Author Topic: Measuring Transformer Leakage Inductance  (Read 157 times)

Offline killingtimeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Measuring Transformer Leakage Inductance
« on: January 11, 2024, 04:49:48 pm »
Hi,

I'm looking to measure the parameters below on a line frequency isolation (1:1) transformer. Schematic attached.

1) The capacitance between pri & sec windings (C).
2) The leakage inductance on both primary and secondary windings (LeakPri & LeakSec).

I only have an LCR meter. No transformer specific tools.

For 1) I use a capacitance meter between A and C, leaving all other connections open?
I'll be using an LCR meter and lowest frequency it will go to is 100Hz, not 50Hz. Would this make a big difference? I think the core is silicon steel.

For 2) I could short the secondary (C & D) and then measure the inductance across the primary (A & B) using an LCR meter. The short on the secondary will be transferred to the primary effectively shorting the primary out leaving only the leakage inductance. The issue is there's leakage inductance on the secondary as well, so this will be transferred over. As it's an isolation transformer (1:1 winding ratio) that means the inductance reading I'll get will be the sum of both the leakage inductance of the primary and secondary. It will not possible to isolate the pri & sec leakage inductance using this method.

Can anyone see a problem with the above methods?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 02:14:32 pm by killingtime »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf