Author Topic: Need help in finding replacement capacitor for Pfaff 332 sewingmachine foot.  (Read 259 times)

Offline ErikSTopic starter

My sewingmachine (Pfaff Model 332-260) suddenly started to continue running even with the pedal not pressed down. I took it apart and it seems that the capacitor is shorted, allowing current to always run through. The Info on the cap: EROID  0,05µF  250V~  -55*/+105*  F1174  P
2121947-0
2121953-1

I have a donor machine of a slightly newer variant, but it has some extra components in the foot, though a similar capacitor. The info on that cap is: Typ 9748  sp 2  5 MHz  250V~  -20* +100*  0,05µF + 1,8MΩ  (+a diagram of a cap and resistor in parallel)
2121959-2
2121965-3

Could I use the donor capacitor? Or is it just better to buy a new one? In that case, what would be a good replacement? Note that the input voltage is 230V AC.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 11:12:55 am by ErikS »

Online tunk

• Frequent Contributor
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago with a Bernette sewing
machine (plus smelly magic smoke). It was a Rifa 0.1uF 250V~ X capacitor.
Replaced with a salvaged 0.1uF 250V~ X2 capacitor. If it's across 230V,
then I think it should be a X2 safety capacitor.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
I think it would work fine if you simply remove the capacitor. But I would buy an new cap to replace.

Offline ErikSTopic starter

I think it would work fine if you simply remove the capacitor. But I would buy an new cap to replace.

That reminds me I dont know what the cap does in this circuit. What does it do? From what I see it is shorted as soon as the pedal is pressed down one "step".  (I dont know a lot about electronics btw)

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
I think it's a snubber to suppress the arcing when you release the pedal.

The following users thanked this post: ErikS

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf