Author Topic: Magsafe-1 with USB-C  (Read 197 times)

Offline ···Topic starter

Magsafe-1 with USB-C
« on: March 27, 2024, 10:24:25 am »
I have a Macbook Pro from 2011 that is in a top condition. Now the charging cable has worn out at the end, where it's connected to the adapter so I have cut it.
I've done some research to check whether it is possible to attach a USB-C cable at that end.

In a Youtube video (/watch?v=L_n5nSvHpdY) someone proves that it works. But he does it with a USB-C female.

From my point of view this should work with a male USB-C male as well. So I took an inferior (USB-C-USB-A) cable that is supplied with some electronic devices and is only intended for charging. I cut it and soldered it. I connected the red wire to the center of the Magsafe. The black wire to the surounding net. Just like the guy in the video does. Both wires are insulated. Then I connected it with a 96W Apple USB-C adapter. Nothing. I turned the usb-c but still nothing happened.

Now I don't know whether the wires of the inferior USB-C cable are too thin or whether the protocol used by Apple to determine the power cannot be done with the inferior cable.

I came across a shop that sells these cables:
https://www.conrad.ch/de/p/usb-c-3-1-stecker-mit-offenem-kabelende-usb-c-3-1-tc-2509033-tru-components-inhalt-1-st-1587137.html

Now before I buy this and give it a try, maybe someone can tell me that it won't work anyway, or something I'm not taking into consideration.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 06:09:32 pm by ··· »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf