Author Topic: Looking for electronics-PCB training  (Read 2196 times)

Offline ZotDitzMyoTopic starter

• Momentum Zero
Looking for electronics-PCB training
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:46:38 am »
I come from a software background and have a HUGE interest in electronics.

I completed my first professional embedded project to date (pfft, Arduinos!) and did a bit of component selection, circuit design and soldering. What I am missing in the chain is the PCB layout (that is not to say that I am extremely proficient in other areas!).

Since this is all in a work environment, and we have credits for training, I am looking for training in at least PCB layout (theory + tools) and maybe some more circuit design stuff. It's not as easy to locate companies offering training in these areas as it is for software development. Would anyone have any recommendations at all? Especially if located in the Northeast American continent. In my context, I would need a "recognized" training facility/consultant with fees and everything...

I am not sure which EDA package is used in-house but am pretty confident it's not Eagle, Altium or the likes...

What would be neat is to try one of the Cadsoft Training partners, a certain David L. Jones somewhere in Australia, but it's not all that practical :-)

Thank you!

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for electronics-PCB training
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:10:44 pm »
PCB layout is something of a more slowly learned skill in my opinion.

You need to know how to "drive" the CAD software effectively of course, but a big factor is the knowledge of where to place the parts and how to to route them.

I look back at my really early designs and can see a huge difference to my latest ones.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Looking for electronics-PCB training
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:13:26 pm »
IPC training is the way to go. they deliver official certificates too. If the company is willing to shell out for it , go for it !
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf