Author Topic: Basic essentials: electronic components for every experimenter's lab  (Read 10550 times)

Offline chipwitchTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • I barely know you!
Seems like every other day I think of something I should add to my growing collection of basic components.  I spend as much on shipping as I do on components.  I'm sure all you experienced experimenters have your favorite semis... you know, the ones you just can't live without.  I'd like to start compiling a comprehensive list of components, not tools are test equipment, but the building blocks for just about any circuit.  I'm looking for specifics, including quantities.  555s, 595s, LM350s etc...  Maybe lists like this are already out there.  If you know of one, please post it.  Or maybe you know of some really good kits.  Normally, I'm not a big fan of kits because you usually get too many of the things you don't need and not enough of the ones you do.   Personally, instead of having 10 of a hundred different BJTs, I'd rather have a hundred of 10 basic transistors that I could use to build just about any prototype.

So, what components do YOU find essential to complete YOUR shop?
hello?.... <screech>.... is this thing on?

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Basic essentials: electronic components for every experimenter's lab
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:36:23 pm »
I've tried to make this list, and so has almost every other engineer. The truth is, 90% of the stuff you buy in a list like this you will never use, and you'll still have to buy 99% of the parts you want. Beyond keeping a stock of common values for passive parts (I like keeping resistor books around) you should probably just let your parts collection grow naturally.

I still have a bunch of 74HC logic that I have no idea what I'm going to do with, because I tried to predict what future me might need.
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

• Frequent Contributor
  • I barely know you!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:51:22 pm »
Yeah, it's probably a fools errand to try to make a comprehensive list anticipating your needs for the future.  But, is this really the same thing?  I'm asking what YOU find essential in YOUR shop.  What one or two parts do you find you constantly reach for and have to reorder often?  The ones that in a pinch can be a substitution for just about all others in the same family?  Less than ideal, perhaps, but the ones with which you know will work for the prototype at hand.  Surely you have a couple favorites?

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:00:02 pm by mariush »

Offline Thor-Arne

• Supporter
  • tinker - tinker, little noob.....
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:13:23 pm »
It's very difficult to determine what you'll need in the future, I have way to many stocked up.  ::)
Still, some parts is quite obvious.

The ones I use in parenthesis.
- Misc rectifier, schottky and signal diodes.
- Basic regulators (LM317/337, 78xx/79xx)
- General purpose switching transistors for led's/relays/etc. (BC327/337)
- Power transistors (BC139/140, MJE2955/3055, TIP2955/3055)
- Power mosfets (IRF540)
- OpAmps (LM324,TL071/072/074)
- Driver chips (ULN2003)
- Some microcontrollers (ATTINY85/2313, ATMEGA328)

In addition I have quite a few logic ic's, most types of gates, some flip-flops, counters, buffers.

Passives is a completely different matter, loads of resistors and ceramic/polyester caps, some electrolytic. I generally order quite a few more passives than I need to a project so build a stock.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 11:36:20 pm »
Personally, instead of having 10 of a hundred different BJTs, I'd rather have a hundred of 10 basic transistors that I could use to build just about any prototype.

I made up my own selection of discrete SMD semiconductors which solved that problem, at least for me, in the digital domain mainly: http://goo.gl/UUtnQx

Edit to add: it can be quite interesting to look at the chinese marketplaces selling components, like various taobao stores, aliexpress etc, and sort by # of sales, the more generally useful a device is, the more likely it is to have lots of sales.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:39:57 pm by sleemanj »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Frequent Contributor
  • I barely know you!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 12:06:36 am »
Personally, instead of having 10 of a hundred different BJTs, I'd rather have a hundred of 10 basic transistors that I could use to build just about any prototype.

I made up my own selection of discrete SMD semiconductors which solved that problem, at least for me, in the digital domain mainly: http://goo.gl/UUtnQx

Edit to add: it can be quite interesting to look at the chinese marketplaces selling components, like various taobao stores, aliexpress etc, and sort by # of sales, the more generally useful a device is, the more likely it is to have lots of sales.

Thanks.  Nicely organized list, complete with links to datasheets.  Great ideas... I never thought about sorting by sales.  I've never seen that at any of the places I shop.  Really great idea though.

• Frequent Contributor
  • I barely know you!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 12:08:30 am »
Mariush, thanks for the links.  I knew this topic must have come up somewhere.  Just didn't know where to look.  I'd never heard the term "jellybean" before.

• Frequent Contributor
  • I barely know you!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 12:19:30 am »
It's very difficult to determine what you'll need in the future, I have way to many stocked up.  ::)
Still, some parts is quite obvious.

The ones I use in parenthesis.
- Misc rectifier, schottky and signal diodes.
- Basic regulators (LM317/337, 78xx/79xx)
- General purpose switching transistors for led's/relays/etc. (BC327/337)
- Power transistors (BC139/140, MJE2955/3055, TIP2955/3055)
- Power mosfets (IRF540)
- OpAmps (LM324,TL071/072/074)
- Driver chips (ULN2003)
- Some microcontrollers (ATTINY85/2313, ATMEGA328)

In addition I have quite a few logic ic's, most types of gates, some flip-flops, counters, buffers.

Passives is a completely different matter, loads of resistors and ceramic/polyester caps, some electrolytic. I generally order quite a few more passives than I need to a project so build a stock.

Thor-arne, I saw your name and immediately thought of Lilyhammer (Netflix).  I see you're from Norway. 

Anyhoo... I make a distinction between what I was asking for and trying to "determine what you'll need in the future," though I do that too.  You provided a solid answer to what I was looking for.  Just the essentials.  I'm new to electronics and just now beginning to see my own list of favorites forming..

Same mcu's (Atmega 328 and attiny 85)
1N4001, 4007
LM317/LM350

Thank you

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 08:32:34 am »
I've been putting some thought into such a list as well.

When trying to simplify this list as much as possible, it is useful to remember that you can always substitute with a better spec part, but not not the other way around.  Following that principle would you to stock up on just the 1N4007 for example, and ignore the 4001, 4002, etc.

edit: here's the evernote document I've been using to brainstorm this "essential jellybean" list: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s301/sh/ef8aa267-bfb9-455d-839c-e042017e3805/f0d6bbb52e440a6ffffcbfc848916d70
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:34:11 am by cellularmitosis »
LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

Offline zimzom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 09:59:44 am »
As an example students here get a breadboard, a battery clip, a 9v battery, a multimeter (cheap brand), a lucky bag of resistors, lucky bag of caps, some micro switches, a lucky bag of leds, some 7 segment displays, 74xx lucy bag, 555, 741, wire,  lucky bag of pots, and a few transistors. everything else they buy when it comes up in the project. It depends how close you are to a shop that can sell you stuff I guess. I think it depends a lot on where your eventual interests lay. Would suck to invest in an expensive bit of kit only to have it gather dust when you changed your track.

Just get the bare minimum you need, just in time ordering works for people as well as corporations. (within reason... but with test gear I think that's a wise idea)

When you get a strong obi wan type voice telling you that "you really need this luke" then its time to go and order the gadget. You will probably also have a better idea of the minimum specifications you need for the particular task you want to do and will make a better choice rather than trying to make a choice based on a general selection.

Its called Gear-lust in electronic music.

Offline schwarz-brot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 11:26:14 am »
Most basic stuff for general analog playing around:

I built a stock of resistors and caps over all relevant decades with all values of the E6 series. The caps starting in the pico farads with some ceramics, going over foil-types in the nanofarads to beefy elkos up to the low milifarads.
Resistors soon got updated to E12 series. I got, depending on price, quantities between 10 and 100, I order new when I feel the stock goes down quickly and I have to order anyways for specialized stuff.
It got mentioned before - don't buy the cheapest available as you may use a part with better specs instead of a cheaper one but not the other way around (for example: electrolytics - choose low ESR types, Resistors, choose metal-types with low tolerances with at least 1/2W... you get it).
I always have a view simple regulators around: LM78**/79** in 5V, 9V, 12V as these are used very often, and LM317 and LM337 for any other value. Quick and easy to build, so no worries about quick powering a testcircuit.
I also have ordered 100 1n4001s and 1n4148s for general purpose stuff. Cost next to nothing and are used on a regular basis.
I have some ultra cheap NPN- and PNP-transistors and also FETs for general stuff each in quantities of 100. Specs aren't usable for anything fancy but always good enough for throwing them in quickly when needed somewhere.
Some very cheap quad-Opamp-packages for general and basic opamp stuff and a few with better specs for testing, 741s for a start. But there you get into regions where you'll order according to your project when you really need something.

Some 555s are always good and some µCs of your choice.

What else for starting:
- A paket of random LEDs
- A paket of random pots and/or trimpots
- A large box of old PCBs to salvage parts from as needed and to learn from.

Generally, If I order specific parts for a project I always round the quantities of semiconductors to the next decade (need four? Buy ten!). This way you build a stock of parts which you already know how to use very quickly and often the prices per piece go down.

Start early to think of a system to manage your parts. Drawer boxes, zipper bags, whatever you like... But DO IT from the start and stick to that system. Don't start pushing several types of components together in one compartment - upgrade your storage space soon enough to not get into that situation. This way you will manage to avoid chaos and not finding the parts you KNOW you have it but don't know where it is.

Have fun!

• Frequent Contributor
  • I barely know you!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 12:10:55 pm »
@zimzom.   :-DD That did gave me a good chuckle, but I believe the technical term for your words is "crazy-talk."  I just can't imagine working without a basic store.  Where's the fun in it??  Anyway, thank you for that!! 

@everyone else, I should have put more thought into the OP.  While I do intend to build a list from whatever you all suggest, in the back of my mind I was imagining something else.  It's my fault, you're giving me what I asked for.  Maybe some of you will understand what I'm getting at here:  Wouldn't it be more fun, instead of sharing our lists for a well-stocked lab, we all shared our favorite jellybeans.  I doubt "resistors and ceramic disk caps" are anyone's "favorites."  It kinda goes without saying that they are essential.  From the collective list of favorites an interesting list of parts could be derived (and yes, I do mean that in the calculus sense!).  For those of you who've generously shared your list of essentials, would your list of "favs" be the same?  My guess is, "no." 

I see how some of you talk about certain components.  I see Dave talk about the 555 with affection in his voice and I believe, a little glint in his eye.  It's obviously one of his favorites and I'd be shocked if he didn't have at least a dozen on hand at all times.  I have a theory that you'd probably discover that part in half the home electronic labs across the globe.  Given the millions of IC's currently available, I find that intriguing.  I bought some 555's based on Dave's enthusiasm.  I'm still trying to figure out just what the hell they do!!  LOL... But that's the fun in learning.  Right now, I just started playing with some LM2902's.   I bought them months ago.  Just like the 555's, I didn't know what they were for at the time.  Soon, the 555 will find its way to my bench too.

But, don't think the lists you've all provided aren't gold to me.  I'm reading through all you've provided and taking notes (filling my Mouser shopping cart is more like it)!!  Great stuff!

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 02:08:03 pm »
Well, for favourites.

Small SOT-23 mosfets which have low drive voltages, BJTs just don't get as much use as they used to.

555, 324 quad op-amp, 2n2222, 1n400x, ULN2003, L293D - all absolute staples of a well rounded electronics diet.

SOT-223 linear regulators.

Zero ohm resistors!  The don't get anywhere near enough love. Make routing for home-etch friendly boards easier when you can jump a trace or two with a 1206 or 0803 0R resistor.  Not sure if you will need that resistor, drop in a 0R if you don't.  Want to have an easy to solder configuration jumper, yep, use a 0R!

Moving away from discrete devices;

LM2577 SEPIC and LM2596 Buck modules from China, super handy for a multitude of uses, put a few in your hacking drawer, ridiculously cheap. 

The Arduino Pro-Mini, crazy cheap from the usual places - you just can't buy the components for that price, definitely "leave in the project" price, not much bigger than a DIP IC, just slap some headers on your board and plug it in.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Frequent Contributor
  • I barely know you!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 03:00:30 pm »
Excellent!  That's exactly what I was looking for!  :clap:

I thought you were pulling my leg with the 0R resistor.  I thought I'd find it on aisle i3, right between the wire stretcher and the free energy generators.  What a concept though!  You've sold me.

I found it a bit ironic that you dissed BJT's and then include 2n2222 in your list of favs.  When you just can't help yourself?  That IS LOVE! 

BTW... I've got about a third of the ones you mention too.... 555, 2n2222, 1n4001...2...7, L293D, 324's

Thank you

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 03:08:28 pm »
when i get components i only do it for a project but if you get enough at a time you start to build up a good selection of pats, eg: i needed an lm317 for a project some time ago so i orderd 50 of them now have lots and i use them all the time.
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline Clear as mud

• Regular Contributor
    • Pax Electronics
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 03:45:37 pm »
You didn't really mention whether you're looking more for SMD or through-hole components.  I've been working with surface-mount since my girlfriend and I have been trying to develop small useful circuit boards to sell, and the boards can be smaller and prettier with SMT.

Check Nightfire Electronics (www.vakits.com) (United States -based, Florida, I think).  I got over 17,000 resistors of all E24 sizes for $100 last summer (0805 size).  Then later I scored a whole lot of reels of 0603 size off eBay for only $1 per reel, so now I don't use the 0805 ones so much.  Anyway, Nightfire doesn't list manufacturers, but I called them and asked, and they said the resistors are rated for 1/8 watt (standard for 0805 size) and they told me the manufacturer.  I don't remember the name, but it was a company in California.  So, I like that these are supplied by a US-based company.  They also have kits of various SMT transistors, capacitors and other things.

Also, you never know when you might need a zener diode.  I bought a few extras a couple of years ago, and just recently used an 8.2 volt zener when I came across a programming-voltage limitation on some newer PIC microcontrollers.

Small SOT-23 mosfets which have low drive voltages, BJTs just don't get as much use as they used to.

I've been using the 2N7002DW where I need a dual N-channel logic-level mosfet, and I like it.  It's very small, but not so small that you can't see it.  It's got six leads and the entire thing is less than 100 mil in every dimension.  There's a 3-pin single version 2N7002W, but I can't remember if it comes in SOT-23 or not.

• Frequent Contributor
  • I barely know you!
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 05:27:34 pm »
I didn't specify smd or not because it's up to you.  If you like smd and therein lies your favorites, that's cool.  I'm not there yet.  Soon I hope.  Still working with all through hole.  Heck, I haven't even etched my first board yet.  Been using perfboard exclusively.  But, I just recently acquired everything to etch and am looking forward to it.  In the back of my mind, I'm preparing for smd.  When ever I buy parts, I often look at the smd versions.  You can save a lot of money not to mention work drilling holes!  What's not to love about them?  So.... preach on brother! ;D

Offline dentaku

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 01:25:37 am »
For people like me who mostly mess with audio stuff... TL07x opamps, pots of every size you can afford, .1 inch header strips both male and female, jumper wires with square "DuPont" headers that fit perfectly in those header strips and breadboards.
LM13700 OTAs. They're amazingly useful.
I like soldering snap off bits of female header strips to short lengths of ribbon cable connected to pots or barrel jacks so you can connect them directly to breadboards.
A good regulated DC wallwart to replace wasteful batteries.

Lately I've been messing with some old 4000B series stuff I got from an old guy's collection. Counters and multiplexers are fun.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf