Author Topic: Need advice on buying an electronic load.  (Read 1387 times)

Offline FriedMuleTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Can make even the simplest task look imposible.
Need advice on buying an electronic load.
« on: January 10, 2019, 05:05:29 am »
I have looked trough Daves videos and others on electronic loads. I did wary fast learn that there are a lot of "trap for young players":-)
Dave has shown that the BK load has a noise problem.

The load I do need is fairly small and therefor also cheap even in the top'ish brand names.
Real quality, no made in a back ally, Min 35V 8A DC load :-)

I have looked at Itech, Keithley and so on, but I do not have enough knowledge to make a good choice.
But what about the price, I'd rather pay a bit more if I get quality then settle on a price befor hand.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:09:18 am by FriedMule »
Even if I appear online is it not necessary so, my computer is on 24/7 even if I am not on.

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Re: Need advice on buying an electronic load.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 10:16:58 am »
Just to confirm, you are looking for an electronic DC load (not a Power Supply), correct?

If you are looking for an electronic DC load there are several manufactures and models to choose from including Itech, Rigol, BK Precision, and others.  There is a line of thought that a number of the entry/midrange models are descendants of a particular design/designer.  With some good searching you might find such story.

Around here (EEV Land) one of the more popular manufacturers has been Maynuo.  They make a few models that are neither the least expensive or most expensive and they tend to have pretty good but probably not super great front panel user interfaces, and they have an option for a computer interface.  Their display lets you see how your settings and DUT result in Volts, Amps, Ohms, and Watts - so it’s pretty useful if you need a DC load.  Once you become familiar with their front panel UI it will allow you to make changes to settings pretty easily and quickly.

Just recently in another thread near yours a discussion has started about a Korad DC load.  It seems to be less expensive than the Maynuo models but with less features (no numeric key pad?) - it might be worth a look see.

If you can frame more specific questions you will probably get more replies from people who use DC loads.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:22:11 am by Electro Fan »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:36:22 am »
Yes it is a load I am looking for:-)
And you are right in that I would get more replys if I did write my question better, but I do not know how and what to ask.
I want a quallity load that I can use to simulate inrush current, changing voltage demands and so on.
Lets say that I use my oscilloscope and measure an opstart of a motor and "replay" that on the load to design a power supply that can handle that task.

Hmm it is my thread but started this tread since the other one only is about a specific unknown load, maybe I am breaking some rules?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:40:54 am by FriedMule »
Even if I appear online is it not necessary so, my computer is on 24/7 even if I am not on.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 10:46:38 am »

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 07:32:33 pm »

I want a quallity load that I can use to simulate inrush current, changing voltage demands and so on.
Lets say that I use my oscilloscope and measure an opstart of a motor and "replay" that on the load to design a power supply that can handle that task.

As a guess, motor inrush will be on the order of 6x to 10x  full load current.  Take your 85A spec, divide by 10 and you can probably mimic a motor with a full load current of around 8A.  At 35v, that is 280 Watts for the motor or around 1/3 HP.  Is that where you need to be?

I know exactly nothing about electronic loads...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 11:55:12 pm »
It is for small DC motors but now I think about it, maybe also for transformers, so 8A is a bit low.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf