Author Topic: mcu price !!!  (Read 9288 times)

Offline 5282Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
mcu price !!!
« on: October 11, 2016, 06:28:39 pm »
st and nxp and atmel make cortex-m4 and cortex-m7 microcontroller
price >6$
and at this price i can buy cortex-a8 1ghz + sdram  chips
why they manufacturing cortex-m4 and cortex-m7 at this price and i can buy high performance cortex-a8 1ghz cpu at same price ????

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: mcu price !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 06:45:20 pm »
why they manufacturing cortex-m4 and cortex-m7 at this price and i can buy high performance cortex-a8 1ghz cpu at same price ????
Because you will also need PMIC for A8 and at least 8-layer board, which are expensive. You will also get higher power consumption, which is not going to work for a lot of systems.
My RSS reader is blocked by the forum, so I won't be actively reading it. If you need to reach me, use email.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 06:58:43 pm »
Finally, buying from NXP you know it is made with a constant high quality factor. Buying a chip from a fabless does not guarantee as they cannot control fab process themselves.
The fact someone has own fabs does not mean their chips are built there. Especially if those chips have small feature size. IMO their cortex M chips are built at either Globalfoundries or TSMC.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:03:34 pm by wraper »

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 07:04:05 pm »
Also,  what is the source for your pricing? I assume you are looking at some random A8 chip on alibaba and comparing it to DigiKey single quantity pricing?

That's not how you price a real product.
My RSS reader is blocked by the forum, so I won't be actively reading it. If you need to reach me, use email.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 07:11:05 pm »
You can get Allwinner H3 boards for 8$ in singles, it is indeed getting a bit silly.

It's a shame there are no RTDM drivers (for the realtime co-kernel for Xenomai Linux). It would be an excellent alternative to the more powerful microcontrollers for hobbyists.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 07:29:32 pm »
In fact, NXP-Freescale states that 28nm SOI will be the last simple node (probably they mean 2D gate structure?)

Probably the lithography (ie. dual patterning is no longer enough). FD-SOI can scale down below 28nm while staying planar.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 07:42:46 pm »
The fact someone has own fabs does not mean their chips are built there. Especially if those chips have small feature size. IMO their cortex M chips are built at either Globalfoundries or TSMC.

You are right. Freescale makes all their MCUs in house, but NXP makes their MCUs off site, usually TSMC. However, NXP-Freescale is moving to in house 28nm SOI for their all new MCU products, including LPC product line, starting from i.MX7.
In fact, NXP-Freescale states that 28nm SOI will be the last simple node (probably they mean 2D gate structure?), and therefore will be extremely long lasting and low cost, just like 0.25um/0.35um process does in analog IC world.
What makes you think that NXP-Freescale have an in house 28nm SOI process? I thought they used the STM process, running in a foundry.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 07:48:39 pm »
price >6$
Very few Cortex-M4 or M7 devices sell for more than about $3 in quantity, and they need to have lots of stuff on the chip to be that expensive. Most are below $2 and many below $1.

Things can look skewed to the casual observer, as no MCU supplier publishes serious (i.e. high volume) prices, and all people see is inflated small volume prices at DigiKey and their ilk. The Cortex-A series market has created a different dynamic, where small quantities are available for a relatively small multiplier over the high volume price.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 07:55:46 pm »
You can get Allwinner H3 boards for 8$ in singles, it is indeed getting a bit silly.
Can you get it for the next 5-10 years?

more powerful microcontrollers for hobbyists.
Why do you care about the price this much as a hobbyist?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:24:02 pm by ataradov »

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 08:14:07 pm »
I know linux, being able to ssh into a familiar environment is nice. Alas, the Pi's of the world are very far removed from real time.

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 11:47:34 pm »
price >6$

Why would someone make cats if there are cheaper dogs?  :P

Other than that, µC and µP are different type of beasts, for different purposes, price and computational power aren't the only two factors, as mentioned power consumption, connectivity, ease of use, are other factors to consider. You may find and M3 or M4 under the seat of your car just to adjust the position, it has the required peripherals in the chip, probably could be done with an M0 but for some reason they found M4 a better option, for example already used 40 times in the same car but the M0 won't cut most of those applications.

JS
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Offline 5282Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 03:55:45 pm »
Because you will also need PMIC for A8 and at least 8-layer board, which are expensive. You will also get higher power consumption, which is not going to work for a lot of systems.

LQFP-176 a13 cortex-a8 1ghz cpu can be routed in 2layer diy pcb at very low cost

a13+pmic+sdram+nandflash cost will be under 6$  in 5pc minimum quantity
but cortex-m4 will cost 6$  in 5pc minimum quantity

quad core cortex-a7 development board will cost 10$ at 1pc
cortex-m4 development board will cost 15$ at 1pc

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:00:52 pm by 5282 »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 03:58:01 pm »
LQFP-176 a13 cortex-a8 1ghz cpu can be routed in 2layer diy pcb
a13+pmic+sdram cost will be under 6$  in 5pc minimum quantity
but cortex-m4 will cost 6$  in 5pc minimum quantity

And how in the hell do you expect to connect DDR3 on a 2-layer PCB?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 04:37:30 pm »
LQFP-176 a13 cortex-a8 1ghz cpu can be routed in 2layer diy pcb at very low cost
No, it can not.

Also, what chip are we talking about?

Show us the source of your pricing information.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:40:38 pm by ataradov »

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 06:22:05 pm »
The lowest I have seen was an iMX233 in a 4 layer 5x5cm pcb, and that is already bottom of the barrel..

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 06:33:01 pm »
[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191609481635?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true[/url]

Ok, that's  $4.99 + $3.00 Shipping == $7.99. Plus some sketchy ebay sale that can go away tomorrow. EDIT: this seller combines shipping, so if you buy more than one, you save some money. But even at $5, it is barely competitive with MCUs.

What about flash, RAM and PMIC?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:35:34 pm by ataradov »

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 06:49:57 pm »
usually sourced from rejected A-brand chips
Ok, so what you are saying is that you can potentially assemble something from trash, that costs the same as Cortex-M7 MCU from DigiKey. If you want to do that - go ahead, but count me out.

The following users thanked this post: JS

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 08:38:06 pm »
And how in the hell do you expect to connect DDR3 on a 2-layer PCB?

It's only 16 bit DDR3, which is considerably easier than 32 bit ones, plus they have ODT compared to older DDR revisions.

Sure, it's only a 96-ball BGA. Totally do that with a pillar drill and some rivets.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 08:47:10 pm »
forget BGA and 2 layer boards... with 2 layers you can either fan-out the signals or provide power with decoupling but not both at the same time :D

Online Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 07:25:36 am »
price >6$
Cheapest Active A7 I can find in digikey is 5$ per 1k. Excluding memory. (MCIMX6G)
Cheapest M4 I can find is 2.5$ per 1k. (LPC54101) Which has internal memories.

They're both BGA, since that second best package in terms of pricing. (chip scale being the best, basically bga without epoxy)

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 09:46:56 pm »
usually sourced from rejected A-brand chips
Ok, so what you are saying is that you can potentially assemble something from trash, that costs the same as Cortex-M7 MCU from DigiKey. If you want to do that - go ahead, but count me out.

That! Are we seriously discussing this?

JS
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 07:41:52 am »
When there is demand for something it would be stupid not to sell at the highest price possible! So it's the demand for these Cortex M3-M7 devices that would determine their higher prices. and if you yourself had the silicon fab you would try your best to sell them as high as possible.  >:D
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 07:55:35 am »
Fully loaded board 20 bucks

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 07:57:31 am »
Then there is the support, if you look at the higher frequency higher powered arm cores you see there are NDA's non existing datasheets/ref manuals for anyone else.
Those chips are for mass producers that take quantities around 100's of k's per year and they get their own product manager/ service engineer contact to help develop the products.
If you are a small company/ single person that wants freely available datasheets/ref manuals then you have little choice.
Still I think the pricing quoted is not representative for the real world prices you pay when negotiating. The truth can not (always) be googled.  ;)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 11:40:38 am »
ARM M3, Wifi + antenna, 512K Ram, 1M Flash,  $2.7 shipped in quantity of 10.

https://www.pine64.org/?product=padi-iot-stamp

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf