Author Topic: 1 Uart In -> 16 Uart_Out  (Read 2536 times)

Offline ElectricGuyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
1 Uart In -> 16 Uart_Out
« on: April 20, 2015, 02:55:02 am »
Hi;

I did the attached circuit. It is supose to acept one TX Uart from a micro and provide 16 outputs so i can connect 16 devices.
They all are close, 30cm away maximum, and it has to me Uart, so I2C, SPI or 485, its out of question.

What do you think about the circuit, it will work?

Thank you.
Thank you!
Regards
ElectricGuy

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
Re: 1 Uart In -> 16 Uart_Out
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 03:10:11 am »
If all your devices doesn't load the signal too much (like if it goes more or less directly into a microcontroller made after the 70'ies) then I'd guess you really don't need any circuitry at all.   A fanout of 16 on a slow signal like an uart sounds more than reasonable to me.

But if you really want to have something between the uart and the receivers then your schematics seems just fine.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:15:02 am »
If all your devices doesn't load the signal too much (like if it goes more or less directly into a microcontroller made after the 70'ies) then I'd guess you really don't need any circuitry at all.   A fanout of 16 on a slow signal like an uart sounds more than reasonable to me.

But if you really want to have something between the uart and the receivers then your schematics seems just fine.

Thank you for your answer.
Actually it's based on recent PIC micro.
Thank you!
Regards
ElectricGuy

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:33:42 am »
The extra buffer might provide some protection for the USART - if one device fails in a shorting way, then this is better - one dies, the rest still live. But yeah, if you don't mind that and are not running at some obscene frequencies, then a direct connection should be OK.

By the way, you have 16 bit wide ICs like this (of most 74xx bus like logic), see http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/74LVC_LVCH16245A.pdf

Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:35:26 am »
The extra buffer might provide some protection for the USART - if one device fails in a shorting way, then this is better - one dies, the rest still live. But yeah, if you don't mind that and are not running at some obscene frequencies, then a direct connection should be OK.

By the way, you have 16 bit wide ICs like this (of most 74xx bus like logic), see http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/74LVC_LVCH16245A.pdf

Thank You for your advice!
Thank you!
Regards
ElectricGuy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf