Author Topic: lab equipment  (Read 22318 times)

Offline eevblogfanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
lab equipment
« on: April 23, 2012, 07:00:06 pm »
hey  all

I am working on new budget, I assume it will be 950$ or so ,

what lab equipment should I buy ?

I thought to buy 50MHz rigol DS1052E

and some used synthesizer and counter ,

but really , what is the most needed gear  ?

is it oscilloscope ?

counter/timer ?

function gen ?

decent modular power supply (I am working on it therefore I am not rushing to buy one .. )

some accessories ? (banana plugs, (capacitor/resistor/inductor )kit , screwdriver set , tweezers set ,hakko soldering station ? ) ??

I have soldering iron , few basic tools , 4X12Ah 12V lead acid batteries , and some confused mind (I am learning in school at the same time I am learning electronics , so please understand my busy brain ><"

I basically have 3 great meters so no need on that regard ... 

thank you  in advance ! :)

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
Re: lab equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:50:07 pm »
Hmmm, this question is asked lot lately while there is a nice video about it, so did you check Dave’s video?
Or even the topic about it with a lot suggestions?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog-specific/eevblog-168-how-to-set-up-an-electronics-lab/msg43428/

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:46:49 pm »
Definitely check out Dave's video.  A lot of it will depend on what you intend to do.  For most homebrew electronics work, I find that the most essential items are: a DMM or two, one or more adjustable power supplies, signal/function generator, and a scope.  Lots of test leads, clips, adapters, probes.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline nick.sek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:35:25 am »
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8C21D493B9956538&feature=mh_lolz

Its not as awesome as Dave's but this is my attempt at trying to show people how to develop their own lab. Maybe my inexperience in comparison to Dave's might make it more relate-able. But check out. I go over some of the really important tools and include links in the description for cheapest prices.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 06:17:05 pm »
hey

thank you for the replays

I know Dave's videos (I watch them  all  ::) )

what I asked is " what equipment would you buy within 950$ budget "

and I am having a bad time determining what gear should I buy , either oscilloscope , HP-E3615A or any other "hi end" stuff ,  :P

I have already "goot" gun shaped soldering iron (with boost from 20W to 200W )
and I don't really need soldering station ( for now on anyhow )

as I said , I have 3 good multimeters and other basic equipment .  ;D

I recently ordered Ucurrent adapter (I might find it helpful ) but I really buy it for more advance stuff in the future ,  (I had to buy it now because Dave said he will not produce more )  :-\

thank you in advance !   ;)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 07:01:05 pm »
Eh ... you really need a soldering station , the need is undebated , if you want to do anything anywhere serious anyway .
Not just that Goot TQ-77 that i have also , i don't see how anyone can do electronics with it , it's just huge , unwieldy and just hard to stabilize .

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 07:22:53 pm »
You need to explain the type of projects you intend to work on. With a limited budget you need to be realistic and targeted.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 07:54:42 pm »
hey

thank you !

basically I am setting my lab now , so I will not "save" any money for projects ,

I would be an EE in the future , hence I'd like to experience with anything I'll be able to , I assume I'll ask here for decent projects etc .

as for beginning project , I'd like to build my own power supply (0-15V@0-5A )  I know it's hard thing to do , but I don't tend to give up (it's maybe not that realistic as I recall , but for my eyes in my age , I'll do it ! :P )

as for my soldering iron , nope , I have done few smd soldering (just for practice and also some fun :)   ) piece of cake ! ,

I think that oscilloscope is super essential , assuming I both one. (400$ ) , I'll have 550$ spare , should I look for function gen ? , counter/timer ? ,or other gear ?

thank you in advance !

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 08:18:59 pm »
You gotta have minimum test gear

Scope (digital if you can afford it) (500 bucks)
Multimeter (100 bucks)
Variable power supply (linear not switching) (100 buck chinese one to start)
Signal generator (should go up to 5 mhz) (100 bucks chinese)

You need to build things so

Soldering station
Buy the best solder and solder wick (Kester solder or Multicore brand is a must)
Solderless breadboards and jumper wires
Buy a kit or two (a power supply is a good choice) Kits are a great place to start.

Dumpster dive.

If an item is working great, a radio is great fun if you have a scope. If an item is damaged strip it or try and fix it. Remember when you start out rely on your nose and eyes. If a part is burnt its dead. Now try and identify it and just replace it. Sure it may burn up again but you will have improved your soldering skills. If it lives then sell it or donate to charity. Stay away from high voltages, no playing with microwaves or old TV's

Buy a hot air station. This is great for removing parts.

Parts, buy from places like digikey, make sure you spend 50 bucks (100 is better). Buy resistor assortments, cap assortments and lots of small baggies to put them in. Make sure they are labeled. Even today if I need just a single 5 buck item from digikey I always make the order run the order up to 50. In no time you will have a great selection of stuff. Ebay is good for jumpers, smd assortments and cheap test gear, for IC's and such it is normally better to buy from a place like digikey, farnell and such .

Don't mix salvaged parts with new ones.

You need a place to set up and a computer nearby to help.

It's a great hobby, or profession. I myself started with complete crap, but you learn more that way and that is what this is all about. Yes it's true that you need special equipment for special jobs but you will need the basic test gear regardless. Then when you need to do something specific you will either make or buy the test equipment for that particular project.

Have fun

...mike

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:27 pm »
Frequency counter, a cheap bench model 100 bucks, add a rubidium standard for accuracy. A digital scope will give you frequency but it won't be very accurate on a low end scope.

Search ebay for "frequency counter VC3165"

I have one I picked up a couple years ago, it was ok but not great, I have a rubidium standard on it now and it's excellent with that.

I do actually use it when doing rf stuff.

...mike

Offline Chet T16

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:04:13 pm »

I have a rubidium standard on it now and it's excellent with that.

Easily done?
Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

alm

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 09:17:40 pm »
Adding an external frequency standard is usually fairly easy if the counter has an external reference input. Especially if the frequency of the standard (often 10 MHz) and the frequency the counter expects match.

I wouldn't place a frequency counter, let alone an accurate reference, high on the list however. It depends on your type of projects, but a fairly small number of applications require accuracy and precision beyond the capabilities of the hardware counters built into scopes. Timing tolerances for RS-232 are something like 1%, for example.

Offline Chet T16

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »
Adding an external frequency standard is usually fairly easy if the counter has an external reference input. Especially if the frequency of the standard (often 10 MHz) and the frequency the counter expects match.

The one suggested doesn't (or so it seems), thats why i was asking
Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 10:53:18 pm »
I wouldn't place a frequency counter, let alone an accurate reference, high on the list however.

Correct, most people will not need one, especially starting out.

pickle9000 has the best list, just the basic test and soldering gear, and spend the rest on parts, kits, hand tools, jumper leads, breadboard, veroboard etc.

Dave.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 05:30:23 am »
I agree, a counter is slightly specialized and not really needed. Having said that if you got a hundred bucks to blow and you are interested in RF and stuff of that nature money well spent. Don't buy a portable one they are close to useless.

Having 2 power supplies is a better choice. If you had another 500 bucks get another power supply, spare multimeter. and more of whatever strikes your fancy (frequency counter included). I wonder if Dave has ever counted the number of meters he has?

Then try something fun like the duinomite mini from olimex. Cheap, has BASIC on board and it's PIC based. I've used a couple of them to make simulators (test jigs) and they work great (fastest sims ever actually). You probably won't even need to solder.

Have fun.

...mike

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 07:39:23 am »
Don't forget cables, they are not free and very important too. :D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 09:07:41 am »
hey !

assuming I'll buy this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rigol-Oscilloscope-50MHz-DS1052E-1G-SG-1M-USA-warranty-/290423301829?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item439e93e6c5#ht_7138wt_1046

I will remain 550$ spare , 

should I buy this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-Precision-4017A-10-MHz-Sweep-Function-Generator-/350559771841?pt=BI_Signal_Sources&hash=item519efd9cc1#ht_868wt_1029

and this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-E3610A-Power-Supply-Dual-Range-/270768755476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0b135314#ht_857wt_1029

and basically I'll remain with 50$ .... (assuming I'll buy the E3610A for 200$ )

oh and you might wonder where 64$ are gone ? , umm for the rigol I'll have to pay 16% tax (or even more sometimes ... )

and here is the list that "will be " :

(1) soldering iron  (some lame goot brand )

(2) agilent E3610A

(3) BK Precision 4017A 10 MHz sweep/function gen

(4) rigol-DS1052E

(5) fluke 87V

(6) fluke 287

(7) HP-3478A

and a nice 1.6M long , 90CM deep 95CM height bench (with two shelves )  one will be 17CM height from the desk and there will be 40CM distance between the shelves

is this is good set up for the budget ?

should I replace one of the purchases ?

thank you in advance !

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 10:03:38 am »
Replace the power supply with a soldering station and get a cheapie one from china , then buy the HP only later on .
Really , you can't go anywhere without a soldering station except breadboarding .

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 11:53:26 am »
hey

thank's

I already have soldering iron , and I can do with it the basic stuff (200W for high gage wier's and 20W for 30AWG )as for PCB , I press 3 sec on the boost and the soldering iron is hot enough besides , I can connect dimmer in series with it and via K type thermo couple , I can "adjust" the very coarse temp I'd like to have (in essence. all I need is 0-60W or so , temp is not really the way of monitoring it , for bigger thermal load , you need higher power , and the 400C mark on the soldering station , basically mean, that the soldering station will allow the needed ammount of power (till 60W) in order to achieve the 400C that you set for , and it won't exceed it ,

so when I'll have to consider the temp (for tiny chips) I'll consider buying some hakko FX-888 or so , for now on , I am pretty much fine :P

as for the Hp power supply , I know it's not cheap , but it's reliable and good value for the money ,

oh , and you must know , I can work one month in year ( on summer ) hence the "lame" 740$ budget (I had 210$ savings) , next year it will be something like 871$ (and maybe some 300$ addition for temporary work or so .)

thank you in advance  !

Offline icon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 01:49:14 pm »
Frequency counter, a cheap bench model 100 bucks, add a rubidium standard for accuracy. A digital scope will give you frequency but it won't be very accurate on a low end scope.

Worth pointing out that the Rigol DS1052 has a hardware frequency counter built in (which you need to enable). It gives me 56ppm on an 8.000MHz crystal. Of course it be that the crystal and counter are both wrong...

John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 03:14:18 pm »
thank you john .

you saved me some real money :P , I appreciate that a lot !

and as for project I'd like to build , I'd like to have some dummy load ( 0-2A will do ) I guess that CPU heat sink will do [2 ranges ; (1). 0-2A@up to 25V or even lower , (2). 0-1A@up to about 50V ] so total of about 50W , I think 2 mosfets will do (decreasing thermal resistance in order to decrease temp over ambient )

but also 0-20A on another 300W heat sink ,

what tools should I have for that project ?  ???

is it :

scope ( I don't have ... )  some (3) multimeters (which I have )  some power source ( preferd current limited power supply , in order to don't blow up anything ><" )

and ... what else is needed ?

BTW . I know I don't need 4 CH scope . therefor . I think to get some old analog scope (2CH ) just if needed . and of course , if I don't need It isn't in my "lab"  , so now I don't need it hence it's just for the future plans of mine

thank you in advance !

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 03:30:17 pm »
Don't forget when buying anything the line voltage must be correct. Some things are 220v only as well as 115 only. Nothing worse than buying gear and not being able to plug it in. Of course there are ways around that but be a careful shopper and it will make it easier.

The BK function gen and Agilent power supply are examples line voltages are not the same. Agilent says 220v and the Function gen says nothing so make sure you contact the seller and ask.

...mike

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 03:52:53 pm »
thank's mike , the link will not be valid when I'll get my budget , the links there for illustration purposes only ,

thank you in advance !

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:53 pm »
thank's mike , the link will not be valid when I'll get my budget , the links there for illustration purposes only ,

Even so, you picked out some good stuff. I'd be happy to have those items sharing some space on my bench. Everyone want's the best but good serviceable equipment is so important when you are starting.   

...mike

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 01:37:56 am »
In my experience, I've found the most use out of 2 or 3 power supplies, and at least 2, usually 4 DMM's.  This is
because I want to see voltage and current both at the input of a module/device under test and at the output.

A minimum 2 channel scope, and 4 if you can afford it. After that, you'll likely not need to buy a scope again, for a
very long time.

A basic function generator is necessary for design/debug.  I wish I had more than 1, or a 2-channel unit. As it turns out,
I often have to breadboard up a simple oscillator (or 2) when I need more than my single channel function generator can
provide. 

I haven't had much need for a frequency counter, as I don't do much RF work, but I have used a basic frequency
counter done in VHDL, flashed into an FPGA development board, to verify those oscillators that I end up having to build,
above.  Or I use the counter in the scope, depending on whether or not the scope channels are busy or not.

I own a USB logic analyzer, the LogicPort LA1034.  Really great instrument for seeing bus signals in the digital world.
It also has a built in frequency counter.

I want more cables, banana plug/jack type for power, more cables with smd clips (lots!), etc.  So don't underestimate
the value of lots of cables and clips.  I wish I had more than I have.  SMD and post grippers are far, far better than
alligator clips.  I have too many alligator clips and not enough smd/post grippers.

Good luck with your lab build and have fun!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf