Author Topic: looking for a good digital multimeter  (Read 38379 times)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: looking for a good digital multimeter
« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2017, 10:18:41 pm »
That is a good choice. You won't be disappointed. Now, what will be your next meter? Sorry, couldn't resist....

Offline carnageTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2017, 10:38:58 pm »
That is a good choice. You won't be disappointed. Now, what will be your next meter? Sorry, couldn't resist....

I already thought about that one, UT61E. This way I'll have a low and higher count meter.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: July 05, 2017, 10:37:03 am »

I already thought about that one, UT61E. This way I'll have a low and higher count meter.
Nice.  :-+

That said, I'd advise getting the U139C next (i.e. 4 DMM's in order to make multiple simultaneous measurements, such as 2x current & 2x voltage).

Just a suggestion.  >:D

Offline Aviator X

• Contributor
« Reply #153 on: July 05, 2017, 12:01:21 pm »
The search for a good digital multimeter has driven me insane. I had to take a step back and realize that at my level, they probably all work fairly well. If I need to upgrade later, then that will give me a second meter. One for the shop, one for the toolbox.

This is the one I'm eyeing right now.  :o

https://www.adafruit.com/product/308

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:46:51 pm by Aviator X »

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: July 05, 2017, 01:05:19 pm »
I had to take a step back and realize that at my level, they probably all work fairly well. If I need to upgrade later, then that will give me a second meter. One for the shop, one for the toolbox.
Hi, NO

There are safe meters and there are lots of cheap meters that are NOT safe. Pick meters that have been stated as safe (in no particular order):
Klein MM600
Amprobe AM500 or AM510
Uni-t UT139C
Fluke 15b+ or Fluke 17B+

The following users thanked this post: Unadan

Offline Aviator X

• Contributor
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2017, 02:52:40 pm »
I had to take a step back and realize that at my level, they probably all work fairly well. If I need to upgrade later, then that will give me a second meter. One for the shop, one for the toolbox.
Hi, NO

There are safe meters and there are lots of cheap meters that are NOT safe. Pick meters that have been stated as safe (in no particular order):

I'll heed your advice. I guess I've read too many sites stating that basic meters are fine. Safety is definitely a must around electronics. Thanks.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2017, 03:16:50 pm »
Well, it is and it isn't. Don't get me wrong; I love my Fluke 87V and Keithley 2015, 197, and 197A, and Keysight U1252B. They are my go-to tools for most situations, and for some, the Fluke and the Keysight are the only ones that should be used.

But my cheapie Mastech and chinese no-name 830L have their uses, too. If I need some meters to monitor another 5V rail, or to quickly verify the value of a resistor because the color bands are ambiguous and the other meters are in use, they're totally fine for that. I'm just not gonna use them for measuring mains (or higher, if I theoretically worked with higher voltages). It's about knowing your tools and their limitations.

For the things an electronics beginner should be starting with -- battery powered low voltage stuff -- I doubt there's any meter on the market that will be dangerous. One just needs to understand that as you move towards more demanding use cases, the tools have to grow with it.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2017, 03:54:22 pm »
The search for a good digital multimeter has driven me insane. I had to take a step back and realize that at my level, they probably all work fairly well. If I need to upgrade later, then that will give me a second meter. One for the shop, one for the toolbox.

This is the one I'm eyeing right now.  :o

https://www.adafruit.com/product/308
Aviator X, a few years ago there were batches and batches of Extech DMMs that in principle were designed OK but in practice had a lot of variation in the production quality - the EX330 was not an exception as mentioned in this thread. Obviously that this may have changed, but I suspect you may have a better offer from another brand.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Aviator X

• Contributor
« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2017, 06:00:13 pm »
tooki and rsjsouza,

Thanks for the guidance. I will use this thread and the ones you linked to continue searching for the right tool. In the mean time, a multimeter in the hand is better than one on the store website.  :-DMM

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2017, 09:51:21 pm »
I don't know how to do link. If you go to google.com and type in ut139c you will see a video title evaluating low cost DVMs part 19b  The Uni-t UT139C - You Tube uploaded by joe smith click on that.

Yes, but remember that joe smith is deliberately stressing meters to the point of failure. In other words he is not being kind to them, he is trying to break them. You should not consider that many meters fail in his hands to be a big negative, that is not the point of his testing.

In joe smith video, when the ut139c blew didn't he said that it blew under the rated spec and wasn't supposed to?
I understand the concept of the video is to push the meter to there limit and to see how far over there rated spec there go before blewing.

Please provide a link or just the time for the comment you are referring to. 

Offline Chris_77

• Contributor
« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2017, 05:01:07 pm »
My name is Justin and new to the forum. I'm here to learn about digital multimeter and proper use of one.

I'm looking for a good, accurate budget multimeter. I am planning on using it for measuring of batteries and around the house. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, Justin!

I'm not sure how important longevity is to you, but I'd rather buy something once, pay a bit more for it, and have it Just WorkTM each time I use it.

Insofar as brands, Dave actually had a good YouTube video on a DMM shootout for under $50. I myself have a Fluke 75 that I bought around either 1995 or 2000, and the other day I found it, turned it on, and it's still working fine. One of the LCD digits is a bit dim, it's not backlit, but it seems to be stomping along perfectly fine. I know that Fluke has a good reputation as a brand, so this might color your decision if you're looking for one to last you through decades of use.

Offline tigr

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2017, 09:00:23 pm »
Fluke115 :-+
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 09:33:16 pm by tigr »

Offline mariustaciuc

• funelectronicstoday
« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2017, 04:19:47 am »
In my opinion, there are pluses and minuses about the multimeter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eXDEUyI8L0=youtu.be

Offline mariustaciuc

• funelectronicstoday
« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2017, 05:36:48 am »
If you are interested in a review and comparison between Fluke and Mastech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eXDEUyI8L0=youtu.be

Offline castironman

• Contributor
  • If I can only take it apart....
« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2017, 11:49:47 am »
As long as you don't mind the very slow auto range...3 secs on my for 12 volts DC even if I use manual range...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf