Author Topic: mosfet gate driver  (Read 1992 times)

Offline alireza7Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
mosfet gate driver
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:56:19 pm »
hi
as you know gate of mosfets approximately source/sink zero current and it seems very easy to drive, so why these special mosfet gate driver ics exists ?
what is the advantages of using a mosfet gate driver ic?
is it crucial to use a mosfet gate driver ic instead of simply drive the gate by a microcontroller i/o?

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: mosfet gate driver
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:16:13 pm »
Power MOSFETs have very high gate resistance, yes, but also quite high gate capacitance (in the nF range). If you want to turn them on or off quickly, you need a driver that can handle this.
If you just want to turn on a lamp, the I/O pin from an MCU is fine for gate drive.

The following users thanked this post: alireza7

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 08:40:20 pm »
Based on your circuit, you may also need the gate driver to boost voltage.   The most common example of that is when you are using an N-channel mosfet to source current to a load (i.e., the load is connected to ground and the mosfet source is connected to the load).  In that case, you need to boost the gate voltage to greater than the supply voltage.

The following users thanked this post: alireza7

Offline alireza7Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 09:19:00 pm »
Based on your circuit, you may also need the gate driver to boost voltage.   The most common example of that is when you are using an N-channel mosfet to source current to a load (i.e., the load is connected to ground and the mosfet source is connected to the load).  In that case, you need to boost the gate voltage to greater than the supply voltage.

i saw this topology and i always wondering why don't they just use a p channel mosfet in this case ( when  one side of  the load is connected to ground and mosfet connects the other side to vcc)
It wouldn't be better to use a p channel mosfet in this case ? is there an special reason that i don't know for using this topology?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:35:55 pm by alireza7 »

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 12:36:08 am »
Most Mosfets need at least 10V from gate to source to fully turn on. The 5V from a microcontroller will barely turn on most ordinary Mosfets.
To drive a Mosfet with a 5V microcontroller then use a "logic level" mosfet.

Offline DutchGert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:49:12 am »

i saw this topology and i always wondering why don't they just use a p channel mosfet in this case ( when  one side of  the load is connected to ground and mosfet connects the other side to vcc)
It wouldn't be better to use a p channel mosfet in this case ? is there an special reason that i don't know for using this topology?

Yes, the special reason is the theoretical MOSFET vs the reallife MOSFET :).

Reallife PFETS are harder to produce than there NFET counterparts so there are lees types to choose from, they have a higher price and there NFET counterparts are better specced.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 09:12:18 am »
Because sometimes you need to switch on and off that MOSFET at 100KHz. And the rise and fall time has to be as small as possible, because that will lead to losses. So you need to charge the gate as fast as possible, to some 6-12V. A small FET has a gate resistance of some 10 Ohm. If you connect 10V through a 10 Ohm resistor into a capacitor, you get 1A peak for a short time. And that is why you need a FET driver.

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 09:19:58 am »
Regarding MOSFETs and, particularly, their Gate drive quirks, here you are!

-George
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:49:35 pm »
Reallife PFETS are harder to produce than there NFET counterparts so there are lees types to choose from, they have a higher price and there NFET counterparts are better specced.
It has to do with charge carrier mobility in the channel. Electrons (charge carriers of N-channel FETs) have triple the mobility of holes (charge carriers of P-channel FETs) in crystalline silicon.

Making a P-ch FET that conducts as well as its N-ch counterpart would mean making it tree times as wide, with all the negative side effects (higher parasitic capacitance and thus reduced speed).
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf