Philips/TDA7000pr.shtml
I agree.

There are tons of good FM IC's out there which will outperform any thing you are likely to make with discretes most likely, no need to reinvent the wheel.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 04:10:13 pm »
Thanks for the tip - that IC looks perfect for the job. I will give it a go!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf