Author Topic: Motorcycle Remote-Start Trigger Too Short  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Odin VexTopic starter

Motorcycle Remote-Start Trigger Too Short
« on: November 28, 2021, 04:59:56 am »
I've got an issue with a product that has a rather silly limitation:

It's a motorcycle alarm kit that has a remote-start feature in it, but the remote-start trigger only activates for 0.7s. Yes, 0.7s, as if that's long enough to turn over some motorcycles. Trouble is, the manufacturer has not made this parameter adjustable. Motorcycles don't have the biggest batteries and if you're limited to short runs and low-driving time with something like 4Ah being drained of about 20mA/s constantly for an alarm, you need every bit of power you can hold onto. So I'm trying to come up with a circuit that uses no power at all until it is triggered, then keeps itself turned on for 5 seconds (maximum specification by manufacturer for starting time), then turns itself off.

Worst-case scenario, I'd get a 12V DC triggered relay powered continuously by the CDI, but I'd prefer a more automotive 'drop and replace' solution. I was hoping there was something similar to a 4 or 5-pin JD1912/JD1914 that would turn on from trigger  (12V+), then quickly rob enough current to power itself for a set amount of time (adjustable or fixed at 5s, not picky). Any thoughts?

I've attached a Black and White schematic and a horribly colored schematic for what I think will work with the extra relay and delay module.

Side notes:

I left some things out relating to the Aftermarket CDI, stock CDI/ECM, and Alarm, only the relevant stuff was included.

I wanted the power to come from the Green/Yellow line because it is only closed to Ground when the Brakes or Brake-Lock is on. I won't want to Remote Start without that on, ever.
I also wanted the Kill Switch to *always* have final say, a safety issue. I don't want a bum-pressed Remote-Start taking my fingers off while working on the backend.
Some of you might notice the whole “Aftermarket CDI” bit. I want my Kill Switch to work for that too. Most aftermarkets just hook up to a live side and consume power when the key is on, even when the vehicle isn't running. I wanted it to run only when expected to, not to mention a quick-disconnect there too. Powering by relay also eliminates the load from the stock harness (fused). This also allows the Remote Start to with Aftermarket CDI (it man-in-the-middles the ignition elsewhere).

*Edit* Removed attachments, re-thinking the kill-switch circuitry (considering placing the gray ahead of the kill-switch and pink+brown after the ECM on the red line).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 05:39:35 pm by Odin Vex »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf