Author Topic: Need advise on a new Oscilloscope to meet my requirement but lost on brans  (Read 3428 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Need advise on a new Oscilloscope to meet my requirement but lost on brans
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2022, 10:15:05 pm »
Anyways I'm sure you'll be quite happy with SDS1202X-E

I'd say only if the money is really important and/or the $399 deal doesn't reappear.  The SDS1104X-E is a much better 2-channel 200MHz scope than the SDS1202X-E.   :-DD
Sure, certainly at $ 399 the SDS1104X-E is a hell of a deal as you well know and when it was around I couldn't understand why they were offered so cheap, the same price as SDS1104X-U !
I still think it was a mistake when the X-E may have been sold by mistake instead of the X-U.  :-//

SDS1202X-E OTOH has been reduced until years end to $ 339 which makes it good buying if you need the BW.
A little like SDS2202X-E which offers 2 GSa/s sampling in a 350 MHz design for just $ 620.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline SystopsTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Systopian Solutions, Small Business Consulting
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2022, 12:02:25 am »
Unfortnately money is a bit of an issue, especially since I have to lay out the cash before I get my refund on the Hantek 2D10.  The Siglent Technologies SDS1202X-E 200 mhz Digital Oscilloscope 2 Channels I managed to get for $279 on Amazon, which I thought was a great price considering.

The Siglent Technologies SDS1104X-U 100MHz Super Phosphor Digital Oscilloscopes 4 Channels I was able to find for $399, but I am not sure I can justify that price, I mean how much more am I truly getting for the extra $100? Would it have been a better idea to have gone with this 4 channel as opposed to the 2 channel I ordered? I mean I can always return the 2 channels if the extra $100 would truly make a large enough difference that it would be silly not to upgrade? I will leave that up to you guys to decide as you know far more then I. I am almost considering purchasing it, and seeing for myself, but I would hate to do that since I know the seller will get charged for the return. So it might be good for me, but the seller may be none too happy. That is, if the seller actually wants it back. It seems that many sellers would rather let you keep a returned item then pay Amazon to process the return. After all, this is how I got the Hantek 2D72 handheld scope for free, they told me to keep t and still refunded me. I mean that can't be good for the seller... That said, if you all think I should go with the 4 channel, then I will order that one, and return the 2 channel which will be here tomorrow.

I would love to hear your thoughts between the two, 2 channel vs 4 channel, though they are different model numbers.

Cheers,

John aka Systops

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2022, 12:31:44 am »
In reality we do the largest portion of scope work with just a channel or 2 and decoding protocols and sussing digital systems are the primary needs for more channels but some never even do this sort of work.
Going to 4 channels early gives you the chance to follow these paths if needed or just work in a more constrained style with just 2 channels.
For $120 more I say instead consider putting that towards an AWG.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2022, 02:10:29 am »
If debugging the SPI interface is ever a consideration (and for the most part it could be done with a logic analyzer), 4 channels is nice because the bus uses 4 signals.  You trigger on CS' and watch MOSI, MISO and SCK.  That fills up all 4 channels.

You not only get decoding, you get to see signal quality and that's something you simply can't do with a LA.

As I said, a logic analyzer is another approach but really fast LAs aren't free either.  It sort of depends on how fast you are running the bus.

When you buy a LA, make sure it has a state clock input for debugging sequential circuits like Finite State Machines.

I really WANTED the 4 channels.  I can't say that I really NEED them because I got along for decades with a 10 MHz 2 channel Heathkit.  You just need to be creative!

I like having 4 channels...

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2022, 04:44:56 am »
Well, you guys talked me into it! I decided to buy the Siglent Technologies SDS1104X-U 100MHz Super Phosphor Digital Oscilloscopes 4 Channels  :)

I will return the Siglent Technologies SDS1202X-E 200 mhz Digital Oscilloscope 2 Channels when it comes in. I will have to open it, and come up with a good excuse as to why I am returning it, so that I don't have to pay the return shipping. Perhaps I will go with the "The product description didn't match what I received". I will use this because the product description keeps mentioning features that come on the 4 channels, and it had me a bit confused!  :-/O  :-DD

I figured you guys really made a good case for the 4 channel because I have a ton of Raspberries and Arduino as well as a few ESP32's, all of which have SPI, and I use SPI quite a bit, infact, I use UART, 12C, and SPI quite a bit, so I can see where this will come in handy!

While I really did not want to spend that much, I will just have to take a break from purchasing for a whole, and I hope, but doubt it will come with all 4 probes, I think the 4 channels usually only come with 2, and I have another 2 from my Hantek, though that may not work if I next them and the 2 I have only go up to 80Mhz, so I don't believe I can use these with this scope as I am sure that mixing 2 different spec'ed probes can be used together. I am sure that would screw up my data. Either way, if this scope is everything you all say it is and it has better features than the 2 channel, it sounds like I may be in business.

What I would really like, though since I am not a retailed, or a professional, I would suspect that Siglent wouldn't be willing to send me a test board with it, though i am going to ask :) lol,

Thanks again for the advise!

John aka Systops

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2022, 05:03:24 pm »
Not only did I get the Siglent Technologies SDS1104X-U 100MHz Super Phosphor Digital Oscilloscopes 4 Channels for $399, but the Amazon rep gave me a $50 discount because I told him that the Siglent Technologies SDS1202X-E 200 mhz Digital Oscilloscope 2 Channels was defective so I could return it free.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn :-DD :-DD :-DD

YAY, so I will have the 4 channel one tomorrow!

Cheers

John aka Systops

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2022, 06:06:39 pm »
While I really did not want to spend that much
for $399

come and live in the uk and pay at least  £60 (around $70)  more

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2022, 01:56:25 am »
No thanks I will pass! Once I get the new scope tomorrow, the price will actually go down to $349 :)  So I am not going to complain! :)

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2022, 04:10:41 am »
I'm trying to digest what you are up to here, I don't have the time to read huge walls of text.   

From what i gather you have customers and if so that implies professional usage.   If that is the case I really don't understand your focus on extremely low end scopes.   For professional usage I've paid more than $300 for a DMM.   So when it comes to scopes it might help to define what you are doing with them.

One other thing, these days I'm not too sure there is much wisdom in buying a two channel scope.    Technology has made 4 channel scope very affordable and of high quality.    The only thing to be careful of here is to make sure that you are not cut short on digitizing capability.

If this was a shoe string hobby I'd be far more inclined to support the cheap end.   Such instruments though usually quickly show their limitations in professional use.  This post is likely late but if the purchase has yet to be made I'd see if the budget could be rerigged for something higher end.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf