Author Topic: Load between battery and capacitor  (Read 4777 times)

Offline jacauTopic starter

• Contributor
Load between battery and capacitor
« on: November 19, 2021, 09:52:08 am »
I don't have a specific example for this question but I have read decoupling caps have to be right near the VCC pins on an IC so their placement is easy to understand.

But with the larger capacitors, should power from the battery also be behind them from the perspective of the load?

If a large cap was at the end of the power line with the load in the middle, would that setup be less that ideal?

Thanks

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Load between battery and capacitor
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 12:56:35 pm »
Decoupling capacitor should ideally be as close to the load, as possible. The idea is the voltage drop doesn't drop, as the load draw large current pulses. It's true, larger capacitors are normally a little further away from the load, but they should still be as close as possible.

The following users thanked this post: jacau

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 01:42:02 pm »

Offline Capernicus

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 06:28:47 pm »
The issue with bypass caps,   is they discharge backwards as well as forwards so watch out for that one.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 06:43:03 pm »
The best location for the bulk decoupling capacitors depends on how power distribution is laid out because it may serve as an AC termination.  Usually bulk decoupling capacitors are found at the output of the regulator, where they are also part of the regulator's frequency compensation, and at the power input of each printed circuit board or independent power plane, where they serve as an AC termination.  They are sometimes also found as local decoupling between the power distribution on a circuit board and a specific circuit which is susceptible to or or generates noise.

But with the larger capacitors, should power from the battery also be behind them from the perspective of the load?

Yes.

If a large cap was at the end of the power line with the load in the middle, would that setup be less that ideal?

Yes.

In both cases, the result is extra lead length which adds to the ESR and ESL of the capacitor.  Sometimes you can find circuit layouts where a 4-wire connection is made to the bulk capacitors, as shown below, for exactly this reason.  The original much longer capacitor was wired the same way, and the circuit board has two attachment points for each capacitor lead.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 06:55:21 pm »
The issue with bypass caps,   is they discharge backwards as well as forwards so watch out for that one.
Sorry, but you better explain what you are talking about here.

It usually depends on impedance of the battery versus it's capacity. For example there are applications which require infrequent high current bursts of load - then bulk storage capacitor (or even supercap) is needed, to avoid requirement for hi-current battery. One example would be - low power sensor which is RF- transmitting it's state few times per day.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 07:00:12 pm by ogden »

Offline jacauTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 05:41:14 am »
Great, thanks everyone for the information!

Offline Capernicus

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 08:13:18 am »

In the case of a ac->dc converter,  the smoothing cap will discharge back into the diode bridge.     And more,  if you want to try out more topologies.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 08:15:22 am »

In the case of a ac->dc converter,  the smoothing cap will discharge back into the diode bridge.     And more,  if you want to try out more topologies.
The diode bridge doesn't conduct in the reverse direction, so the smoothing capacitor can't discharge back into it.

Offline Capernicus

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 03:20:26 pm »
If a diode is open, it allows current in both directions as long as the net flow isn't reverse biased.   8)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 03:36:13 pm »
If a diode is open, it allows current in both directions as long as the net flow isn't reverse biased.   8)
Bruh…  :palm:

Offline LaryPant

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 07:20:40 pm »

For any beginner reading this in the future: The quoted statement is completely wrong!

If something is open in electronics then there is by definition no electrical current flow.

It is, however, true that there is current flowing across the p-n junction of an open diode, namely the drift and diffusion currents, which are equal but in opposite direction and the net current is therefore zero. This does NOT mean that electrical current flows through an open diode, but just internal currents which can be explained with semiconductor physics.

In circuit theory an open diode means NO current flow!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 09:22:41 pm »
No. Look at the diodes. They all point upwards and will be reverse biased by any voltage applied to the output.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 09:24:35 pm by Zero999 »

Offline Capernicus

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 01:14:43 pm »
I meant the diode being "closed",  when its passing current.

Here is a Walter Lewin drawing->   (but I added a diode to it.)  - its like a H-bridge, except just with resistors.

The diode has more current going through it downward, because of the resistance, so then it conducts,   but when it conducts itll also allow the reverse current at the same time, so it goes back through the diode as well as forward through.

If the diode was upwards -   then all current will be stopped in the cross-line,  but it will still be blasting through the side channels.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:28:05 pm by Capernicus »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 01:34:25 pm »
I meant the diode being "closed",  when its passing current.

Here is a Walter Lewin drawing->   (but I added a diode to it.)  - its like a H-bridge, except just with resistors.

The diode has more current going through it downward, because of the resistance, so then it conducts,   but when it conducts itll also allow the reverse current at the same time, so it goes back through the diode as well as forward through.

If the diode was upwards -   then all current will be stopped in the cross-line,  but it will still be blasting through the side channels.
That's not a bridge rectifier and does not represent one.

If you charge up a large capacitor and connect it to the output of a bridge rectifier, + to anode and - to cathode, no current will flow, except a tiny leakage.

Look at the schematic I posted above. The cathodes go to the + output and anodes, to the - output, so current can't flow in to the bridge, from the output, using conventional current flow.

Offline Capernicus

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 01:50:34 pm »
Its not supposed to be a bridge rectifier,   but its demonstrating a point that if a diode is forward biased,  then it is open to conduct in both directions, not just forwards.   if its reverse biased, it wont conduct in either direction.

So what I'm meaning is to do with ac->dc conversion -> The "smoothing" capacitor might conduct backwards, if the ac power source has opened for conduction the diode for it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:54:25 pm by Capernicus »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 03:00:34 pm »
Its not supposed to be a bridge rectifier,   but its demonstrating a point that if a diode is forward biased,  then it is open to conduct in both directions, not just forwards.   if its reverse biased, it wont conduct in either direction.
You're contradicting yourself. A diode can't be forward biased and conduct in the opposite direction. If a diode conducts in both directions, then it's broken.

So what I'm meaning is to do with ac->dc conversion -> The "smoothing" capacitor might conduct backwards, if the ac power source has opened for conduction the diode for it.
No, because the diodes will be reverse biased. The smoothing capacitor will not conduct backwards, as you say.  And the last bit "the ac power source has opened for conduction the diode for it." is meaningless.

Offline Capernicus

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 03:32:43 pm »
Take it or leave it,   that's what I believe up till now.

Online fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 04:27:36 pm »
Are you perhaps thinking about a diode biased to pass or block an AC signal?  Such as a PIN diode?  In this case, yes, a signal can flow "backwards" (source and load can be on either side of the diode), but still, the net current flow is forward when the diode is "on", and when the diode is reverse-biased ("off") there is no current or signal flow (ignoring leakage, parasitic capacitance, etc.)
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2021, 05:18:06 pm »
Well you're belief was mistaken. If there's no load on the rectifier, current only flows into the capacitor, as it charges up, then falls to zero.

Offline Capernicus

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 05:28:51 pm »
My belief isnt mistaken,   but yes, it looks like you are correct that it doesnt happen through a diode bridge from the smoothing cap, on my own re-inspection.   I hadn't looked at it that hard before, but it looks like one of the diodes conducts, when the other doesnt,  and that one that isnt conducting stops the cap from self-discharging behind.

But it can happen in different machines than this,  there's always the possibility that a bypass cap is going to charge back down the machine as well as in front.

It comes up when you have a "multi-rail"  when your powering more than one unit off the same battery,  it can happen there too, and can just go straight backwards through the diode, given the specific situation.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 05:54:07 pm by Capernicus »

Online fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2021, 06:00:39 pm »
it can happen there too, and can just go straight backwards through the diode, given the specific situation.

Can you please describe this specific situation?  Something to do with minority carrier lifetime?  Yes, this can allow a small amount of reverse current to *briefly* flow.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline Capernicus

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 06:14:11 pm »
it can happen there too, and can just go straight backwards through the diode, given the specific situation.

Can you please describe this specific situation?  Something to do with minority carrier lifetime?  Yes, this can allow a small amount of reverse current to *briefly* flow.

It can happen on your rail,  negative and positive.    Maybe there is a way to correctly guard a rail with diodes (I havent thought about it enough yet.),  but theres also incorrect ways, which is what I'm talking about.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2021, 06:21:07 pm »
but its demonstrating a point that if a diode is forward biased,  then it is open to conduct in both directions, not just forwards.
Both directions but not forward? How many directions does that leave open?

...  if its reverse biased, it wont conduct in either direction.

The only difference between "forward" and "reverse" -biased is the sign of the applied voltage. So you can simplify the whole mumble jumble by stating that a diode only conducts current in one direction.

Online fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 06:22:57 pm »

It can happen on your rail,  negative and positive.    Maybe there is a way to correctly guard a rail with diodes (I havent thought about it enough yet.),  but theres also incorrect ways, which is what I'm talking about.

Then please describe an incorrect way, where the diode is conducting in the reverse direction.  A "rail" is just another node in a circuit.  Can you be more specific?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf