Author Topic: looking for a scope with frequency readout etc  (Read 1276 times)

Offline m3vuvTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
looking for a scope with frequency readout etc
« on: October 17, 2021, 11:51:55 am »
Hi all,i am after getting sommat like a 100+ bw scope with  readouts like frequency readout and p 2 p values etc,would prefer a tektronix but dont know what models to look for,dont care if its analog or dso,any ideas what to look for,crt is fine,tia m3vuv.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
Re: looking for a scope with frequency readout etc
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 04:29:41 pm »
Most digital scopes include such measurement functions, even entry level units. It's probably hard to find one without them these days.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 04:53:54 pm »
The Rigol DS1054Z certainly has that capability and can be unlocked to 100 MHz.
Any of the Siglent offerings will also do that.  SDS1104X-E would be my choice.  I believe it can be unlocked to 200 MHz - check around.  Otherwise, the SDS1204X-E is a nice 200 MHz scope.

There are LOTS of 'what scope to buy' threads here and over in  Test Equipment.  Maybe 'Search' will help

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 04:58:38 pm by rstofer »

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 05:54:30 pm »
If you are referring to frequency measurement of the same caliber that a dedicated frequency counter would provide, than almost all DSOs fail for lack of precision and accuracy, only providing rudimentary performance.

Ignoring mainframe instruments like the 11k series, the Tektronix oscilloscopes which included built in frequency measurement are the 2247, 2252, and 2236.  They are actually better than most frequency counters since they include gated reciprocal frequency measurement comparable to a high end universal counter.

The Tektronix 2465 series of oscilloscopes also had a frequency counter option but I am not familiar with it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 06:14:50 pm »
I've never seen a DSO that didn't have basic on-screen measurements for things like frequency, peak to peak and RMS voltage, duty cycle, etc. They may have existed but not anything I've ever used. Most analog scopes do not have anything like this, the closest I've seen are cursors that can be manually placed and display the values.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 08:02:57 pm »
It might depend on how how many digits you want displayed and much accuracy you want from the oscilloscope's counter.  (Resolution and accuracy are of course two different things.)

I have a Tektronix 2247A - it is a great analog scope with a counter.  On it's own the counter is not so accurate.  Maybe someone with David Hess' skill could make it more accurate.  But it happens to have an input for a 10 MHz reference signal, so when the ref input is driven by a GPDSO the counter becomes reasonably accurate (roughly 1 Hz on 100 MHz).  My 2467B also has a counter (not super accurate either) but no 10 MHz ref input.  (Again to be fair, like the 2247A the 2267B is old and maybe it could do better with a tune up).  On my 2000 series Rigol (which has no ref input) the counter is nothing to write home about for high frequencies (for 10 MHz it shows 10.0000 MHz - not a lot of digits displayed).  On the other hand with a signal of 10,000.1 Hz the Rigol shows 10.000.1 kHz.  Net, net:  I think unless you have a pretty good scope there are better ways to get accurate frequency counting, but if you don't want a lot of resolution and/or just want to be in the ball park it should be an easy to find feature on a lot of scopes.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 08:52:05 pm »
In re-reading the original post it looks like the OP wants statistics (numerical measurements), not just frequency counting.  On analog Tektronix scopes the models David Hess listed would be the likely candidates.  On almost any recent digital scope there will likely be many statistics and related (cursor) measuring features.  Just depends on the specific requirements.

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 09:27:01 pm »
My Agilent 54810 digital scope has more functions than I can use, but I am using more and more each day. The freq counter is pretty good but limited by the poor little frequency reference in the scope. There is no input for a better freq standard either. Maybe I will look at the boards and see if there is an easy way to install an input for a 10 MHz freq standard.
Just some things to think about.

Any freq readout is only as good as the standard it uses.

Wally

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 11:29:32 pm »
almost all oscilloscope has such feature, except very old analog tube oscilloscope.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 12:23:53 am »
The frequency counter spec for the DS1054Z:

Frequency Accuracy
  100 ppm (lower than 10 kHz)
    50 ppm (higher than 10 kHz)

Page 7  https://assets.testequity.com/te1/Documents/pdf/rigol/Rigol-DS1054Z-Specification.pdf

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 04:02:12 am »
almost all oscilloscope has such feature, except very old analog tube oscilloscope.

Many old analog Oscilloscopes go one better, as they make the vertical output available to feed to a real frequency counter!

The following users thanked this post: Wallace Gasiewicz

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 09:27:48 pm »
I have a Tektronix 2247A - it is a great analog scope with a counter.  On it's own the counter is not so accurate.  Maybe someone with David Hess' skill could make it more accurate.  But it happens to have an input for a 10 MHz reference signal, so when the ref input is driven by a GPDSO the counter becomes reasonably accurate (roughly 1 Hz on 100 MHz).

The built in frequency reference Tektronix used was not very good, but an external reference can be used which greatly improves the accuracy.  Or I know of at least one person who installed a much better TCXO or OCXO reference.

My 2467B also has a counter (not super accurate either) but no 10 MHz ref input.

The 2467B series all include a very basic and low performance built in counter, but also had an optional high performance counter more like the 2247A.

Many old analog Oscilloscopes go one better, as they make the vertical output available to feed to a real frequency counter!

That is essentially what Tektronix did with their 2247A and 2236 series, except they included a reciprocal universal counter with an input from a trigger channel, and tied the counter's arm input to the B timebase so gated measurements can also be made.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 09:31:41 pm by David Hess »

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 09:45:44 pm »
Based on the OP's verbatim statement that:
i am after getting sommat like a 100+ bw scope with  readouts like frequency readout and p 2 p values etc
...my interpretation is that the measurement features of even the entry level DSO's will more than suffice for their purposes. Can you get more accuracy or resolution with other instruments? Absolutely. But something about the way that question is phrased makes me think an entry level DSO will get his job done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf