Author Topic: 3v3 to 5v level converter alternative to TXS0108EPW  (Read 514 times)

Offline castingflameTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
3v3 to 5v level converter alternative to TXS0108EPW
« on: June 22, 2020, 03:24:31 pm »
I have a requirement for 5v to 3v3 bidirectional level conversion in my project for various buses and lines.

I have 7 lines in total at the moment, which include 6 lines from a 5v MCU that consist of i2c: SDA SCL, Serial: TXD RXD,  Software Serial: TXD RXD and an I/O line.

I initially started using the standard MOSFET approach which works fine but as soon as I got to 4 lines I knew it was time to replace them with an IC due to part count, complexity, build time, error reduction etc etc.

I am currently using a DIL breakout board with a TXS0108EPW which provided 8 lines of level conversion.

DATASHEET https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/txs0108e.pdf?ts=1592838304954&ref_url=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F

It works perfectly for what I want but there is only one issue; The package size which is a 20-Pin TSSOP.

While this will be going on a new design I am a little concerned to go that small / close pins. It will be soldered using a solder stencil and oven but it is a concern that I may start introducing an unneeded failure point with bridged joints. Every other IC in my design is the larger SOIC type footprint and I can handle them fine with a solder mask and my oven. I am relatively new to doing proper SMD designs and using solder stencils an soldering in my oven so I have kept at SOIC and 0805 type sizes and I dont want the handling and repairing to be a major headache either.

So, I wondered if there was a similar IC to the TXS0108EPW that comes in a 20 pin SOIC package.  At worse case if I will have to use the TXS0108EPW, I will, but if possible I would rather reduced the risk and find a part that is not so high density.

I have only ever soldered one TSSOP package which was a 32 pin square device and I had to put the solder paste on by hand so maybe I am being over cautious and it would be fine with a proper solder stencil.

Your experience and advice is welcome

Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 04:34:37 pm by castingflame »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf