Author Topic: LED is not ESD protected..do we need to add anti-parallel diode?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
LED is not ESD protected..do we need to add anti-parallel diode?
« on: November 09, 2017, 06:25:58 am »
Hello,
We are using 100 of these LEDs on our LED PCB....  :phew:

Wicop2 Z8 Y19 LED
http://acrich.tw/_upload/Goods_Spec/Specification_Z8Y19_Rev5.2.pdf

Do you think we need to add a diode in anti-parallel with each LED on the MCPCB? This will then protect us against ESD damage to the LEDs?   :-//
 8)

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: LED is not ESD protected..do we need to add anti-parallel diode?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:14:47 am »
I don't think you'll need them, given your finished product is encapsulated in a way that prevents ESD events from striking the PCB where the LEDs are mounted. Internal protection is handy for ESD protection at production time - which shouldn't happen if you know what you do. An external diode won't protect you then.

BTW. For all the support you ask for here, you'll have to send one of your finished products to Dave (or me) ;)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:18:06 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: ocset

Offline Ghydda

• Regular Contributor
Re: LED is not ESD protected..do we need to add anti-parallel diode?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 11:51:09 pm »
I don't think you'll need them, given your finished product is encapsulated in a way that prevents ESD events from striking the PCB where the LEDs are mounted. Internal protection is handy for ESD protection at production time - which shouldn't happen if you know what you do. An external diode won't protect you then.

BTW. For all the support you ask for here, you'll have to send one of your finished products to Dave (or me) ;)
I offer a different opinion. LEDs are very susceptible to damage even from very small discharges.
We never ever use LEDs without embedded esd-protection for lighting applications in our production.

Cheers!

If we learn from our mistakes then I reckon I'm getting a great education!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf