Author Topic: Possibilty of operator error  (Read 1021 times)

Offline AardvarkM31Topic starter

• Contributor
Possibilty of operator error
« on: November 26, 2021, 03:17:07 am »
Hello,
   I have recently begun exploring electronics in more depth. I have had an Amprobe AM-530 meter which is seems perfectly functional for all the uses I've had for it previously. Just beginning checking capacitance and the meter seems far off. Unless I am doing something incorrectly. I am testing various type of .047 uF caps and an air gap variable for a crystal radio I intend to build.
The meter shows  around 60.3 nF on the .047 uF. It doesn't change values when I am varying the air gap. I borrowed my old Radio Shack meter back from my Grandson and it measures correct values on the .047 uF capacitors that I've tested.
Downloaded the manual and it shows the probes across the caps leads and the selector on the capacitance position. Then on the side it has a vertical column of 5 boxes, the top shows pressing down on an unidentied button, the second shows the Hold Button and > 2 Seconds, the third box shows the REL Delta button insignia, the fourth Select Button  and the fifth shows the Flashlight button insignia. Something is wrong and I can not decipher this capacitance measuring section.
Help please if I am doing it wrong because I haven't pushed all those buttons or is my meter giving inaccurate readings on capacitance. Been thick before so any assistance  is appreciated

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
Re: Possibilty of operator error
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 02:40:11 pm »
Your air gap capacitor is probably no more than 100 picofarads, maybe 360-400 if broadcast band. That is WAY off from .047uf!!!! Doubt you meter accurately reads picofarads. .063 for a .047 is in the ballpark for tolerance. They used to be something like +50%/-20% years ago new out of the box.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

The following users thanked this post: AardvarkM31

Offline AardvarkM31Topic starter

• Contributor
Re: Possibilty of operator error
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 03:45:11 pm »
Good day CaptDon,
   Thanks for your response. Yes the air gap is a 365 pF. Did not get to test it on the old Radio Shack meter before returning it. The error margin must be large on my Amprobe as the Radio shack indicated the value accurately. Go figure!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf