Author Topic: Lithium on silicon?  (Read 382 times)

Offline algorithmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Lithium on silicon?
« on: June 22, 2022, 10:22:59 am »
So, replaced a transistor, but lacking proper heat sink compound I in my ignorance used the only grease I had, lithium. Only months later did I think "that might eat that". Will it eat that plastic encasement? If so what sort of time frame? Any hope of cleaning it off and applying proper grease? Or will that part be wanting to fail sooner than usual? like a loose bolt rubberless shopping trolley wheel. Replacing it isnt a big deal if so. Thanks

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Lithium on silicon?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 11:33:52 am »
Plastic.... the transistor package you mean?  Nah it's epoxy, not much short of fuming nitric acid eats it.

FWIW, anything is better than nothing; lithium grease isn't the worst thing you could've put in there, and if it's not running near limits, it's probably fine.  (What's the worst thing, then?  Air!)

Tim
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:35:24 am by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: algorithm

Offline algorithmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Lithium on silicon?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 12:16:14 pm »
Schwoo, thats a relief. I thought about that, but wasnt sure if the lithium could degrade it after enough time. But good point about the standard in decapsulation, I should have thought of that, because nobody decaps with lithium grease lol. Thanks for the confirmation t3sl4co1l

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf