Author Topic: MOSFET with Drain, Gate, Source pinout?  (Read 10717 times)

Offline JaseGTopic starter

• Contributor
MOSFET with Drain, Gate, Source pinout?
« on: December 10, 2015, 09:34:31 pm »
Hi,

I've designed and printed a circuit board which uses a few mosfets but I messed up the footprint on them.  Instead of Gate Drain Source (from left to right),  it is Drain, Gate, Source.   :palm: :palm: :palm: |O |O |O

Does anyone know of a N-Channel MOSFET that has the pinout to suit?   D, G, S.   The gate needs to have a low enough Vgs to work with logic level input and needs to be able to pass at least 5v @ 1.5amps from Drain to Source.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Jase

p.s.  Here's the board - it looks sexy so I thought i'd share.  Too bad it doesn't work. :'(

http://jasongilholme.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/wpid-wp-1449695505474.jpg

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
Re: MOSFET with Drain, Gate, Source pinout?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:54:02 pm »
Won't happen with normal vertical power FETs. Lateral ones might have a different pin out, but they're rare today.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 10:00:34 pm »
In other words, the reason why MOSFETs have this type of pin out is the way they're physically constructed so, unless you use a different type of MOSFET, you won't get a different pin out.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 10:05:19 pm »
doh!  That's understandable.   :-+ :-+

I have some other non-critical design issues with the board anyway so it was going to have a rev B at some point.

Danke für dein hilfe!

Offline Halfdead

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 10:07:27 pm »
I'd just trim the leads and solder some solid wires on.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 10:08:21 pm »
Plenty of space, good size pads, so why not cut and patch it?

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 10:15:58 pm »
Plenty of space, good size pads, so why not cut and patch it?

It's definitely re-workable.  Ultimately I'd like a non hacked final version but I'll hack this one to ensure that the rest of the circuit works.  It's quite simple (yet i still managed to screw it up! haha)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 02:06:38 am »
Twist the leads around (use some spaghetti tube if you can't finagle the bends by pliers alone).

Here's a hack I did in an SMPS. Boned the TL431 pinout somehow.  TO-92's have plenty of lead length though.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 02:17:37 am »
Why mangle the MOSFETs?  If you are a parsimonious git of expatriate  Scots ancestry like myself, you will patch the board with the expectation that if all goes well you will be able to transplant the MOSFETs cmpete with heatsinks to the final board.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 02:44:59 am »
Why mangle the MOSFETs?  If you are a parsimonious git of expatriate  Scots ancestry like myself, you will patch the board with the expectation that if all goes well you will be able to transplant the MOSFETs cmpete with heatsinks to the final board.

Yeah, I agree completely.  My preference is to maintain the mosfet & heatsink condition and hack the board.  it's already busted anyway and theres no need to break a perfectly good fet.  It did nothing wrong.

I'm a noob and never done it before but I'd imagine it's just a matter of cutting the traces that are no good and replacing them with some jumper wires.  Is that right?  Preferably on the back side of the board to hide the hackery as much as possible.  What people don't know won't hurt them. :p

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 03:17:05 am »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 04:14:45 am »
2n7000 in TO-92 is DGS.   

https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/2N/2N7000.pdf

;)

oooo  thanks!!

I don't think i'd use this in the final design because i'd be pushing it's upper limits for current through put.  I would also have to figure out a way of heatsinking that thing.  It's 300+ degrees per watt as well!  ouch.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 04:16:06 am »
Or mount them on the other side of the board, that is if you can mount the heatsinks under as well.

Edit, of course you probably have to flip the board to install it where it was intended (hopefully there is clearance for the other components once the board is flipped.

Edit2: nevermind,  Drain, Gate, Source I though you just flipped the footprint, my bad.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:20:40 am by miguelvp »

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 05:43:41 am »
Therefore, it is either GDS or SDG. The industry prefers GDS/BCE configuration, for whatever reason over SDG/ECB configuration.

Unless you're using RF MOSFETs such as the RD range where the sequence is GSD so that the tab is at ground potential.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 08:47:57 am »
2n7000 in TO-92 is DGS.   

;)

oooo  thanks!!

I don't think i'd use this in the final design because i'd be pushing it's upper limits for current through put.  I would also have to figure out a way of heatsinking that thing.  It's 300+ degrees per watt as well!  ouch.
Yes, the old 2N7000 is really no good for power. It has an on resistance of 5 Ohm when the gate voltage is 10V, a maximum continuous current of 200mA. When the gate voltage is just 4.5V, the resistance increases to 6 Ohm and the drain current is only specified to 75mA.

The 2N7000 is only good for small signal amplifiers and as an analogue switch.

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 09:05:14 am »
Therefore, it is either GDS or SDG. The industry prefers GDS/BCE configuration, for whatever reason over SDG/ECB configuration.

Unless you're using RF MOSFETs such as the RD range where the sequence is GSD so that the tab is at ground potential.

RF MOSFETs are probably lateral FETs with a single or very few parallel cells...

--

ECB <-> BCE is arbitrary. BD139/140 are ECB for example.

I don't use TO-3, how is the "pin out" situation there? The pins are probably arbitrary, too... ?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:06:59 am by dom0 »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 10:32:19 am »
I don't use TO-3, how is the "pin out" situation there? The pins are probably arbitrary, too... ?
The substrate is always the case, so it could never be a base or gate.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 07:42:13 pm »
Some parts, mostly RF, are arranged 'backwards', with E/S on the case and B/G and C/D on leads.  I understand some of these are actually done with the substrate being E/S, though I'm not real clear on how.

All power packages, that I'm aware of, have the center pin not only connected to the tab/case, but made as a part of it (from the same stamping or whatever).  This is awkward for some components (e.g., TO-263-5 case gate drivers; the IXDD614CI for example has the 'selling point' of being grounded case, unlike others, IIRC).

"EBC" TO-92s I guess were common enough that they went to the trouble to make a suitable leadframe: if you've ever cracked one open, you should see a coined blob on the side (collector) terminal -- just like a power device, except the back plate is fully encapsulated.  (There's also a TO-92 variant with the tab brought out, TO-237.  See also the TO-202, which is like a TO-220 with a similarly flimsy tab.)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf