Author Topic: Multiple Network/WiFi Connections  (Read 1119 times)

Offline metrologistTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Multiple Network/WiFi Connections
« on: September 15, 2017, 04:43:19 pm »
I'm wondering what would be required if I wanted to use multiple wifi adapters and wired network all at the same time in Windows.

For example, to connect to both a wifi AND Ethernet enabled instrument, and have Internet via a wifi hotspot or a USB broadband modem.

Offline BroMarduk

• Supporter
Re: Multiple Network/WiFi Connections
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 06:51:10 pm »
You will need to correctly configure your subnetting, and IP addresses for each of the networks, and will need a separate router for each Wi-Fi network (assuming you want them all separate).   If you want to continue to have an internet connection, then you will need to make sure your primary network has a gateway.

That said, you can probably still connect to all of them with a single hub if you set things up correctly.   Are you going for isolation or just want to talk to multiple instruments?

Offline HB9EVI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:02:13 pm »
I cannot say much about the windows world; but sure you can run multiple network interface parallel. The question is more what for? Multihoming, so parallel use of two or more upstream internet connection is at least for IPv4 more than just unpractical; IPv6 at least brings the multihoming feature natively, so call source based routing. In the end, your OS mostly sets the limits how you can practically use multiple network connections

Offline metrologistTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:06:12 pm »
I am running a software application that communicates with several instruments that are on the network or are accessible through the Internet, and it also needs to access other Internet-based resources. There is no problem when using an internet connected computer and all instruments are on the same network and/or are available from the Internet (no firewall issues).

The situation came up where the PC  and at least one of the instruments had to be mobile. The instruments must communicate through an Ethernet port, so to be mobile we either use a x-over cable or use a wifi router configured as an AP connected to the instrument, and used the PC wifi connection to the AP. This worked fine when we had just one instrument, but the Internet requirement and use of multiple instruments in the field and online now presents.

I read mixed things online about Win10 being able to support multiple wifi connections - it worked, MS broke it but stated it will be (is?) supported. Not sure about other Windows versions. I just don't have all the hardware here to set it all up (no wifi on my PC or mobile Internet myself), so I'm just guessing how it should work...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:09:38 pm by metrologist »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf