Author Topic: Learning The Art of Electronics vs. Practical Electronics for Inventors vs. OCW  (Read 3687 times)

Offline QuackoTopic starter

Hello,

I'm looking to get into electronics and electrical engineering as a hobby. Preferably, I'm looking for a course / learning resource that will teach me some theory, circuit design, etc, while also having fun hands-on projects or experiments to do along the way. After doing some research, and checking the 'primers' stickied topic, I came to the conclusion that the best learning resources for a beginner like me are LTAoE (I've heard that AoE is more of a reference book), Practical Electronics, and 6.002 from MIT opencourseware. I am a beginner, but I do have introductory e&m physics knowledge (so I already am familiar with essentials, such as Ohm's Law, although my knowledge isn't deep). Also, I would like to add that I have barely any knowledge of calculus, so I am preferably looking for a resource where I can get away with not using calculus too much.

Out of LTAoE, Practical Electronics, and MIT OCW - or maybe even some other resources - which would be the best for a beginner like me? I like the idea of the labs in LAoE, but I've also heard that many of them are not accessible to the average starting hobbyist.

Thanks!

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
One route to consider might be becoming a radio amateur.  It's free and you can study for the test online.  If you can pass that test you will have no trouble figuring out how to proceed with your hobby.  (I think calculus is not a subject that a lot of radio amateurs understand.  It's appropriate for serious hobbyists and engineers.)

You will need a simple multimeter, maybe an oscilloscope and signal generator to get started.  Monkeying around with these devices will reveal many truths.

Don't treat electronics as an academic exercise, especially if it's a hobby.  Build simple projects, subscribe to magazines, and if you get your license you can get on the air and communicate with other amateurs to ask questions and look for guidance.

You can also find many forums online for various electronics aspects, including this one.

Offline QuackoTopic starter

One route to consider might be becoming a radio amateur.  It's free and you can study for the test online.  If you can pass that test you will have no trouble figuring out how to proceed with your hobby.  (I think calculus is not a subject that a lot of radio amateurs understand.  It's appropriate for serious hobbyists and engineers.)

You will need a simple multimeter, maybe an oscilloscope and signal generator to get started.  Monkeying around with these devices will reveal many truths.

Don't treat electronics as an academic exercise, especially if it's a hobby.  Build simple projects, subscribe to magazines, and if you get your license you can get on the air and communicate with other amateurs to ask questions and look for guidance.

You can also find many forums online for various electronics aspects, including this one.

Thank you for your reply! While it is a hobby, I do want to get serious with it and have the ability to do complex things and actually know what I'm doing (at least to some degree). I am currently planning to go deeper into Calculus very soon, but I just want a general electronics resource where I can obtain the knowledge to make almost anything (or at least, the fundamentals to move on to a learning source where I can obtain the knowledge to make almost everything). From what I've seen, there are good learning sources that don't require calculus, although it is a nice-to-have. So, I do want to approach it as an academic exercise with a hobby aspect, I guess, at least for now, since I'm mainly interested in acquiring skills. What would be your opinion on the resources I mentioned?

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
For 'engineering' level electronics, Calculus (Differential and Integral, usually two separate courses) are simply 'table stakes' - the bare minimum to get started.  The difficulty isn't with learning Calculus, that part is fairly easy, it's the pre-calc that takes all the effort.  It includes Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry and Trigonometry.  These have to be rock solid before even thinking about Calculus.

The good news is that there are resources all over the Internet.  Khan Academy has an excellent math program and a separate EE program, 3Blue1Brown has a terrific playlist of videos (but not really tutorial) and, if you don't mind spending a little money to subscribe, it doesn't get any better than CalcWorkshop.  CalcWorkshop really helped my grandson get a degree in Applied Mathematics.  The videos are excellent!  BTW, the topic of Limits is free and you can get a feel for how the program goes.  Limits turns out to be a very important topic.

https://calcworkshop.com/limits/finding-limits-graphically/

You will undoubtedly run into Symbolab for solving math problems and Desmos for graphing functions.  You will learn to use MATLAB or Octave for all kinds of things and advanced MATLAB stuff for Control Systems and just about everything else.  LTspice will become your best friend.

I don't care for analog electronics because I learned to do the math with a slide rule.  It was just too ugly to contemplate so I spent my time in digital.  I like FPGAs and uCs plus I like writing code.  There is an Arduino Starter Kit that includes everything necessary to get started:

https://www.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Project-Tutorial-Controller-Projects/dp/B01D8KOZF4/

There is some tutorial content along with detailed instructions.  Having this as a background will be helpful.  There is a similar kit for the Raspberry Pi

https://www.amazon.com/Freenove-Raspberry-Processing-Tutorials-Components/dp/B06W54L7B5

There's a lot of education in these kits and they're fun to play with.

I don't have any recommendations on books.  I have all 3 volumes of "Art of Electronics" and I don't find them that useful.  First because I don't play in the analog world and second because books don't replace actually breadboarding real circuits.  Maybe the experiments in "LAoE" are useful but I haven't worked through them.

I would start with Forrest Mim's books:

https://www.amazon.com/Forrest-M.-Mims-III/e/B003UGHJVE

BTW, Art of Electronics attempts to keep the math light and is useful in that situation.  I haven't read it enough to know how they deal with transfer functions, feedback systems, field theory or any of the other myriad topics that are all high level math.

I claim to avoid analog but that's not entirely true.  I enjoy analog computing and using op amps to solve ordinary differential equations.  These are extremely ugly to solve by hand but they can be plotted with MATLAB.  Somehow, seeing the solutions on a scope makes sense to me.  I have analog computers but another way to go is to use the Simulink add-on to MATLAB.  You will find, as you go along, that MATLAB can do anything.  Octave is a subset but it has the advantage of being free.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 04:33:35 pm by rstofer »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor

While it is a hobby, I do want to get serious with it and have the ability to do complex things and actually know what I'm doing (at least to some degree). I am currently planning to go deeper into Calculus very soon, but I just want a general electronics resource where I can obtain the knowledge to make almost anything (or at least, the fundamentals to move on to a learning source where I can obtain the knowledge to make almost everything). From what I've seen, there are good learning sources that don't require calculus, although it is a nice-to-have. So, I do want to approach it as an academic exercise with a hobby aspect, I guess, at least for now, since I'm mainly interested in acquiring skills. What would be your opinion on the resources I mentioned?

Electronics is a VAST topic and people spend an entire career working in one small corner of the sandbox.

Were it me, I would try some of the kits available at Amazon just to get the flavor of working with components.  In the background, I would be going through the programs at CalcWorkshop and KhanAcademy.  I would learn the fundamentals of DC circuits by studying Ohm's Law, Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits, Kirchhoff's Laws (as a side issue, I would learn how to solve matrix problems with Octave or MATLAB), nodal and mesh analysis and perhaps basic transistor circuits for switching.  I would leave amplifiers until I had time to go through a program in AC circuits.  They're a lot like DC circuits but they bring in complex numbers.  At this point, I would be looking to upgrade my lab.

A little nodal analysis just for giggles (start at Reply 5 for the answers).   With nodal analysis, we treat the common trace above the resistors as a single node and assume current flows for the 3 resistor branches and ignore the op amp input because it doesn't draw current (ideal op amp rule).  All of the currents are assumed to be leaving the node but the sum must equal zero.  Clearly, one of more branches are going to have negative current because we assumed the wrong direction.  No worries, it all works out when you add them up, they will come to 0.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/is-this-possible-301664/

The current in each branch is determined from Ohm's Law as (Vnode - Vsource) / R which can have any value but 1 Ohm works for calculating the voltage.  It doesn't work well for the op amp feedback so I picked 1k later on (read further for the complete solution).  Install LTspice and download the models.

Here's a little MATLAB code to study a time delay capacitor/resistor circuit - start at Reply 6  See CarRC.pdf (attahced)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/how-to-delay-a-relay-opening/msg3849953/#msg3849953

I like it when we get to do math problems on eevBlog!

You need at least a dual channel scope, a dual channel arbitrary waveform generator and a lot of the other toys that come along with the Digilent Analog Discovery 2.  It was a lot easier to recommend this at the old price of $279.  At $400, it's a hard sell except:  It has a dual channel scope, a dual channel arbitrary waveform generator, 16 bits of digital IO which can be used as a logic analyzer, a dual channel DMM and other gadgets like the network analyzer (you will find this useful when you get to filters and Bode' Plots.  Read up on it, I find it my most used piece of test equipment.

https://digilent.com/shop/analog-discovery-2-100ms-s-usb-oscilloscope-logic-analyzer-and-variable-power-supply/

Install the Waveforms software and poke around with the 'Demo' device just to get a flavor of what the machine can do.  I can spend an entire day with the AD2, a 10k resistor and a 0.1 ufd ceramic capacitor.  I can look at the forced response by hitting the RC circuit with a square wave or I can look at the frequency domain by sweeping across the frequency spectrum looking at attenuation.  This gadget really is useful and many universities are now using them instead of a bench full of test equipment.  Everything a student needs and it fits in the side pocket of a backpack.  I have attached 3 of the screen shots.

https://digilent.com/shop/software/digilent-waveforms/

The BodePlot.png file shows the frequency response of a low pass filter using my favorite 10k resistor and 0.1 ufd capacitor.  We're interested in where the top trace is -3dB down.  We used to just handwave this stuff in college back in the day but now it's trivial to get an actual answer.

The ForcedResponse.png shows the response from the same low pass filter getting hit with an 83 Hz square wave.  I wanted to show the charge and discharge curves for several time constants.  You will learn that Vout = Vin * (1-e-t/Tau) and Tau is the time constant equal to R(Ohms) times C(Farads).  Since Tau = 1 ms, we are watching a 6*Tau charge and a 6*Tau discharge.  You will learn that at 6 Tau, the capacitor is 99.75% charged or discharged.

Finally, there is a Fast Fourier Transform of a 1 MHz square wave.  The spikes show the voltage in the harmonics.  You will learn that a square wave can be composed of sine waves starting with the fundamental frequency and adding in all the odd harmonics at declining amplitudes out to infinity (which we can't really reach).  In any event, we might only be interested in a few harmonics.  This comes up when you buy a 100 MHz clock and find that after about 10 MHz, square waves start to look increasing like just a sine wave.  At 100 MHz, it will usually look exactly like a sine wave because the 3rd harmonic (the next after the fundamental) is 300 MHz and the scope can't display much at that frequency.  Keep that in mind...

I really like the tool and I figure it is the best way for students to go.  They have all the tools they will need in a small box, easy to transport.  I understand that most people are going to blow it off and buy discrete tools because, individually, they will have better specs but if they duplicate everything in the AD2, they're going to have a bunch of money in test equipment.  Everybody gets to make their own choice!

I like playing around with circuits from time to time.  When I do, it is almost always with the AD2 even though I have a bench full of test equipment.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 05:35:53 pm by rstofer »

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Hello,

I'm looking to get into electronics and electrical engineering as a hobby. Preferably, I'm looking for a course / learning resource that will teach me some theory, circuit design, etc, while also having fun hands-on projects or experiments to do along the way. After doing some research, and checking the 'primers' stickied topic, I came to the conclusion that the best learning resources for a beginner like me are LTAoE (I've heard that AoE is more of a reference book), Practical Electronics, and 6.002 from MIT opencourseware. I am a beginner, but I do have introductory e&m physics knowledge (so I already am familiar with essentials, such as Ohm's Law, although my knowledge isn't deep). Also, I would like to add that I have barely any knowledge of calculus, so I am preferably looking for a resource where I can get away with not using calculus too much.

Out of LTAoE, Practical Electronics, and MIT OCW - or maybe even some other resources - which would be the best for a beginner like me? I like the idea of the labs in LAoE, but I've also heard that many of them are not accessible to the average starting hobbyist.

Thanks!

Welcome to the hobby!  The answer to your question is "it depends".  It depends on 1) what you want to learn, and 2) how you like to learn.

What:  could be hardware, software, analog, digital and various combinations.  Probably best from a fundamentals standpoint to start with analog and hardware but it can pretty quickly get to software and digital.

How:  you might be able to learn by reading from a text book or a guide book either front to back or by scanning for what addresses your questions and interests, or you might like something more interactive like the MIT course.  Either way, I think you will find that you can read books, read web articles, watch youtube videos, take courses, and try all sorts of approaches but to really get somewhere you have to do some hands on project work.  You need to build some things and maybe even before you build much you need to measure stuff.  When your understanding of the concepts and your measurements start to line up you will be on the path.  When you can measure values in circuits - starting with volts, amps, and ohms and moving to watts, and then farads and henries, and then getting to dBs and more - and when you can start to find missing values by doing the math and when you can reasonably predict values and outcomes you will be making good progress.  To do this you need to be hands on - which will require some test equipment such as a DMM (and probably at least 2 DMMs).  Pretty soon you will want other test equipment (power supply, oscilloscope, signal generator, etc.) and you will want to build up some parts, breadboards, wire, tools, etc.  A lot can be done with breadboards, other projects will need some soldering capabilities.

bob91343's suggestion about getting an amateur radio license can also put you on a very good path for learning and doing if that's of interest and is feasible for you.

Mostly you just need to jump in and try to measure and build.  If you can do algebra you can get started with lots of learning projects, and then whatever isn't clear to you will become a question or a series of questions, which will lead you to Google for answers, and you can also post questions here.  After a while you will see that your questions and interests start to cluster around recurring concepts, and those concepts will be useful to defining your preferred curriculum - which will lead to youtube and other web research, more reading, and more experimenting. 

It's a bit of a spiral process but when your measurements and your understanding of the concepts start to align you will very likely be moving forward. 

For the smoothest path if you are really starting near the beginning, I'd say start with low voltage analog hardware and work your way from simple circuits with passive components to power supplies to active components, digital circuits, and software.  I think starting with Ohm's law and analog is the best place to start but if you know you like digital and software you can learn a bunch about the intersection of analog and digital and the intersection of hardware and software by doing Arduino projects - of which there are a zillion. 

rstofer has provided some good curriculum (including Arduino kit projects) and test equipment/tool suggestions (he is keen on the Digilent Analog Discovery 2 as a good all in one tool).  Just depends on where you are starting from and where you want to go.

However and wherever you go, enjoy the journey.  You definitely came to the right place to ask more questions.  EEVblog is an outstanding resource.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
We tend to toss the capacitor charge and discharge equation around but here is a video on how to derive the charging voltage and current.  Discharge is left to the student.

I'm not suggesting anyone try to actually learn the equation from the video without the math background but I thought it would be a good taste of the kinds of things EE involves.  Some of this will be handwaved in DC circuits as the math comes a little later on.  DiffyQs as they are called (Differential Equations) comes up around semester 3 I believe.  It could be semester 4 if there is a Calc 3 class.  In any event, you don't need to know it on entry into a program.

https://youtu.be/rGDIq7meG94

3Blue1Brown does a great job with the Fast Fourier Transform among many other topics:

https://youtu.be/spUNpyF58BY

The author of 3Blue1Brown used to work for Khan Academy but has branched off on his own.  He does terrific animations!

The resources on the Internet are staggering.  I really wish we would have had something like this back in the late '60s and early '70s.  I might have actually learned something.

There are some interesting videos at Computerphile.com and Numberphile.com only vaguely related to EE but fun.  Holly is easy to watch.

NancyPi has a great channel and she's also easy to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRGXV1QlxZ8aucmE45tRx8w

KatKimShow also has some excellent videos, especially on control systems (requires a bit of math)

https://www.youtube.com/c/katkimshow/playlists

So many resources, so little time...

Oh, Digilent has a Real Analog series with lectures, labs and documentation.  It is well worth the time

https://learn.digilentinc.com/classroom/realanalog/

Try this to get a taste

https://youtu.be/0ajtS0zSRvY?list=PL170A01159D42313D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 06:34:50 pm by rstofer »

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor

I'm a licensed ham myself, and I don't really see much value in it as a path to learning electronics. The hobby isn't what it used to be and most of the other hams I've encountered are not very technical, it mostly seems to be a mix of 4x4 guys and old guys complaining about health problems and politics. It's worth pursuing if one has an interest in RF and radio communications  but I wouldn't expect to find much useful information on the air. Unlike the golden age of amateur radio in the post-WWII years, almost nobody builds or even modifies their own equipment these days.

The following users thanked this post: MikeK

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Covid brought us distance learning.  Many universities have found a new revenue stream in broadcasting complete degree programs.  MIT thorugh OpenCourseware is one approach, Stanford was doing remote learning clear back in the late '70s.  In fact, even the resident students were watching the presentation on a projection screen.  The professor was behind the curtain, so to speak.

I don't know how many universities also allow time shifting.  Of the programs I know about, the classes are still live but distributed.  The recording is available for time shifting but you would miss out on asking questions.

For most universities and especially for private universities where tuition is on the order of $50k/year, you need to take a full load of 12 to 15 units per semester.  That is a big deal!  You are far better off to take the lower division courses at a community college and I can't say I know anything about whether they are doing distance learning.  It's worth looking into.  This would allow a student to get the nonsense courses out of the way at a reduced cost while still keeping a daytime job.

Sometimes you can get information about online courses from the college's web site.  Of course there is also the possibility of in-person classes if they don't conflict with other commitments.

There are a lot more opportunities based on Covid.

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
I'm a licensed ham myself, and I don't really see much value in it as a path to learning electronics. The hobby isn't what it used to be and most of the other hams I've encountered are not very technical, it mostly seems to be a mix of 4x4 guys and old guys complaining about health problems and politics. It's worth pursuing if one has an interest in RF and radio communications  but I wouldn't expect to find much useful information on the air. Unlike the golden age of amateur radio in the post-WWII years, almost nobody builds or even modifies their own equipment these days.

Some have recommended to start learning general electronics from the ARRL handbook.  Allegedly it is easier to understand and read?
I'm interested in a few books.  Was thinking about starting with the Getting Started book by Forest Mims.  Then Make:Electronics by Platt.  Followed by the ARRL -- skipping the sections on ham radio.   After that Practical Electronics for Inventors and then finally The Art of Electronics.  Does this sound like a good approach?  Also some have suggested "All New Electronics Teaching Guide", but I don't know where I'd fit that in, perhaps after the ARRL handbook sections on general electronics.   (I got all A's in Trig, College Algebra, Calculus I , II, III & Diffy Q, but that was 30 years ago and forgot all of it but basic Algebra, lol -- never used it for computer science.)

Also after watching the following video, "Electronics for Beginners" book seems interesting.  Maybe I should start with this one?  Or the Forest/Platt books?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:23:44 pm by JenniferG »
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
I see I have posted a couple of "walls of text" to this thread...

I have a real problem with the question because I'm not sure of the end goal.  If it is to become an EE by some back door process then, sure, buy textbooks and study math for a few years (which you already did) and add in Laplace, Fourier and Maxwell beyond DiffyQs and you should be good to go.  A long time ago (like nearly 50 years) I did the EE program and I learned little of practical value.  I did learn a lot of theory and math but nothing that brought any real insight.  We didn't actually 'build' anything.

Today, I would start with the "Starter Kits" on Amazon (pick one) and work through the experiments.  The tutorials that accompany the kit explain enough of the theory to provide a head start on the more mathematical explanations.  Get used to the parts of the trade rather than just the numbers and graphs.

It also seems to me that uCs have taken over almost all hobby electronics and a good part of commercial electronics.  Personally, I would start with the Arduino or Raspberry Pi kits and follow along with every experiment.  There really is a lot of learning in those kits.  Just because the experiment doesn't show probing voltages here and there doesn't mean you shouldn't. 

BTW, watching PWM voltages is one place where an old fashioned VOM (Volt Ohm Milliammeter) shines.  The needle tracks the pulse width very nicely.

I already have a couple of Simpson 260s but if I didn't, I might go for something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-GMT-318-Multimeter-Function/dp/B00291X79O

The classic uC project is to read a potentiometer and use it to set the width of the output pulse.  The needle will dance right along.  As the lowest full scale is 10V, you won't get a lot of swing from a 3.3V output but it's just a demonstration.  The clever student would run the pulse into a transistor with a 1k collector resistor and a 9V battery to get the voltage up a bit.  A 10k base resistor would be fine.  This will invert the sense of the potentiometer versus pulse width but no big deal.

https://youtu.be/8c8NLfAP4oY

The really forward thinking student would move beyond the pot/ADC and just use a loop in code to change the pulse width at a rate the meter can follow (say 2 seconds or so from 0 to 255).

That meter has an impedance of 2k Ohms/Volt which means that on the 10V scale it looks like a 20k Ohm resistor.  That's pretty low but not important for this experiment where is will be in series with a 1k resistor. 

Some DMMs have a fast acting bar graph which will work just as well but with much higher impedance.  This creates less of a load on any signals being measured.

There are so many things like this that seem simple, even trivial, but have a much deeper impact on learning.

I think the Forrest Mims books would be a great way to start; there are several.  There's time later to dig deep into the math behind everything.  Maybe use the AoE to answer specific questions once they arise.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 12:02:01 am by rstofer »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
I'm interested in a few books.  Was thinking about starting with the Getting Started book by Forest Mims.  Then Make:Electronics by Platt.  Followed by the ARRL -- skipping the sections on ham radio.   After that Practical Electronics for Inventors and then finally The Art of Electronics.  Does this sound like a good approach?

Don't overthink it, go for the Mims series and see how it works out.  Personally, I would skip the ARRL Handbook or put it on back burner.

Start here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0945053282

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
Don Lancaster cookbooks

https://www.tinaja.com/

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
The Don Lancaster cookbooks are useful references but they're not really suited to learning electronics. They're more for when someone already has a decent understanding and is looking for a circuit or technique to accomplish something. Much like a standard cookbook doesn't really teach you how to cook, it just has instructions for making specific recipes.

Online rdl

• Super Contributor
Don't overlook actual textbooks. "Electronic Principles" by Albert Malvino is pretty good. He has an easy to read writing style. If interest leans toward the digital, there's Floyd's "Digital Fundamentals". Used textbooks are fairly cheap and you don't really need the latest version.

I've only read parts, but the Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series (NEETS) might be really useful and you can easily find pdf versions.

Of the Mims books, if you're truly a beginner and know little to nothing then "Getting Started in Electronics" is great. His other electronics books you can probably skip for now.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Books are boring!  I would rather suggest starter kits than books.  Any circuit, even a transistor inverter can be studied better with a DMM than a PDF.

It's too easy to get a little behind in book reading and then start slipping past pages agreeing that "sure, I understand that" when you really don't.  But when there is a physical experiment, parts have to be correctly connected before anything works.

Textbooks are the worst because they seldom use practical circuits.  Twenty amps for an Ohm's Law problem?  That's pretty typical of textbook discussions.  Not so easy to breadboard!

Be aware that the NEETS program uses electron flow rather than the more normal conventional current flow.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
You can search Amazon for 'assortments' of transistors, resistors and capacitors.  300 transistors for $10, that kind of thing.  This gives you a range of parts for experiments.  These are likely to be floor sweepings and not nearly match the datasheet but that's part of experimenting.

https://www.amazon.com/Transistor-Assortment-Values-Pieces-General/dp/B09DWP4XZ6
https://www.amazon.com/BOJACK-Values-Resistor-Resistors-Assortment/dp/B08FD1XVL6
https://www.amazon.com/BOJACK-Ceramic-Capacitor-Assortment-Capacitors/dp/B07P7HRGT9
https://www.amazon.com/BOJACK-Electrolytic-Capacitor-Assortment-0-1uF%EF%BC%8D1000uF/dp/B07PBQXQNQ

Toss in a 9V battery and clip and you can spend a bunch of time with Ohm's Law (and Kirchhoff's Laws and Thevenin/Norton equivalent circuits).

w2aew has some videos on transistor circuits as does EEVblog.

Build real understanding by building real circuits.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 04:50:22 pm by rstofer »

Offline bottledwater

• Contributor
The books approach probably won't work. I would recommend thinking of something you want to build first, then start building a small part of it. If you want to build something using a micro-controller, start by finding its datasheet to see what voltage it needs to run. Then in a book, or anywhere else, you find a number of ways to make a specific voltage. Then you build it up on a breadboard, put a battery in one end of it and a multimeter in the other, to check that the right voltage is present. And so on. This first step, getting everything together to make it work, may take you a month, but facing the problems and satisfaction of making work in real life is very important. It's not something you can save until you've read all the books. I say that as a big fan of books :)

Offline bidrohini

• Regular Contributor
Here are some beginner-level electronics courses:
https://www.udemy.com/topic/electronics/

The following users thanked this post: JenniferG

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Here's a neat little power supply for 3.3V and 5V that is powered by a 9V wall wart with barrel plug.

https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Breadboard-Supply-Arduino-Solderless/dp/B010UJFVTU
https://www.amazon.com/ZJchao-Power-Adapter-Arduino-2-Flat-Pin/dp/B00CP1QLSC

Change all the book problems to use either of these voltages and change the low value resistors (like the ever popular 10 Ohm resistor) into something in the 1k to 10k range.  They math procedures are the same, just the scale is different.  You'll have milliamps instead of amps.  It's the theory that matters, not the scale.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 08:30:33 pm by rstofer »

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
I'm interested in a few books.  Was thinking about starting with the Getting Started book by Forest Mims.  Then Make:Electronics by Platt.  Followed by the ARRL -- skipping the sections on ham radio.   After that Practical Electronics for Inventors and then finally The Art of Electronics.  Does this sound like a good approach?

Don't overthink it, go for the Mims series and see how it works out.  Personally, I would skip the ARRL Handbook or put it on back burner.

Start here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0945053282

Thanks I'll do that -- just go with the Getting Started by Mims.

I've done a bit with arduino in the past both with reading voltages via pots on analog ports, and also generating PWM signals.  I don't own an analog meter but will get one.  Your little exercises you outlined seem fun :)

Here's a project I am currently working on with Arduino:  TD-3 Daugther Board.  I basically put an arduino, bunch of relays, diy vactrols and a breadboard on one PCB which mounts to the Behringer TD-3 PCB.  The relays control mods which use switches and the vactrols act as variable resistors for those mods which need a variable resistor in this Roland TB-303 clone.

Here's a link to the thread on my project above:  https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=267971

Also since it's computer controlled, I have both switch modulation and vactrol modulation settings.  All controlled by 3 push button rotary encoders along with a couple other buttons.   Also have an OLED :)

Here's a little video of one part of this project:

SM = Switch Modulation i.e. modulating turning reed relay on and off at the rate dialed in;  VM = Vactrol Modulation (or Variable Resistor Modulation).  Programmed it in C++ on the Arduino Mini Mega.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:30:18 pm by JenniferG »

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
Don Lancaster cookbooks

https://www.tinaja.com/

Jon

Here are some beginner-level electronics courses:
https://www.udemy.com/topic/electronics/

Thank you I've journaled them in my Electronics Reference & Learning Resources entry -- I love Day One, since I can search on keywrods to find stuff in all my entries :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:41:13 pm by JenniferG »

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
Don't overlook actual textbooks. "Electronic Principles" by Albert Malvino is pretty good. He has an easy to read writing style. If interest leans toward the digital, there's Floyd's "Digital Fundamentals". Used textbooks are fairly cheap and you don't really need the latest version.

I've only read parts, but the Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series (NEETS) might be really useful and you can easily find pdf versions.

Of the Mims books, if you're truly a beginner and know little to nothing then "Getting Started in Electronics" is great. His other electronics books you can probably skip for now.

I am more interested in Analog since I'm interested in DIY electronic music synths.  With respect to digital, I feel comfortable. It's easy and doesn't require a lot of math. I already know boolean algebra.  I've built a microprcessor in Logicworks using just gates (decoder, alu, registers etc.) I've done a lot with arduino etc.. and know how to program in many languages including C/C++/Java etc..

What really prompted me to want to dive into the math etc and learn analog electronics is someone was talking about how the DAC on the Daisy Seed is only AC coupled wheras other DAC's are DC coupled.. and how DC coupled is more ideal because they can be used for CV signals and easily converted to AC coupled if needed.  I read that it's harder to convert AC coupled into DC coupled.   I didn't understand anything that was explained to me regarding this.  I feel so stupid lol.    He was using all sorts of terms I didn't understand.   

Plus I need to learn AC so I can understand the RC networks / Op-amp feedback etc.. to understand say how the kick drum of an 808 or the hit hats of a 909 are synthesized.  Etc..

I need to learn how to construct complex analog waveforms both with electronic circuitry as well as programming.  All this requires a lot of heavy math I believe.  Forgot so much math.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:49:18 pm by JenniferG »

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
Should I start with perhaps Make:Electronics first? Is it easier than Mims Getting Started? 

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
You can search Amazon for 'assortments' of transistors, resistors and capacitors.  300 transistors for $10, that kind of thing.  This gives you a range of parts for experiments.  These are likely to be floor sweepings and not nearly match the datasheet but that's part of experimenting.

https://www.amazon.com/Transistor-Assortment-Values-Pieces-General/dp/B09DWP4XZ6
https://www.amazon.com/BOJACK-Values-Resistor-Resistors-Assortment/dp/B08FD1XVL6
https://www.amazon.com/BOJACK-Ceramic-Capacitor-Assortment-Capacitors/dp/B07P7HRGT9
https://www.amazon.com/BOJACK-Electrolytic-Capacitor-Assortment-0-1uF%EF%BC%8D1000uF/dp/B07PBQXQNQ

Toss in a 9V battery and clip and you can spend a bunch of time with Ohm's Law (and Kirchhoff's Laws and Thevenin/Norton equivalent circuits).

w2aew has some videos on transistor circuits as does EEVblog.

Build real understanding by building real circuits.

Oh I have a lot of semiconductors here.  Many IC's, transistors, voltage regulators, MCU's, breadboards, lots of solid core hookup wire, pots, switches, relays, connectors, jacks, stripboards, resistors, caps (electrolytic, ceramic, film, tantulum), LDR's, LED's,  etc..  I have UT61E & GDM-8251 for meters.  I have a Gwinstek bench 3 channel power supply.  An old function generator.  Logic Analyzer.  Tektronix 2225 -- will be buying Siglent SDS-1104X-E when it drops back down to $399.   I have bunch of soldering tools, including Hakko 926, helping hands etc..  Also have large magnifying light (which is helpful with my 50 year old eyes).  Heat Shrink tube, heat gun etc..  I want to buy a hot plate, air gun etc. and learn SMD soldering.  Every semiconductor I currently have is TTH, because I like to breadboard.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:56:53 pm by JenniferG »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf