Author Topic: Learning The Art of Electronics - Parts BOM  (Read 58592 times)

Offline jgalak

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
    • Blog, mostly about learning electronics.
Re: Learning The Art of Electronics - Parts BOM
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2017, 01:24:28 pm »
Not familiar with Tayda, but most of the parts came from Digikey/Mouser.  The only things I went to eBay from are a few discontinued and/or long lead time parts - things like the CA3096 bipolar array and the E-701 current regulator diode.  One other JFET, too.
Blog, mostly about learning electronics: http://kq2z.com/

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2017, 02:44:41 pm »
You don't need the constant current diodes really. That's a hang back by the authors from the original version of the book (The one I did many years ago). I couldn't get them then so I just build BJT current sinks. They actually give instructions on how to build BJT current sinks if you choose not to use one in the new book. The old one they don't! You can make your own ones with any old JFET and some resistors if you fancy it though.

CA3096 is a marvellous IC and I wish they didn't discontinue it. I have a whole tube I bought when I heard Intersil were pulling it. I use them for a lot of things (have built log amps, RF amps etc with them). The HFA3096 that is recommended as a replacement isn't that suitable. It has a transition frequency of something ridiculous like 4GHz and the Vce(max) is a little low for bipolar 15v supplies so it risks VHF oscillation and letting the smoke out.

The following users thanked this post: jgalak

Offline jgalak

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2017, 03:51:14 pm »
You don't need the constant current diodes really.

It was $7 (with shipping) for a pair.  Not a big deal to have to play with.  But yeah, I may try the alternate ones as well - current sinks/sources is one of the topics I don't understand real well - I can follow the math, but they aren't yet making intuitive sense to me.  So more variations on the theme is a good thing.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2017, 04:24:48 pm »
Good idea. Make sure you get a full understanding of current sources before you proceed to amplifiers or it won't make sense.

You need to build a couple to get used to the idea. Stray away from the book if you need to. This is a great video on the matter from forum use w2aew which covers different forms and applications including the current source diode (which is actually just a JFET with gate and source connected together really, then binned according to approximate current sinking amount).

If I'm honest, if w2aew wrote a book, it'd probably replace LTAoE as the canonical place to go for tutorials.

Offline jgalak

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2017, 05:27:05 pm »
Yup, I've been going through w2aew videos, they've helped quite a bit.  And yes, I "stray" all the time - reading through AoE, I've gone to the Khan academy videos to better explain some of the AC math, and to allaboutcircuits.com for a few things, etc.  Having lots of different options is great!

Offline Tim T

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2018, 10:53:03 pm »
FYI that Digikey has just obsoleted the TI LF411CN/NOPB which leaves a single 8DIP 411 op amp in their inventory (LF411CP) that can be purchased in small quantity.

tim

Offline Chuki

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2018, 09:24:06 pm »
Would print that on a T-shirt  :)

I have young children. 22:00-02:00 is play time for me

Offline Chuki

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2018, 09:27:40 pm »
The second good idea for T-shirt print for a 1-minute reading. Thanks. :)

[/quote]

If I blow up stuff, I tend to swap out the blown up thing and then see if it blows up again. You'd be surprised how many times it doesn't. [/quote]

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2018, 01:11:22 am »
Up a bit late (00:25) aren't you MrSlack? ;)
00:25 is late now? Okay.

Offline Mattjd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2018, 10:29:27 pm »
so does that digikey offer come sorted by chapter at least? I'm thinking of buying the book but I dont want to spend $300 up front on all the parts, I'd rather buy the parts as Im doing the chapters.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2018, 11:38:51 pm »
so does that digikey offer come sorted by chapter at least? I'm thinking of buying the book but I dont want to spend $300 up front on all the parts, I'd rather buy the parts as Im doing the chapters.

I wouldn't think so.  I would expect to receive identical components in a clear plastic envelope with a label.  Just like the other parts I receive from DigiKey.  The key to this is that there isn't a single part number for the kit but rather a long shopping list added to the cart.  I would expect to see as many envelopes as lines in the shopping cart.

You would need to look ahead to order parts.  Maybe do 3 or 4 chapters at a time.  If you don't, shipping and time lag will become an issue.

Also, some of the more expensive parts may be for experiments you intend to pencil whip.  Some of the digital examples are trivial and might just be glossed over.  Especially if they use parts that only apply to that particular experiment.

It also makes sense to buy resistor, capacitor and transistor kits rather than individual values/types.

https://www.jameco.com/z/00081832-540-Piece-1-4-Watt-5-Carbon-Film-Resistor-Component-Kit_81832.html

Jameco has kits for multiple wattage resistor, several types of capacitors, transistors and so on.  I like these kits because they come in a storage box.  I refill individual values with 100 pc lots from DigiKey.  Obviously, there are other ways to build up stock.

For example, you can overbuy when you order from DigiKey. 

You really can't be in the game without at least some stock-on-hand.

Offline gorillamotors

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2019, 12:01:46 pm »
I was thinking about getting this book along with the lab experiment book. Is it a good hobbyist read or the typical textbook read? Is it worthwhile getting them?

Jim

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2019, 12:48:39 pm »
The main book is a reference book but quite informally written and full of thought exercises.

The lab manual is a tutorial. Ok for hobbyist.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2019, 07:02:04 pm »
I was thinking about getting this book along with the lab experiment book. Is it a good hobbyist read or the typical textbook read? Is it worthwhile getting them?

Jim

The book is an offshoot of teaching electronics at Harvard.  Read the description for the "Student Manual..." a predecessor to "Learning ...".

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-Student-Manual/dp/0521377099

Sometimes I really wonder if these are the best way, or even a good way, to learn electronics at a hobby level.  I have both the text and the manual.  Both of these volumes have as a goal reducing the emphasis on math and I think that's enviable objective.

The other day I bought "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest Mims - it is a good introduction to the theory of electronics.  He has an entire series of books that are worth perusing.  They are more focused on a single topic than "Getting ...".  Do a Google search for his books and see if anything piques your interest.

Check out Dave's Fundamental Fridays videos.  He has an great video on op amps.  Don't forget W2AEW's videos, they are excellent.

Find a project, learn enough to build it and just have fun.

The experiments in "Learning ..." are graduated from beginning to some level and you almost feel compelled to work through all of them, in sequence.  They may not be in an order that suits your project building needs.  They are probably sequenced for a Harvard level course in basic electronics.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2019, 07:58:58 pm »
Have to agree with you there actually.

There was an excellent format by ARRL with their hands on radio series. An example:

https://www.qsl.net/kl7jef/Experiment%203-Basic%20Operational%20Amplifiers.pdf

https://www.qsl.net/kl7jef/Experiment%204-Active%20Filters.pdf

Mix that with w2aew goodness and I reckon that would be a killer.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:00:36 pm by bd139 »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2019, 08:18:31 pm »
Now, if they would just spend more time on integrators.  My singular application for op amps is analog computing.  I don't know about the others on this forum but I struggled with differential equations back in the early '70s (slide rules, not MATLAB).  It is so much more fun to take some of the classic forms and plug them into an analog computer and watch the scope.

I really like their presentations of op amp circuits using Kirchhoff's Current Law.  It really makes sense!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2019, 09:12:32 pm »
Yes. I love analogue computing just as something to do.

Now you see that's where TAOE does pretty well. Back in the early 90s I did an EE degree and it was all differential equations and shit. It didn't go in and I forgot it. So when doing a refresher recently, TAOE suggests you model the integrator as a current source with the input voltage and the input resistor charging a capacitor. Again using KCL at the inverting input. This fits neatly in C = I * dV/dT. You just work out what your dV and dT needs to be (easy enough) and then change C until I is reasonable, then pick a resistor. Done!

This scales up pretty well... creation of mine recently, which I owe TOAE for really. The entire thing is lifted from the text with some finger in the air calculations.

LTspice prototype:

Works there:

Breadboard build:

Bingo!

https://youtu.be/xl61gMaxmMQ

The following users thanked this post: iMo

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2019, 03:20:37 am »
One I built and one I bought (actually bought 2) - see attached

The first is from a project by Dr. Vogel:

http://www.analogmuseum.org/library/vogel_ar_beschreibung.pdf
http://www.analogmuseum.org/english/homebrew/vogel/

At first I thought the Vogel machine would be pretty limited but then I realized that most equations of motion only involve the 2d derivative (acceleration) so for many applications, including Predator-Prey (Lotka–Volterra Equations) the computer is fine.

I have spent quite a bit of time playing with DEs over the last year.  My grandson will soon be taking the class so I better be at the top of my game.

The following users thanked this post: iMo

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2019, 08:33:26 am »
Oh that’s a bit sexy that is. Will read into that when I get some time today.

I nearly bought a heathkit analogue computer a few years back. Something I regret not doing.

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2019, 01:10:44 pm »
@bd139 - the same experience from early 80ties. With a pocket computer (PC1251) in my pocket I had to mess with an analog computer during the first semester of my EE studies (solving diff eqs).  :palm: I wish I had the gear in my collection today!

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2019, 04:43:17 pm »
My experience was around '72 or so.  I graduated in '73 so things like calculators were only a dream.

That Vogel implementation is a very nice analog computer.  It has limited resources but it does have a multiplier, a couple of integrators, an inverter, three summers along with a sin() and saw() function generator.  It doesn't have Repeat Cycle so it works best with a scope that has one-shot capability like a modern DSO.  It is just about perfect for describing second order ordinary differential equations and that covers a lot of territory.

As a demonstration unit, it's very nice.

Online Selectech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2019, 03:17:39 pm »
Spent a lot of time with the Compdyna machines in '73 to '75. We had a bunch of them in our university engineering control systems lab. Lots of fun experimenting with various equations and setups. We also had an xy pplotter that we'd hook up to plot out responses.

It was an interesting alternative to digital computing. At the time we were using APL & Fortran to do other engineering problem sets.

In '74 I got an HP35, which I still have and it still runs.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2019, 05:07:22 pm »
Spent a lot of time with the Compdyna machines in '73 to '75. We had a bunch of them in our university engineering control systems lab. Lots of fun experimenting with various equations and setups.

Was one machine enough to model a control system or did you wind up ganging two or more machines?  I bought two machines hoping that I would have enough computing elements.  My grandson will be taking a control systems class at some point, probably in the next couple of years and I would like to have an adequate analog computer for the class.  There's just something about 'seeing' a system of equations in real life. 

I have been thinking about extending the Vogel design to a dozen op amps which could be used as integrators, summers or inverters.  Just a plugging option.

We also had an xy pplotter that we'd hook up to plot out responses.

I often use my Analog Discovery 2 instead of the scope.  This gives me a nice 27" display with screen capture and print.

It was an interesting alternative to digital computing. At the time we were using APL & Fortran to do other engineering problem sets.

In '74 I got an HP35, which I still have and it still runs.

I was doing a lot of my homework on an IBM1130 computer with FORTRAN.  We had APL but I never got around to using it.  Both of the machines had CalComp 1627 plotters.

I bought an HP45 shortly after they were introduced in '73.  It cost about $395 according to a Wiki although I have forgotten.  Apparently, that is equivalent to $2229 in 2008.

I have a bunch of graphing calculators but I actually use my HP 48GX every day.

Offline MangoAutomata

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2023, 09:06:16 pm »
I recently bought the book, and have painstakingly gone through all the parts mentioned on the available parts lists. For most parts there's an alternative, or you can get old stock from eBay, or some other workaround.

However, the 74LS503 chips are a problem. No longer manufactured, no alternatives, and looks to only be available in batches of ~20 from places with leftover stock, but can be recreated with a couple of programmable chips.

This link explains how to use ATF750C chips to emulate the 74LS503 chips: http://atomoptics.uoregon.edu/~dsteck/teaching/74503/

You can get the blank chips at DigiKey: https://www.digikey.co.za/en/products/detail/microchip-technology/ATF750C-10PU/1008432

I've attached the CUPL, sim and JEDEC files on that link, in case it dies. The JEDEC are the files to burn the chips, though I've been unable to find out what kind of programmer you need. (I'd be interested if anyone figures out how to do this.)

Luckily, it looks like DigiKey also has a service to program chips for you:
This part can be programmed by Digi-Key. For details please contact our custom department at custom.orders@digikey.com

I'll attach my updated list once I've ordered all the parts.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf