Author Topic: Modern oscilloscope views: YT, XY but where is XYZ ?  (Read 11704 times)

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Modern oscilloscope views: YT, XY but where is XYZ ?
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2019, 02:53:33 pm »
Hello to all,

Stupid question, years ago I had an old analog oscilloscope, it had not only 2 usual modes "Y versus Time" and "Y versus X", but also had Z input, where I can put any signal to change electron beam intensity and thus vary trace brightness.

As a result I could for example make an simple analog TV from oscilloscope, putting AV signal to Z input and horizontal + vertical raster signals to usual 2 X Y channels.

Nowadays I see no modern 4 channel oscilloscope with this feature.  :-// Oscilloscope makers could for example make a feature, to put 1 and 2 channel to X and Y, then 3rd channel to brightness, (and 4th channel to color of the trace). May be there's no practical engineering application, but this could be a big fun to play with.
Z modulation would require another sampler running at the same time storing an 'intensity byte' per sample. you just doubled your memory requirements and probably did a lot worse when it comes to the processing required for visualisation.

These kind of shenanigans are useless for real applications. if you need this kind of stuff : sample Z with one of the channels ,dump the trace data and send it though some software on the computer.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 04:35:44 pm »

Z modulation would require another sampler running at the same time storing an 'intensity byte' per sample. you just doubled your memory requirements and probably did a lot worse when it comes to the processing required for visualisation.

But a 4-channel scope will already have this.
I suspect Z-mod inputs were common in the analogue days simply because theye were very easy to implement. Can't say I've ever found a use  for it, though it does allow for some fun playing around
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline atmfjstc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 07:14:13 pm »
This gets me thinking... if all you have is a XY display, and you're satisfied with isometric instead of true 3D, one could rig up a resistor network to the inputs to project XYZ to XY. The equations are linear, something like:

X' = aX -bY
Y' = aX +bY + cZ

(I forget the exact coefficients)

Offline Ivan7enychTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • My astronomy projects
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 10:05:50 pm »
These kind of shenanigans are useless for real applications. if you need this kind of stuff : sample Z with one of the channels ,dump the trace data and send it though some software on the computer.

Here is an example of real application.

First picture -
X Y - current probes on stepper motor coils

On second picture I put step pulse from controller to Z input
This highlights each microstep and hides all transitions.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:08:17 pm by Ivan7enych »

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2019, 11:14:22 pm »
your memory requirements and probably did a lot worse when it comes to the processing required for visualisation.

Fine for static data - Matlab and many other plotting libraries are commonly used for this sort of visualisation. But it's much rarer to do live visualisation in plotting software. The nearest thing to a common computer-based live display is probably chart recorder emulation, though I think I've seen something more like a 3D plot in audio analysis.

It emphasises once again that test equipment shouldn't be closed, single-task stuff. It should be acquisition hardware with a user-programmable UI.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:16:33 pm by artag »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf