Author Topic: lab equipment  (Read 22329 times)

Offline eevblogfanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: lab equipment
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2012, 08:50:22 pm »
is it 6K$ ???????????????,  or am I blind 0_0 ????

edit :

ooops , it's huf , my bad , (stupid google chrome translation )

it's like a 25$ , kinda nice , thank you :P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:54:27 pm by eevblogfan »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012, 12:18:39 pm »
yayyyyyyyy !

the uCurrent has arrived ! (it's in the mail ) so only tommorow I'll be able to play with it :P

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2012, 03:12:10 pm »
is it 6K$ ???????????????,  or am I blind 0_0 ????

edit :

ooops , it's huf , my bad , (stupid google chrome translation )

it's like a 25$ , kinda nice , thank you :P

its huf yes, would be better if it was 25 but not in usd but in huf, i would love it :D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 10:08:30 am »
hey !

I recived my uCurrent !!!

I am building a 0-1A CC , so I hope that pictures would be uploaded shortly  !

have anice day ! :)

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2012, 12:08:51 am »
I don't know what you intend to do, but I'm assuming you are young? I'm 17 years old, so if you are also young, I'm in your shoes. I have a Tektronix 465m. It's about a 35 year old scope but in MARVELOUS condition. I mean the build quality is top notch, internally and externally. Just beautiful. No Chinese scope could touch one of these old analog scopes.

Plus analog is no BS. Not ADC or possibly glitchy digital processing. Just straight-up analog electronics.

I got mine for $85 shipped to my house. Wow! 100MHz which is plenty of bandwidth for my needs.

I don't really see the point of investing in a DSO right now, because I'm not sure how much you'd get out of it. Are you going to use the TTL decoders and logic analyzers etc.?

If so, then go for it, but I think a cheap used analog scope will do you well. Only challenge it presents is space...

In addition, get a decent soldering iron, but don't go overboard and spend $500 on a JBC. Sparkfun has a nice Hakko 936 clone. I think it's like $40. Excellent iron. They even give you an internal build shot on Sparkfun. Looks pretty good.

Get between 2-4 multimeters. If you plan on doing anything with power electronics, then you might want to make some efficiency readings and you might, for example, want to compare watts-in to watts-out. 2 meters is fine for most, but you might find yourself wanting more.

You'll probably want a True RMS meter or two. My recommendation is to go with Amprobe. Excellent value in my opinion. I have 2 Amprobe meters myself and they are just really good for the money. I own the AM-270 and I highly recommend it. Very accurate and build quality looks like it's of a $200+ meter. You can get it for $80. You might want to get two of these more expensive meters and maybe 2 more meters within the $30-50 range. Amprobe AM-510, AM-240, or Extech 330 are very good meters in the category.

EDIT: Whoops completley did not see that Dave suggested this already...like exactly this. ^

Power supply! As you say, you want to build one yourself. It's a very manageable project if you'd like to do it yourself. I'm in the process of doing the same. However, you should be aware that you are not going to save money building your own PSU. And you'll probably have less functionality. You would probably be building a linear supply. If you really want up to 5A and 30V, you're going to need a hell of a transformer, some big heatsinks, big case and some overall pretty heavy duty stuff. It can get pretty expensive. If you can deal with that, then go for it.

I'd recommend getting some sort of vice. Panavise Jr. ss a pretty good stand. I have a "helping-hands". They are okay, but sometimes they just get you mad. I'd recommend something a little sturdier. You can also make your own type of vice if you'd like.

A whole lot of jumper wires and connectors. Wires with 4mm banana terminations are excellent since a lot of connectors are compatible with banana plugs. You should have maybe 3-5 sets of these. You can buy cheap banana plugs and mate some 14-18AWG wire with them if you'd like. Sometimes the legit banana patch wires a bit pricey.

A breadboard is super-helpful. Get a decent one. Don't go for the ultra cheapies. I think 3M makes decent boards. There's also a lot of good ones on eBay, but just be careful. Don't get a tiny breadboard, but you don't have to get one that's like 2ft x 2ft.

Some good lighting. I find that good lighting can make me much more productive. Try to position your lab by a window. Unfortuneatly I'm in my basement which can get depressing at times peering a circuit that I Was certain worked. A window helps you relax IMO.  But good lighting can help with this.

Anti-static mat. No, not the type that PC repair guys use. Like a big sheet of blue, green or black anti static matting. It's also a little tacky so your stuff doesn't roll around and good contrast to things like metallic wires and electronic components so you don't loose things.

A computer. If you don't have a computer near by, it's very helpful, especially if you want to look at a datasheet for some part. It's a pain in the arse to have to get up and google it and then go back and work on it.

A calculator. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. A cheap TI, Casio or HP scientific will do you well.

Lastly, your brain. That's where the true magic happens!

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see that you had some good meters already, and I didn't see your updates!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:15:35 am by FenderBender »

Offline hitachi8

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2012, 03:00:33 pm »
as Dave stated in many video; you can get an old analog scope for 50$.
for that price you can't really live without, those are practical too.
sure you cant save and view forms like you can with a modern one, but that's better than spending
300-500$ on one thing that you will only use 50hours a year.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2012, 04:42:26 am »
hey

hitachi8 . yes . because 50 hours is pretty much all I got for fun ,

hey fenderbender , I'm 16 years old , just 1 year apart :P

I plan to get locally an old analog scope , just for what Dave has mentioned , the old ones can capture things that the DSO just cant , plus , If I'll have both the DSO and the analog , I'll have 4CH to work with if I'll need to :P

I received my HP-3610A , great power supply , came calibrated+certificate , the only thing was the knobs , few (6) of them was either not match the pic or slightly tear (the binding posts ... )

apart from that , wow , that's a good one ,  Question : I set the voltage to X value . and then I loaded it with 0-1A CC , the difference between the set voltage and the voltage under load was exactly 82mV (I tried few voltage setting ,) is it OK for those HP-36XX series power supply ?

now my project is that 1A CC , after that , I'll work on the PS , the whole idea is not to compare with low ripple noise and stuff like this ,  the supply should be capable to just power on some stuff , the desired values are 15V at 5A X4  ,

now when I thinking on it , can you all post me here ,

(1) . what sort of field you are working at ?

(2) . what are the voltage@current requirement that you very often need/use ?

(3) .whats the number of channels you find yourself "must  have"

(4) .how important is the ripple noise for that usage ?

(5) .what is the accuracy(and number of counts[or]> 4 1/2 or 3 1/2 ) needed for the panel meters & the CV set ?

(6) assuming I'd like to have multiple ranges (for each individual CH ) what are the CC & CV valeuse you'll recommend/need for each range ?

(7) what option(s) (besides remote sens )  you "must" have for you're own usage(s) ?

if you've got more questions you'd like to ask / think I should think of , please post them here !

(+++) : if that post need to be in another thread please note me (either here of in PM m I think (?) :P )

thank you in advance ! and I hope that will get me off the un needed specs and focus me straight froward the real target I've aimed for :P 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf