Author Topic: Looking for cheap yet reliable socket and connector for 50 high current signals  (Read 1664 times)

Offline sean87Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • EE WannaBee
    • EMBEDONIX
I am working on a simple project that requires some high-current signals to be passed between 2 PCB's in a 1-meter distance. There are in total 50 signal wires in 2 channels (channel A is 26 wire, channel B is 24 wires). There are about 50 signal wires to be connected between these boards. I have already purchased the wires, and they are AWG18 or 16...or should I say a tad bit thicker than your normal jumper wire, to make sure the 1A current would not be a problem in long run.

THE PROBLEM
I can not figure out what would be the best through-hole socket and its matching connector for this job. It should have the following properties:
- Minimum 1A rated
- It should have locking mechanism
- The matching connector should allow easy installation of AWG18 wires

WHAT SO FAR?
I am thinking about 3x20 pin ATX power supply connector and socket, just like what you find on a PC motherboard:

Unfortunately, I could not find this item on digi-key or Farnell :( maybe you can helo me to find it on those websites?

Furthermore, I really would like to know if you might have a better idea, please let me know the name/picture or item id of the socket and matching connector that you think would do better than that ATX PSU connector!

Thanks!
EMBEDONIX - Embedded Systems, Linux and good stuff!

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
If all you need is 1A per pin, just use normal 2.54mm headers.

If you want something more substantial, I quite like the Micro-Fit connectors: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/0430452412/WM4716-ND/531416
Available from 2-24 pins per connector.

If you want ATX-style connectors, try this search.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf