Author Topic: My purchase list for my new lab -- budget $1000+, thoughts?  (Read 34823 times)

Offline AnyNameWillDoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: My purchase list for my new lab -- budget $1000+, thoughts?
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2018, 01:27:59 pm »
I buy my tweezers from Sparkfun:
https://www.sparkfun.com/search/results?term=tweezer

I like my strippers to include 30 AWG since that is a common wire-wrap size and is typical for 'patches'
https://www.amazon.com/Stripper-Stranded-Klein-Tools-11057/dp/B000XEUPMQ

Xacto Knife set:
https://www.amazon.com/Xacto-X5282-Basic-Knife-Set/dp/B00004Z2UB
Handy to have around...

Thanks -- I had come across that Klein set as well but was unsure if it was common to need to strip wires of < 20-22 AWG. How often do you find yourself needing to strip wires of that gauge?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2018, 02:53:54 pm »
All the time. 22ga is about the thickest you’ll use for most of the kinds of electronics you described!! Fine wire needs a proper stripper, the thick stuff you can strip with an adjustable stripper or even with cutters and skill in a pinch.

P.S. did you see I sent you a PM?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:58:25 pm by tooki »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2018, 04:02:28 pm »
If you are going to work with microcontrollers, then I recommend you add a basic logic analyzer to your list

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2018, 04:10:28 pm »
If you are going to work with microcontrollers, then I recommend you add a basic logic analyzer to your list

I do indeed (already) own an... Arduino/Elegoo/whichever. Any particular analyzer you consider a good pick? How is this? https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Analyzer-Ferrite-Channel-Arduino/dp/B077LSG5P2/

All the time. 22ga is about the thickest you’ll use for most of the kinds of electronics you described!! Fine wire needs a proper stripper, the thick stuff you can strip with an adjustable stripper or even with cutters and skill in a pinch.

I was probably unclear in my post, the strippers linked are for 20-30 AWG solid, 22-32 AWG stranded -- I was curious if AWG less than this is encountered often enough to warrant getting an additional set of strippers for lower AWG.

I see the PM, responding privately.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:17:27 pm by AnyNameWillDo »

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2018, 04:19:51 pm »

I like my strippers to include 30 AWG since that is a common wire-wrap size and is typical for 'patches'
https://www.amazon.com/Stripper-Stranded-Klein-Tools-11057/dp/B000XEUPMQ

Thanks -- I had come across that Klein set as well but was unsure if it was common to need to strip wires of < 20-22 AWG. How often do you find yourself needing to strip wires of that gauge?

I don't often strip wire larger than 20 AWG.  I have more than one pair of strippers so it's not much of a problem when larger sizes come along.

The following users thanked this post: AnyNameWillDo

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2018, 04:32:15 pm »
Yeah, I was about to mention that, but with a different tack. It's good to get some basic gear, such as a DMM and power supply, that are known good and on which you can rely (or at least send back under warranty if it fails).

Then, if you're curious about or are already into fixing things, the US abounds in used test gear. You can acquire A-brand equipment at discounted prices that may work perfectly (e.g., seller doesn't understand the gear) or have varying levels of problems and test/fix them using the gear you trust. It makes for a great bang-for-buck way to build out your lab and learn at the same time.

Ah bitseeker, good on you for recruiting new TEA members. >:D

I agree. Especially for PSUs. New, high quality linear PSUs are expensive. But in the US, high quality, perfectly functioning, used ones can be easily found.

Offline HB9EVI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2018, 04:44:45 pm »
Yea, just a pity that the US market doesn't really show interest to sell overseas - if you consider the insane shipping costs

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2018, 05:09:32 pm »

I was probably unclear in my post, the strippers linked are for 20-30 AWG solid, 22-32 AWG stranded -- I was curious if AWG less than this is encountered often enough to warrant getting an additional set of strippers for lower AWG.
You might eventually. But strippers for large gauge don’t need to be made as precisely as the ones for thin wire, so if you get to a project where you need to strip thicker wire, you can absolutely get a cheap pair (or an automatic wire stripper) at Wal Mart, Home Depot, or eBay and it’ll be totally fine, whereas cheap strippers for thin wire tend to damage the wire. I have Hakko strippers for fine wire, an eBay automatic one for medium, and for thicker stuff a Jokari automatic stripper.

So I’d go with the ones you linked, and then if the need arises for thicker wire, buy some cheaper stripper for them then.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2018, 05:23:13 pm »

I do indeed (already) own an... Arduino/Elegoo/whichever. Any particular analyzer you consider a good pick? How is this? https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Analyzer-Ferrite-Channel-Arduino/dp/B077LSG5P2/

It is OK.  It is limited to 8 channels, but most modern protocols are serial (1, 2, 4 wires).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2018, 05:48:06 pm »
It is OK.  It is limited to 8 channels, but most modern protocols are serial (1, 2, 4 wires).

Not sure I understand what that means exactly -- but is there a better option you'd recommend?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 05:57:44 pm by AnyNameWillDo »

Offline luiHS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2018, 05:54:25 pm »

Some of my suggestions:

Multitester: much better a bench Multitester, I do not understand why those small portable testers are still used to work at home or in the laboratory, they are very uncomfortable. Small, always occupying a space on the work table that is needed for other things, bothering and overturning easily. The ideal is a bench Multitester, located on a shelf, at a height as close as possible to the eyes.

This is my bench tester, a UNI-T UT804, since I changed my portable tester, for this bench tester, the work is infinitely more comfortable.

Soldering station: The Hakko are fine, but they are expensive, you have good quality alternatives and better prices. This is my Baku 878 L2, a double station, with hot air soldering and fine tip soldering iron. I also have a 100W MLINK S4 for welds that need power.

Electronic components: I use almost everything in SMD, which I buy on reels and when I place them manually on PCBs, I store them in these small boxes, there are several colors and sizes, and they can be assembled between them.

For large components, use plastic boxes. Now that I have bought a Pick and Place Neoden4 machine, I will stop using the boxes for SMD and I will only have reels to load into the machine.

Oscilloscope: Hantek is a good brand and quite cheap. I have this 2x 100Mhz oscilloscope that also includes an 8-channel logic analyzer. Very satisfied with the product.

Power Supply: Nowadays I only use these programmable power supply, they are very cheap, reliable and very versatile. I also have a Chinese variable power supply, but I practically no longer use it.

Shelves : it is important to have everything more or less ordered. I bought these aluminum shelves some time ago, they were very cheap, if I had more free space I would buy another set of shelves of these.

Advanced tools for SMD: As well as everything I design and amount is SMD, I bought a microscope, a Reflow Oven and a Neoden4 Pick and Place machine recently. Also I have a ton of stencils to apply solder paste to PCB.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 06:05:06 pm by luiHS »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2018, 05:54:44 pm »
Pliers: Skip the Knipex and get them from Schmitz. Better quality and lower cost. My order only took 11 days to arrive.
  • 4202HS22 (long snipe nose, serrated; you'll want a pair of these for gripping parts being removed from a PCB for example.
  • 4221HS22* (short flat nose pliers, smooth; great for bending leads without nicking them)
  • 4231HS22* (smooth round nose; also meant for bending leads)
Shipped, all 3 pairs would run ~$94 (used xe.com for currency conversion), and they take PayPal.
* Equivalent to what you linked.

Flush Cutters:
  • Erem 670EP (tapered relieved head allows you to get into tight spots). Treat them gently (no steel, so check with a magnet first).
  • Erem 612N (more of a general purpose size, more meat in the jaws = you'll be able to cut a bit larger wire gauge).
These ^ are typically $120 & $70 respectively. Definitely a bargain, so keep that in mind.

Like the Schmitz, if you take reasonable care, they'll last you decades. Oh, and they can be resharpened by any electronic cutter manufacturer (it's an inexpensive service).

Tweezers:
  • 0 SA (these would be a substitute for AA-SA, which is the pattern you linked)
  • 5 SA (if you need a really fine tipped pair; particularly useful under a microscope)
  • 7 SA (curved tip, more ergonomic IME)
The first 2 pair are Italian made and of decent quality (just a bit behind Swiss, which is where the Erem is made). Pricing is excellent on these as well. Typically ~$20 per pair for Italian, and $30+ for Swiss made.

None of these are inexpensive hand tools, but you seem dead set on decent stuff. The above list will get you that at very decent prices.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2018, 09:54:00 pm »
Those are some really nice selections, nanofrog -- definitely picking some of these up as well.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2018, 10:49:05 pm »
Those are some really nice selections, nanofrog -- definitely picking some of these up as well.
You're welcome.  :)

There's even threads that cover these things in quite a bit of detail if you're interested. It could save you further funds if you dig and have the patience to search eBay. It's also good to help avoid expensive mistakes. Biggest trick IME is finding out who the actual ODM is; this is where Schmitz comes in. Ideal-Tek is another for top quality Swiss made tweezers.

You've not mentioned screwdrivers, but that's covered too.  8)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2018, 10:55:41 pm »
Biggest trick IME is finding out who the actual ODM is; this is where Schmitz comes in.

I came across this fact as well when I was searching for mentions of Schmitz -- I am surprised they don't come up more often in online discussions compared to Knipex, etc.

You've not mentioned screwdrivers, but that's covered too.  8)

Those are what I'm looking into now, actually (that and the logic analyzer) before finally pulling the trigger on this big purchase.

Edit: Oh, the Analog Discovery 2 is such an analyzer... now time to compare that to others... found this one: Logic 8 (Red) - Saleae 8-Channel Logic Analyzer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Q2H3BF/

Edit: Nvm still need to get a bunch of leads too, oy!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:39:04 pm by AnyNameWillDo »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2018, 11:52:11 pm »

Edit: Oh, the Analog Discovery 2 is such an analyzer... now time to compare that to others... found this one: Logic 8 (Red) - Saleae 8-Channel Logic Analyzer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Q2H3BF/

You need to fully appreciate the entire scope of the Analog Discovery 2.  Sure, it has 16 channels that can be either input or output.  And, yes, you can code up patterns to be transferred out.  Decoding is a given.  And all of that is a very small percentage of the capability of the AD2.  ETA:  It works as a logic analyzer as well.

It has dual power supplies.  Yes they are current limited but the  limit goes up if you feed the gadget with a wall wart instead of relying on USB power.  They are entirely adequate for breadboarding small projects like amplifiers and such.  If you need more power, use an external source.

It has a dual channel scope with 14 bit resolution compare to just 8 bits for the Rigol (and most others).  Fine, that's no big deal, it's just a scope.  Right up until you use it as a network analyzer (Bode' Plot) or Spectrum Analyzer or dual channel DMM or Impedance Analyzer.

Then there is the dual channel Arbitrary Waveform Generator.  Sure, there are frequency limits and it won't replace a $500 dedicated AWG but the features are standard equipment for the AD2.

Here's the list of capabilities:
Two-channel USB digital oscilloscope (1MΩ, ±25V, differential, 14-bit, 100MS/s, 30MHz+ bandwidth - with the Analog Discovery BNC Adapter Board)
Two-channel arbitrary function generator (±5V, 14-bit, 100MS/s, 12MHz+ bandwidth - with the Analog Discovery BNC Adapter Board)
Stereo audio amplifier to drive external headphones or speakers with replicated AWG signals
16-channel digital logic analyzer (3.3V CMOS and 1.8V or 5V tolerant, 100MS/s)
16-channel pattern generator (3.3V CMOS, 100MS/s)
16-channel virtual digital I/O including buttons, switches, and LEDs – perfect for logic training applications
Two input/output digital trigger signals for linking multiple instruments (3.3V CMOS)
Single channel voltmeter (AC, DC, ±25V)
Network Analyzer – Bode, Nyquist, Nichols transfer diagrams of a circuit. Range: 1Hz to 10MHz
Spectrum Analyzer – power spectrum and spectral measurements (noise floor, SFDR, SNR, THD, etc.)
Digital Bus Analyzers (SPI, I²C, UART, Parallel)
Data Logger - Exportable data and plot functionality
Impedance Analyzer - Capacitive and Inductive Elements
Protocol Analyzer - SPI, I2C, and UART
Two programmable power supplies (0…+5V , 0…-5V). The maximum available output current and power depend on the Analog Discovery 2 powering choice:
500mW total when powered through USB. (Each supply can provide between 0mW and 500mW so long as the total does not exceed 500mW.)
2.1W max for each supply when powered by an auxiliary supply.
700mA maximum current for each supply.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:53:51 pm by rstofer »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2018, 12:18:59 am »
[Screwdrivers] are what I'm looking into now... [snip].

Edit: Nvm still need to get a bunch of leads too, oy!
Wiha makes decent screwdrivers and offer more patterns than any other precision electronic screwdriver manufacturer ATM. But there are other brands, and personal preference plays a big role (Were's grips for example).

For a starting point, you could get a Wiha 26190 (3 Philips & 4 Slotted screwdrivers + free 6.3" needle nose pliers). Then add profiles as necessary. Another way to go about it would be using their System 4 blade systems (can get into deeper recesses than 1" bits) or the Drive-Loc variants.

As per test leads, I'd suggest looking at Probemaster. Top quality stuff, but less expensive than Fluke or Pomona.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2018, 12:19:47 am »
You need to fully appreciate the entire scope of the Analog Discovery 2.  Sure, it has 16 channels that can be either input or output.  And, yes, you can code up patterns to be transferred out.  Decoding is a given.  And all of that is a very small percentage of the capability of the AD2.  ETA:  It works as a logic analyzer as well.

It has dual power supplies.  Yes they are current limited but the  limit goes up if you feed the gadget with a wall wart instead of relying on USB power.  They are entirely adequate for breadboarding small projects like amplifiers and such.  If you need more power, use an external source.

It has a dual channel scope with 14 bit resolution compare to just 8 bits for the Rigol (and most others).  Fine, that's no big deal, it's just a scope.  Right up until you use it as a network analyzer (Bode' Plot) or Spectrum Analyzer or dual channel DMM or Impedance Analyzer.

Then there is the dual channel Arbitrary Waveform Generator.  Sure, there are frequency limits and it won't replace a $500 dedicated AWG but the features are standard equipment for the AD2.

Also came across these from the same manufacturer:

http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/adalm1000.html

http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/adalm2000.html

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2018, 12:42:04 am »

Also came across these from the same manufacturer:

http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/adalm1000.html

http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/adalm2000.html

Not exactly the same manufacturer.  Analog Devices builds the ADALM devices and Digilent builds the AD2 but the project is sponsored by Analog Devices.  There's a close relationship...  All Digilent products seem to be sponsored, Xilinx, Micron, Analog Devices, etc.  In fact, their logos are on the silkscreen of the related boards.

I can't find out very much about the User Interface for the Analog Devices gadget.  Clearly it is less money but I can't convince myself that they provide much beyond an interface to Matlab and some kind of library.  I stand to be corrected on this.

Digilent provides the Waveform software and an interface library.  The software can be downloaded and the various gadgets used in Demo mode.  Not entirely satisfactory, there is no live data, but it does provide a demonstration of all of the capabilities.

There are various options and downloading is free:
https://store.digilentinc.com/all-products/software/

All of these are targeted at students and highly subsidized when you can use the student discount (unfortunately, they don't have a retired geezer discount).  I have probably been using their FPGA boards for 12 years or so.  I like them a lot!

The AD2 is literally a lab that fits in a pocket.  Toss it in a backpack along with a laptop and you have all the diagnostic tools you are likely to need.  Certainly enough for experimenting in  a dorm room which is their target.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 06:57:47 am by rstofer »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2018, 12:55:25 am »
I may be misreading things but it still seems like the AD2 has more to offer compared to the ADALM1000, ADALM2000, and the Saleae (despite the former two being newer, as far as I can tell) -- and apparently while the Saleae is quite good at analyzing logic it doesn't have all the tools the AD2 offers.

Offline Relayer

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2018, 01:06:52 am »
Hello AnyNameWillDo,
You need to seriously gauge what you want to do in the field of electronics.
What are you main interests? SMPS design and manufacture, working with audio
and/or RF gear, Arduino related projects etc.
Its the particular thing you're keen on, is what should dictate in what gear you
should get initially.
With some of the examples given in this thread so far, just one item may cost you
more than a grand. You need to be very picky, otherwise you'll have items you may
never use or go broke in buying all the wrong thing/s..
Good quality tools, soldering iron/s, consumables, and various components, decent
multi-meter/s are a MUST, the rest are just luxuries.
An oscilloscope would be the next buy, but that's if you have money left over.
Next item should be something you're going to specialise in, and not get an item coz
it looks great in the workshop, but you'll rarely use. See below:

Regards,
Relayer
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:08:30 am by Relayer »

Offline KWKolb

• Contributor
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2018, 01:09:22 am »
The Analog Devices ADALM2000 is not widely available yet.  I was told they were waiting on a part and someone got one in shrink tubing instead of a case.  At least one person has had one on order for a year.

The ADALM2000 uses freely available software called SCOPY.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2018, 01:18:47 am »
Hello AnyNameWillDo,
You need to seriously gauge what you want to do in the field of electronics.
What are you main interests? SMPS design and manufacture, working with audio
and/or RF gear, Arduino related projects etc.
Its the particular thing you're keen on, is what should dictate in what gear you
should get initially.
With some of the examples given in this thread so far, just one item may cost you
more than a grand. You need to be very picky, otherwise you'll have items you may
never use or go broke in buying all the wrong thing/s..
Good quality tools, soldering iron/s, consumables, and various components, decent
multi-meter/s are a MUST, the rest are just luxuries.
An oscilloscope would be the next buy, but that's if you have money left over.
Next item should be something you're going to specialise in, and not get an item coz
it looks great in the workshop, but you'll rarely use. See below:

I mentioned some examples in an earlier post but by and large I am just interested in learning, experimenting, creating, etc.

I think most of the tools I've focused on so far have pretty wide applicability in any electronics lab (oscilloscopes, PSUs, multimeters, solder, solder suckers, wick, flux, soldering station, flush cutters, pliers, tweezers, strippers, breadboards, etc).

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2018, 02:27:22 am »
 Don't rush to load up, enjoy the process as long as you can.  Buy on needs as you likely already know.  Those that are needed shall need hot spare set, and unlikely you can get the same expensive one as hot spare.  You know what I am leading to, get the best good-enough FIRst.  The good enough was barely good enough last time, but now the quality has improved hugely  The kick is gone once you are loaded with the "prized" piece, keep it out there and they are improving as you wait.  While you slowly choose, your value of $1000 is increasing (dun know how Trump's vs Moore's law going to work out though)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:29:04 am by all_repair »

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2018, 02:31:42 am »
I should like to point out that the Analog Discovery is *very*  fragile.  It's far too easy to let the magic smoke out.  You're limited to 25 V on the analog channels and 3.3 V on the digital channels.  I'd be rather nervous connecting one to an Arduino without level shifters from 5 to 3.3 V.  I should not want to find out what happens without the level shifters.

An MSO such as my Instek MSO-2204EA is 300 V on the analog channels and 40 V on the digital channels.  Those ratings seem to be the norm for Rigol, Siglent etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf