Author Topic: Look at eBay voltage ref (AD584KH) measured with UT71D and 3478A  (Read 6660 times)

Offline AlessandroAUTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi everyone, I bought this voltage reference from eBay and wanted to share with you some measurements with my UT71D and 3478a. The reference comes with calibration values from an Aglient 34401A recorded on a sticker on the back of the unit.

This is the unit: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/391177355684?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here's the output as measured on my UT71D and 3478a, the table shows the raw values and well as the percentage error. Compared to the reference the UT71D has an average error of 0.07% and the 3478a is about an order better at 0.009%

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Look at eBay voltage ref (AD584KH) measured with UT71D and 3478A
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 01:00:33 pm »
Wow, and that is a 15 ppm class reference voltage "calibrated" with a 34401A.
I had in mind a 3PPM reference voltage calibrated with a 3458A, but I cancelled it, because I deemed it less accurate than I wanted, and I could only organize a single 1000 NPLC measurement (after heat-up) with it. Now I wonder if I should do it after all.
May I asked, why did you buy this reference, and would you consider buying a new one? [/marketing mode]

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 01:13:05 pm »
From your measurements, the UT71D is still within specification. This is assuming that the reference is at the measured value from the seller. I also have two of these references and I think they are great value. I will buy more. They are cheaper than the price of shipping of the references I have from voltagestandard.com for adjustment.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 01:19:27 pm »
I bought one of these a while back. I only wanted it to know that my meters are somewhat within spec. My Keithley 2000 (Last calibration in March 2014) came in at 0.003%, so either it's extremely accurate or the device (or the calibration 34401) is also off :)

I think I paid €16 for it. At that price it's definitely worth it (assuming it is accurate).

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline AlessandroAUTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 11:04:16 am »
I had in mind a 3PPM reference voltage calibrated with a 3458A, but I cancelled it, because I deemed it less accurate than I wanted, and I could only organize a single 1000 NPLC measurement (after heat-up) with it. Now I wonder if I should do it after all.
May I asked, why did you buy this reference, and would you consider buying a new one? [/marketing mode]

I just wanted wanted to confirm that my instruments were somewhat accurate. I'm not sure if I would buy another, do you have a suggestion as to what would be the step up from this reference?

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 01:24:04 pm »

I just wanted wanted to confirm that my instruments were somewhat accurate. I'm not sure if I would buy another, do you have a suggestion as to what would be the step up from this reference?
I've been considering for some time to design a reference voltage board, and sell it in small quantities. I think it could have a tempco of 3ppm, trimmed and calibrated voltage of 10V, calibration with a 3458A. but I always put the project aside. Now I'm wondering if I should do it.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 02:27:56 pm »

i would say, try to make your own LM399 ref? there is so much tech tips from the pros threads inside here. but it will need tons of data gathering from components going to be used. just look at all that data from characterisation of precision resistors (the TC thread?).

in doing so, there is a ton of things to learn, and i think it is worth the journey if time permits
The LM399 is a 2% initial accuracy reference voltage, which is a few PPM stable.
The OP wanted a reference voltage which is calibrated to about 100ppm, while the stability is like 50ppm in normal conditions.
Apples and oranges.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 04:39:46 pm »
A step up would be the references sold at www.voltagestandard.com

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me

Offline kubatyszko

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 01:59:59 am »
This appears a little more accurate, at a slightly higher price, using the AD588

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AD588-High-Precision-Voltage-Reference-Module-Multiple-Output-AD588BQ-1-5-ppm-C-/171826997772?hash=item2801afea0c

Warning about this seller, I did buy one, but it did not come with ANY of the promised readings supplied - I contacted the seller and he had no idea what I was asking for. I negotiated a refund and we parted ways.
If you have some equipment to get actual readings of this unit - it's a good buy, but if you want the readings, go for the one OP has bought (I have one too, came with the readings).

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 11:35:36 am »
Warning about this seller, I did buy one, but it did not come with ANY of the promised readings supplied - I contacted the seller and he had no idea what I was asking for. I negotiated a refund and we parted ways.
If you have some equipment to get actual readings of this unit - it's a good buy, but if you want the readings, go for the one OP has bought (I have one too, came with the readings).
Thanks. Actually, it seems to originally come from here:
http://world.taobao.com/item/43264515923.htm
and the eBay guy is just a reseller. Anyway, I'll get one next time I am in China, and see if it does come with the calibration data promised.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 05:08:26 am »
Quote from: NANDBlog
but I always put the project aside. Now I'm wondering if I should do it.

Likely right thing. I was trying to sell two reference modules (on high-end scale tho, LTZ-based, with proper parts) for a BOM-cost+shipping, managed to sell just only one after few months to one of members here. That's was it for me on selling reference devices.

P.S. I made them for own use/learning mainly, so going to market was never a goal.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf