Author Topic: Magnifying lamp (glass) for solder work 3D or 5D ?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline beatman

• Regular Contributor
Re: Magnifying lamp (glass) for solder work 3D or 5D ?
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2023, 04:32:14 am »

The following users thanked this post: VSV_electron

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2023, 07:07:50 am »
This is cheap and works excellent for me, even with reading glasses:

https://www.newark.com/modelcraft/pop1763/headband-magnifier-w-4-lense/dp/69AC6364

In addition, I added (distributed) lighting above my workbench and I measure 1000 Lux on the surface of my desk
(measured after sunset ofcourse). This helps a lot.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 07:10:27 am by Karel »

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2023, 07:55:51 am »
This untrained eye could not see any lag in the video made by the HDMI video/digital microscope enthusiast, at least from what I suppose can be resolved by the 30 frames per second camera that took the video of the microscope's video. I suspect the lag people suffer, is from trying to send video over USB – which has always been a challenge.

Should having fun with the equipment be a consideration? I am periodically amazed by the details, the existence, of things I did not even know were there because of the hyper-stereoscopic magnification you get out of a stereo microscope.

-John

Offline VSV_electronTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2023, 01:30:27 pm »
I've read some reviews of these headband wearable magnifiers and know that even at the smallest magnification which is 1.5x one's nose has to be close to the iron tip. Well, not quite but at 1.5x it's around 20 cm which I wouldn't call comfortable when soldering. Working at higher mags is really questionable since the working distance reduces down to 3 cm at the highest mag.

This is cheap and works excellent for me, even with reading glasses:

https://www.newark.com/modelcraft/pop1763/headband-magnifier-w-4-lense/dp/69AC6364

In addition, I added (distributed) lighting above my workbench and I measure 1000 Lux on the surface of my desk
(measured after sunset ofcourse). This helps a lot.

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2023, 02:14:23 pm »
I do not find the situation is quite that bad. I think the 2·5X binocular, simple lens flip up headband I have is fairly comfortable for through hole and large component SMD work, using both solder and (taller) hot air tools. I just checked its working distance by reading the fine print on a potato soup can: 40 cm, a meter divided by 2·5.

Much above that and I start a bending and a dodging.
-John

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2023, 02:27:08 pm »
You might use something like this if you need both working distance and telescopic magnification. These have become popular with dentists and are a big help. Zeiss probably still makes the best but they charge accordingly. I consider getting a pair but for that money, I could get a couple, very nice microscopes.

For root canal work, you really want a dentist that uses a surgical stereo microscope.
-John

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2023, 03:05:43 pm »
I can't resist.  I knew a surgeon who practiced in the 1940's to early 1950's.  He used the magnifier shown in the attachment.  They give a decent working distance but are not particularly comfortable.  I doubt you could touch anything made by Zeiss to do what you want that will be in your price range. 

Offline justaskin

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2023, 01:11:59 am »
"I use head-worn magnifiers, like glasses.  These are cheap, fairly light weight if you get the right ones, have three LED brightness levels (or off), and come with a whole box full of interchangeable lenses.  I like 'em. I use them for things other than soldering; the problem is my eyes, which I leave installed all the time.

I also keep a 4x or 5x loupe handy, always.  One of my single most-used tools, after the bench and chair."

That's been my setup for a while.....but if one already wears prescription glasses, it's awkward to move between the magnifiers and regular specs.....

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2023, 05:48:42 am »
I did not read the whole thread and perhaps this is already a done thing, but for what it is worth:

My eyes are not what they used to be and I do have a prescription from my eye doctor. I do not actually get it filled. Instead I go to the local drug (pharmacy) stores or places like WalMart where they have readers. I buy readers for my actual prescription power and also different values around that number. I can try the readers on in the store and see what distance they work best for. The cost of readers is nominal when compared to prescription eyeglasses so I can afford many pairs. I leave them around the house and in my vehicles with the powers that work best for different uses at those various locations. I even have a pair of DIY bi-focals that I am wearing now with lenses for up close and computer screen (intermediate) distance. None of the local optical shops would make them the way I did.

What I am suggesting is that you can look in your local stores for readers and try them on. See what power works best for you at what you consider a comfortable working distance. You may even want to buy a pair or two to take home and try at your workbench. That way you can know before you order that viewing system you are talking about.

I also have several visor style magnifiers with the dual power, flip up-down main lenses and an additional swivel magnifier for the right eye. I have multiple workbenches and have one at each. And then there are pocket magnifiers. I like the Hastings triplets and have three in my pocket at all times: 10X, 15X, and 20X. They have been invaluable during my professional career. Part of my point is, there is not one single magnification factor that is best for all purposes. Each of those different powers also has a different field of view and that can be important as well.

PS: My eye doctor may not love my system, but she has not given me any reason to doubt that it is sound. Optical shops charge far, far too much for prescription eyeglasses.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 05:56:07 am by EPAIII »
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2023, 06:09:33 am »
When I was looking for a solution to the same problem, I did not want to use anything mounted on my head. So I decided on a 2.3x (5 diopter) magnifying glass lamp. This is enough for me to work on the smallest things I can also handle. The most important for me was to find one with the highest possible working distance, and it decreases with magnification ratio. I also have a stereo microscope which I dont use for electronics, but after around 2-3x it seems to me a microscope is the best way to go.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2023, 03:30:50 pm »
i too am still looking  :o to see what's on ee's benches - but didn't find a link to Fran's magnifier

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2023, 08:41:44 pm »
This style of thing has worked for me down to SOIC and 0603 sizes:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifying-Magnifier-Brightness-Dimmable-Adjustable/dp/B09FG2X9L7/
You can have your nose right against it on the top side and have a board below ad still be at a comfortable focus if you really need to get that close.

I couldn't imagine being comfortable with any sort of head mounted magnifier.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf