Author Topic: My Newark Order is Messy. Typical?  (Read 448 times)

Offline NT0ZTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Stealth Amateur Radio
My Newark Order is Messy. Typical?
« on: January 29, 2023, 02:29:27 am »
Hi, gang,

A year ago I ordered a bunch of SMD caps from a Newark sale, and I just got around to unboxing them.

Of the 60 individual bags, half had a stick-on label that showed the description of the actual part's value. Half the bags only had a dozen or so cryptic stock numbers, pick codes, etc, but NO indication of part values. And the SMD parts themselves have no visible designators.

I had to cross-ref the 16-digit item codes on the bag stickers with the codes on the packing list. Of course, everything is in 4-point "mouse type" (about 12 pages of it).

This was tedious and took a long time, which makes the sale savings less attractive.

Actually, if this is a standard thing with Newark, I don't think I'll be back. Is it standard?

Of course, Newark HAD to have lost money on my order. Sixty tiny "ziploc" bags with SMD parts inside were each packaged in giant bubble mailers, and the giant mass of mailers came to me from three warehouses. The caps, which can fit inside a cigar box, had a shipping volume equal to that of a dorm fridge (almost).

Now, I use the mailers as package padding when selling on eBay, but c'mon, there can't be any profit in my $60 order with that much packaging material, multiple warehouse drops, etc. So, if Newark is trying to discourage me from doing business there, I get it. And it's mostly working. :)

What have you experienced?

I usually buy from Digi-Key, which is near me in MN. But Newark had a great sale...   :)

Thanks,

Kirk, NT0Z

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
Re: My Newark Order is Messy. Typical?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 05:25:27 pm »
I use Digi-Key.  Never had a problem with orders from them.

Never used Newark, but if I had and I had an experience like yours, I would have used them only once.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline TassiloH

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 06:28:43 pm »
Looks like they haven't changed their ways in the last 15 years or so |O Back during my time in the US, I ordered a lot of SMT components from them (they were a preferred vendor for the university) for a project, lots of different resistor and capacitor values, but mostly 10 or less of each value. Received two big boxes filled with padded mailing envelopes, each containing a plastic bag with the little piece of cut tape. Not all of them had the values on the label, but as I had to check for completeness I had the order with the info at hand.

Offline NT0ZTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Stealth Amateur Radio
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 09:56:24 am »
Wow. My experience exactly. :)

I figured -- and I was hoping -- that this was some kind of temporary Covid Madness issue...

--KK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf